uniqs

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

[Services] ATT phone service question

I realize this isn't "internet" or DSL/Uverse related but I hope someone can offer some input...

What are the "rules" regarding porting a telephone number from one provider to another ? In our case (work), we currently have TWC biz-class service for phone and internet. We moved to a new location (same city, same zip, 1-2 miles distance) and when we set up the transfer, the rep didn't advise us that a new phone # was required due to us being a different "rate center". From there, it's been a total screw-up on TWC's part... All they can offer now is to keep our old number and pay for "remote call forwarding" each month.

So, my question is, what restrictions, if any, are there in regards to "porting" our number if we switch from TWC to ATT for local phone service ? Will ATT be unable to use the old number just like TWC because it's in a different rate center ?

I did call and get pricing for phone service and asked the phone rep and he quickly responded it wouldn't be a problem. When I asked him about U-Verse expansion, he launched into a script about ATT's 4G expansion plans... Makes me hesitant about believing him. Finally, I had made it clear that I just needed pricing but he pushed for our current phone # so he could "get this order placed".

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

You might ask to have your thread moved to the VoIP forum, where there are a few people who know the whole book of LNP rules.

Was your # originally from AT&T or Time Warner? That is, was your service from AT&T long ago, before being ported to TW?

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

No, it's a "new" number, created by Time Warner.

I'll request this be moved... Do you mean the generic VOIP forum ? I don't see one under AT&T unless you meant U-Verse.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

Yes, generic. AT&T Uverse and TWC both use VoIP so it shouldn't be a stretch.

tooearly
@sbc.com

tooearly to Hall

Anon

to Hall
numbers don't leave their rate center. If you have changed rate centers, you will not be able to take the number with you. Moving rate centers can cause conflicts with numbers having the same prefix but from different area codes and that can't happen. So to avoid that issue, numbers stay in their rate center.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Rate centers are defined by the FCC, i.e. TWC, ATT, etc all are bound by the same "boundaries" ?

Does ATT offer a similar call-forwarding option ? I know for landlines they do. Was it called "trunk" something ?

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
Just start a thread with all of your questions (copy from here/paste there will be fine) in this forum:

»VOIP Tech Chat

That where all of us VoIP/LNP types hang out...