dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to Draiman

to Draiman

Re: The renovation continues ... today new 400 amp service!

said by Draiman:

said by alkizmo:

said by Cho Baka:

I can't begin to imagine the need for 400A.

Sometimes it's because of the house's livable sqf that puts it in the 400A requirement, not because there are enough appliances needing it.

I wouldn't even want to take a guess at the size of that house!

up here 400 amps is pretty common. We have cities that zone for "intergeneration" houses which are basically a 3-4 bedroom house with a bungalow hanging off the side. Since they dont want people buying these and using the bungalow as an income suite they wont let them be separately metered or heated. Since in quebec we are majoritarly heated with electricity a house this big on a single service needs a big entrance. One house i visited with a collegue had an electric forced air furnace heating a 4 bedroom house and a 3 bedroom bungalow attached, the furnace alone called for 150 amps. The bungalow had a 100 amp panel and the 4 bedroom a 200 amp panel. I have a feeling when it gets cold in the winter and that furnace fires up you will get a breeze from the disk on the meter!

pferrie3
join:2005-01-27
Boston, MA

pferrie3

said by telco_mtl:

up here 400 amps is pretty common. We have cities that zone for "intergeneration" houses which are basically a 3-4 bedroom house with a bungalow hanging off the side. Since they dont want people buying these and using the bungalow as an income suite they wont let them be separately metered or heated. Since in quebec we are majoritarly heated with electricity a house this big on a single service needs a big entrance. One house i visited with a collegue had an electric forced air furnace heating a 4 bedroom house and a 3 bedroom bungalow attached, the furnace alone called for 150 amps. The bungalow had a 100 amp panel and the 4 bedroom a 200 amp panel. I have a feeling when it gets cold in the winter and that furnace fires up you will get a breeze from the disk on the meter!

the disk would prob spin fast enough to be used as a table saw

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit

Draiman to telco_mtl

to telco_mtl
I don't see how not allowing people to separate meters stops them from generating income on a bungalow. I'd just include electric in the month fee and rent it out anyways. That or I'd install a TED on the circuits that go to that bungalow and charge them for their usage each month.

»www.theenergydetective.com/
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

said by Draiman:

I don't see how not allowing people to separate meters stops them from generating income on a bungalow. I'd just include electric in the month fee and rent it out anyways. That or I'd install a TED on the circuits that go to that bungalow and charge them for their usage each month.

its a deterant, the design of the houses in general is laid out as to complicate division, the 2 units are joined by a door in the basement, the door cannot have any locking device etc.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by telco_mtl:

said by Draiman:

its a deterant, the design of the houses in general is laid out as to complicate division, the 2 units are joined by a door in the basement, the door cannot have any locking device etc.

In Canada they can dictate how you control a door in your own house? That's insane!
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

said by Draiman:

said by telco_mtl:

said by Draiman:

In Canada they can dictate how you control a door in your own house? That's insane!

municipal zoning rule since they are in areas zoned "bi generation"