All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kb0nly
join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN

kb0nly

[MN] High Latency, Packet Loss, Slow Speed, Disconnects, Help!

I upgraded my service from the 15 to 30mbps, i got a heck of a run around on the modem, field techs saying i only needed Docsis 2, service dept on phone saying i needed Docsis 3.. I got a hold of MediacomChad on here and he got me a DPC3825 shipped to my door, i swapped my RCA DCM425 with the new Cisco and everything went to crap.

My 15mbps service although slow was consistent, i always had internet unless a larger outage took me down. Now on the 30mbps i am fighting to keep a connection.

It will randomly just stop working, i will be browsing for example and i click on a link or go to another page and it can't load, or it will partially load and i have to hit refresh a half dozen times to get it working. Also i had to unplug my upstairs access point because the DPC3825 doesn't like to play well with others, plug anything other than one computer into it, or have more than one device connected to it by either wired or wireless and everything goes down. Right now to get on here i had to unplug everything, shut off all WiFi devices, and just plug in my desktop, its working, for now, but its quite slow.

Speed tests are showing 20's, with a random spike to 30 now and then, but the speed test plus on speakeasy.net shows my packet loss around 90-95% consistently. Also i cannot run the test at speedtest.net although i used to be be able, but since the modem swap its like it won't load. It shows selecting server and the little green dots on the map blink one by one then it sits there flashing the selected server on the map, the one with a circle and triangle on it, and it never goes further and completes the test. I am assuming due to my connection problems.

Latency is through the roof, tests this morning showed my pings in the 200-300ms range to all test servers. I had one that dropped down to 95ms but that was the best i have been able to achieve. It's been a horrible experience, i was supposed to be getting faster internet, instead i got slower and worse.

I was thinking about asking for a DPC3000 or DPC3008 at my local office, which isn't that local as it would be a 2.5 hour drive round trip to get there, but maybe a regular modem instead of a gateway would fix this problem. I had to pull my router and plug everything into the four port router built into this DPC3825 and networking is slower than molasses now as well. Sending a file to my laser printer takes four times longer then it used to. And forget file copying to my NAS, not even possible. My TP-Link gigabit router was ten times faster then this thing, although the DPC3825 is supposed to be gigabit ethernet and Wireless N, the WiFi side is slow as well, but then its hard to gauge that since the internet is so slow.. LOL

Any suggestions? What should i do here? I have my old modem in the box packed up ready to go back to Mediacom, i guess i could swap back and then cancel my 30mbps service and go back to 15mbps but i really needed the speed increase. The kids get on their Roku to watch Netflix and i try to do anything and its down to a crawl, but on the other hand at least it was reliable although slow... I don't even know any more.

I sent PM's to Chad last night, no reply yet, hoping he can come up with some solution to this problem. If the DSL provider here had the speed Mediacom does i would switch and pay extra for dry line.

2012-12-05 09:38:42 AM
Chicago, IL 32.67 Mbps 2.71 Mbps 62 % 290 ms

2012-12-05 7:40:19 AM
New York City, NY 29.96 Mbps 2.75 Mbps 95.6 % 550 ms

2012-12-05 7:39:29 AM
Chicago, IL 32.52 Mbps 2.79 Mbps 94.8 % 310 ms

Last three tests from SpeakEasy.net... Down speed ok, up speed ok, packet loss is huge and latency is high.
kb0nly

kb0nly

Re: [MN] High Latency, Packet Loss, Slow Speed, Disconnects, Hel

Running some more tests... Pinging a few sites.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\KB0NLY>ping dslreports.com

Pinging dslreports.com [209.123.109.175] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=520ms TTL=237
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=530ms TTL=237
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=530ms TTL=237
Reply from 209.123.109.175: bytes=32 time=480ms TTL=237

Ping statistics for 209.123.109.175:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 480ms, Maximum = 530ms, Average = 515ms

What the heck is going on...
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

You don't say how much your use is by wireless connection versus direct wired connection. That could make a huge difference, especially if the wireless gateway is not good or you have interference with neighbors.

My inclination would be to dump the gateway and go back to a separate modem and router if the router was working for you before.
kb0nly
Tyler, MN

kb0nly

Mostly wired, wireless on my laptop, only other wireless router in my area that i can see scanning with a high gain antenna and usb adapter on my laptop is a neighbor about a block away and they are channels away.

Thanks for the suggestion but read my first post. It took a week and begging to get what i have now. I can't get them to give me a regular modem. I would prefer a dpc3000 or dpc3008 and not have the stupid gateway to begin with and put my router back in place, a router thats only two months old by the way, but when i begged for a docsis 3 this is what they gave me.

I shipped back my old RCA DCM425 because after they switched on the new service to that modem, the field tech said the DCM425 was more than sufficient for the 30/50mbps service, yeah right, then that modem just literally puked on me one night. I rebooted it a few times and i could get it to work for various periods of time but it wouldn't keep working.

Right now i have a desk fan aimed at the side of the DPC3825 and its been holding up a bit better, it only drops out with heavy file transfers as it starts to get hotter than the fan can handle now, you can feel the heat coming off of it. The case was so hot before putting the fan on there it was uncomfortable to hold in your hand.

I think its a defective gateway.... I might just buy a new DPC3008 and end the rental nightmare.
k9iua6
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

I don't see why you needed to disconnect your old router. You should be able to plug your old router into the gateway and use that for your wired computers, letting the gateway function as your cable model - overkill, but it can be done that way. It adds a level, but no different than expanding from a second switch. You may have to put your router on a different lan (such as 192.168.2.1 or something appropriate to the brand of router) or turn NAT off on your router so everything still gets their addresses from the gateway and you are aren't running two levels of firewall, but it can be done. And if your old router is a wireless one, you would want it on a different channel from the gateway's wireless, but it can be done. If you go this route, you might want to turn the wireless off on the gateway (if it can be done - I not familiar with this gateway) so it uses less electricity and therefore generates less heat.

Or you just get MediacomChad to get you another modem, regardless of the wait. As it is, you should have Chad to check your connections to make sure it isn't something upstream of your gateway, or some issue with your gateway not bonding channels properly, etc.
kb0nly
Tyler, MN

kb0nly

As i mentioned in my first post.... Nothing would cohabitate with this DPC3825. If i connected my router to it no matter how i set it up, i tried everything you mentioned and more, nothing would have internet, disconnect my router and plug directly into the DPC3825 and i would have internet again. I even tried putting my main desktop to the DPC3825 and then connected either my router or upstairs WAP to one of the other ports, the second, and i mean literally the second the cable clicked into the back, poof no internet on the main desktop or the rest of the network.

It just wasn't possible, i spent about 6 hours last night trying to make it work.

Now today i can get online if i connect to the wireless in the DPC3825 or plugged into it wired. But it randomly drops out and no internet. I started google searching and i found some mention of people having trouble with them as they got hot. I checked mine, i about dropped it when i grabbed it, it was hot enough to make it uncomfortable to hold. It's standing up on the end feet, on a shelf, nothing on either side of it for a couple feet, its in the clear, plenty of air, but its HOT. So i took a small desk fan and set it next to the DPC3825 and cranked it on high, after about a half hour it was nearly cool to the touch but you could feel the warmth coming out of the other side. Now i am online and getting good speeds, and lower latency, the packet loss has improved too. So it appears they really are prone to heat related failure.

I had Chad check everything, he said all is good and couldn't figure out why i was getting the numbers i was.

So now its been force air cooled for a while and here is the latest test, oh did i mention the speedtest.net website wouldn't load before but now that its cooled off it will? I am not making this up, its the weirdest thing ever.

k9iua6
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6 to kb0nly

to kb0nly
It sure sounds like your gateway is defective.
kb0nly
Tyler, MN

kb0nly

Yep... Now to wait two weeks for a replacement or buy one i guess.

I sent a PM to Chad to see if he can get me a modem, DPC3000 or DPC3008 preferred. If not i will probably buy one from Newegg, free two day shipping and i have a preferred account with them so free rush order. With the holidays though money is tight, would be nice to just get a rental for a while til i can afford to pick one up.

I also considered the SB6121 as Radio Shack carries them, but the local store is sold out so no hope there. Checked Wal-Mart as they do carry the DPC3008, sold out there as well... I guess everyone is trying to upgrade.