--
♬ Music is life ♬

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
reply to Michail

I love how Microsoft even "metrofied" Windows Server. If ever there was a product that didn't need a touch enabled interface....

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08

Yep, they're "all in"......

Expand your moderator at work

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to RazzyUnix

Re: Sacrificing functionality for simplicity

said by RazzyUnix :

said by JohnInSJ:

If you want power, run *nix. Use the command line. Enjoy.

Apple's Mac OSX is Unix.

Yep. I use it all the time. Just like I use Linux. Heck, I even use Solaris now and then.

If you want power use the command line. In whatever OS you happen to enjoy. Heck, powershell can be nice and hairy if you want and that's even available in Windows RT.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Kramer

Click for full size
I think Metro is very childish looking...but UNcolorful? No way!

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
reply to Michail

I completely disagree with you on the Mac statement. Apple has been Dumbing down the computers, OS and whatever App they include or sell. And or dropping Apps that they feel the User no longer needs, Like iDVD.

As for MS they are now the Followers. Following Apple in giving the user Less options rather then more user options on how the computer can be changed to there liking.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to Mele20

Look at the mail app. Look at the messaging app. Look at the Skydrive app. 90% of every screen is blank white space with very little shading or color. Great on a 4-5 inch phone screen. Maybe great on a 10 inch tablet. On a 23 inch screen I want to put on sunglasses.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1

Now that I have a Lumia 920 I can definitely say the design concepts are fantastic on that form factor.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Kramer

I don't use any of those applications so I have no idea how they used to look or look today. I tried to open one but they want passwords. The password screens are very plain.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
reply to Michail

said by Michail:

Now that I have a Lumia 920 I can definitely say the design concepts are fantastic on that form factor.

I got to play with a Asus RT tablet the other day and was quite impressed. What didn't impress me was the fact that the owner thought she had paid for something that would run all Windows software, when in fact it wouldn't. Microsoft has created a lot of confusion in name of unifying an interface among dissimilar platforms.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

said by Kramer:

thought she had paid for something that would run all Windows software

Eventually, she'll be right when Store Apps are all apps. But indeed it is surprising that microsoft doesn't make it clear that RT means not the same as your other windows computer.
--

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON

1 recommendation

reply to Kramer

With icons the pictogram is the reference, not the color, especially if it's high contrast as it is in Windows 8. The look is consistent.

As for the Jekyll and Hyde interface, that is a necessary evil for now. Windows 8 is a transition release on the way to elimination of the desktop as it exists now. That can't be done cold turkey. Launching all apps from the modern UI is necessary for a single UI across all platforms, which is in turn necessary due to popularity of smartphones, tablets and gaming consoles; that last platform has effectively eliminated the desktop from the market.

Convergence and mobile/convertible are the future. There will still be a place for desktops, but that platform is no longer a growth market segment.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 recommendation

There's still plenty of people who prefer an actual desktop interface to do serious work in. Having tablets flip into a small screen with a dinky laptop like keyboard doesn't suffice for power users who still need real work done that touchscreens aren't and most likely will never suffice. Besides it's less ergonomic to use touch screen replace the mouse much less in the long run using a on screen keyboard vs a real one (not those that feel like you can break them in half). One would argue that PC gaming is and has gotten stronger in the past 5 years vs game consoles eliminating desktops as you suggest.

Having everything go to a baby like mobile os setup like Windows 8 is such a wide assumption that everything should be like that regardless of desktops/laptops. Besides not everyone wants to be connected all the time. I sure as heck don't want to be doing and called in work wise any time of the day because of this 'convergence' as you call it.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Kramer

said by Kramer:

Look at the mail app. Look at the messaging app. Look at the Skydrive app. 90% of every screen is blank white space with very little shading or color. Great on a 4-5 inch phone screen. Maybe great on a 10 inch tablet. On a 23 inch screen I want to put on sunglasses.

Just use the desktop applications! Kidding! But I know what you mean, it needs more options...

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Kramer

said by Kramer:

said by Michail:

I got to play with a Asus RT tablet the other day and was quite impressed. What didn't impress me was the fact that the owner thought she had paid for something that would run all Windows software, when in fact it wouldn't. Microsoft has created a lot of confusion in name of unifying an interface among dissimilar platforms.

»www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss···58447300

Should've gotten one of these. It was going for $399 on Black Friday. I almost wanted to pick it up but I decided against it as it's still new and I'd rather have the more expensive versions.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to digitalfutur

I have zero interest in accessing the internet while I am shopping, at my bank, visiting a friend over lunch, etc. If others wish to be extremely rude and access internet in doctor's office's (when the signs clearly state no cell phone use), or when supposedly spending time with me, or in their car violating the law and causing accidents, ok....let them if they are so foolish as to insist a tiny cell phone screen, or a slow tablet, is a better experience than a powerful desktop.

Plus, why would I wish to BEG for serious physical injuries by having a touch screen desktop monitor?

I don't believe for one minute that the desktop is dead. That is absurd. You seem to be claiming that everyone will use Word, Photoshop, etc on a cell phone or a tablet.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08

1 recommendation

said by Mele20:

I don't believe for one minute that the desktop is dead. That is absurd. You seem to be claiming that everyone will use Word, Photoshop, etc on a cell phone or a tablet.

You are exactly right... the desktop, for serious work, is nowhere near dead, and never will be, no matter how much they try to imply or insist that it is or will be...

I'd love to see someone work all day with Photoshop or any other serious app on anything but a desktop.....

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

said by Kerodo:

I'd love to see someone work all day with Photoshop or any other serious app on anything but a desktop.....

I've used Gimp for 6 hours on a netbook. Yeah, it was a long flight.
--

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to BillRoland

said by BillRoland:

I love how Microsoft even "metrofied" Windows Server. If ever there was a product that didn't need a touch enabled interface....

Maybe those system admin do =) They could check out the status of server with a couple touches on the screen. They can still use mouse of course.

Servers are servers though. Doesn't matter what interface it has as long you can do whatever you want.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Michail

said by Michail:

While I am a firm believer in design simplicity I don't think MS is keeping functionality and "power uses" in mind.

Having spent a week evaluating security issues with Windows Server 2012 and Exchange 2013, I wholeheartedly agree with this.

They basically took their manageable interfaces and moved them to cumbersome interfaces, hid some of the 'old' interfaces, and suggested people either learn Microsoft's scripting language or use their crappy new interfaces.

(Also hot spots in a remote desktop session accessing a server is a) annoying b) stupid.)

Now would be a great time for Apple to seriously pursue the enterprise and give users what users want, rather than what Microsoft insists users must use.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

said by urbanriot:

Now would be a great time for Apple to seriously pursue the enterprise and give users what users want, rather than what Microsoft insists users must use.

It looks like m$ has forgotten its own old motto - "Where do you want to go today?"... These days the company doesn't give a damn where users want to go today and rather pushes them to what they think is more profitable for the company .
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

freebird317
Premium
join:2004-02-23
Vancouver, WA

1 edit
reply to Michail

said by Michail:

I don't think MS is keeping functionality and "power uses" in mind.

I agree
said by Michail:

This is an area where I think apple is doing a little better.

What??? Really???
--
Lead, Follow I do not care just get out of my way.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

said by freebird317:

said by Michail:

I don't think MS is keeping functionality and "power uses" in mind.

I agree
said by Michail:

This is an area where I think apple is doing a little better.

What??? Really???

Sure, it's apple. Even their crap is awesome!

It's an evolution - I easily remember the "dumbing down" that was WMP (or wimp, as well called it) - after all the real power is in the command line. Or, the dumbing down that was 4g languages. Or 3g languages, after all the real power is in assembly language.

So, yeah, dumb it down.

--