Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to BillRoland

Re: Sacrificing functionality for simplicity

said by BillRoland:

I love how Microsoft even "metrofied" Windows Server. If ever there was a product that didn't need a touch enabled interface....

Maybe those system admin do =) They could check out the status of server with a couple touches on the screen. They can still use mouse of course.

Servers are servers though. Doesn't matter what interface it has as long you can do whatever you want.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Michail

said by Michail:

While I am a firm believer in design simplicity I don't think MS is keeping functionality and "power uses" in mind.

Having spent a week evaluating security issues with Windows Server 2012 and Exchange 2013, I wholeheartedly agree with this.

They basically took their manageable interfaces and moved them to cumbersome interfaces, hid some of the 'old' interfaces, and suggested people either learn Microsoft's scripting language or use their crappy new interfaces.

(Also hot spots in a remote desktop session accessing a server is a) annoying b) stupid.)

Now would be a great time for Apple to seriously pursue the enterprise and give users what users want, rather than what Microsoft insists users must use.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

said by urbanriot:

Now would be a great time for Apple to seriously pursue the enterprise and give users what users want, rather than what Microsoft insists users must use.

It looks like m$ has forgotten its own old motto - "Where do you want to go today?"... These days the company doesn't give a damn where users want to go today and rather pushes them to what they think is more profitable for the company .
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

freebird317
Premium
join:2004-02-23
Vancouver, WA

1 edit
reply to Michail

said by Michail:

I don't think MS is keeping functionality and "power uses" in mind.

I agree
said by Michail:

This is an area where I think apple is doing a little better.

What??? Really???
--
Lead, Follow I do not care just get out of my way.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA

said by freebird317:

said by Michail:

I don't think MS is keeping functionality and "power uses" in mind.

I agree
said by Michail:

This is an area where I think apple is doing a little better.

What??? Really???

Sure, it's apple. Even their crap is awesome!

It's an evolution - I easily remember the "dumbing down" that was WMP (or wimp, as well called it) - after all the real power is in the command line. Or, the dumbing down that was 4g languages. Or 3g languages, after all the real power is in assembly language.

So, yeah, dumb it down.

--
My place : »www.schettino.us