uniqs

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Russ6

MVM

to Russ6

Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

Latest info on OSG 2.0 posted on the Comcast Help and Support Forum (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 9#M60586 ) by Comcast's Ted Hodgins (aka "ComcastTeds"):
From ComcastTeds
12-04-2012 9:50 PM

The following Comcast areas that use Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes have On-Screen Guide 2.0 available: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana and Minnesota.
New Mexico and Texas are scheduled for early 2013.

A subscription to AnyRoom DVR is required. We would need to professionally install new cable boxes. On-Screen Guide 2.0 includes DVR Manager, Caller ID to the TV and many other new features. More info here: »www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

We don't plan on offering On-Screen Guide 2.0 in any additional areas than what I have already listed above.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 is a way to introduce significant improvements and new features (including AnyRoom DVR) to our customers in many areas of our Cisco footprint (delivering to multiple markets in several states now instead of waiting another full year). Our Cisco areas historically have lagged behind our Motorola areas when it comes to new video products and features.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 is a short term bridge as we work to get our On-Screen Guide 3.0 (the X1 Experience) into more areas this year and into 2013.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 »www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

On-Screen Guide 3.0 »xfinity.comcast.net/x1/

The long term plan is to get all of our newest cable boxes (regardless of hardware manufacturer or geography) onto a common more advanced on-screen guide starting in 2013 to provide a more consistent experience.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Some updates/details on the S26 guide deployments for Texas and New Mexico in Ted Hodgins's "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog entry yesterday (»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-67777 ):
SCHEDULE UPDATE

NEW MEXICO: As you might have seen in earlier posts from me this evening, we have started to deploy the new guide features in New Mexico. That will continue this week.

TEXAS: Houston and Galveston customers are scheduled to get the new on-screen guide features starting next week. The process will be over a few days.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

The following post is from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog and is a summary of the S26 Guide update and the underlined section is about the X1 Guide.
quote:
@Bob, thanks for your comments and questions. The Comcast areas in northern Virginia where we use Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes are targeted to receive this guide update during the first three months of 2013. As we get closer to the date for each area I will be able to post that information right here.

Some of the new features that are included in this release are listed below:

DVR Manager: From the internet and the Xfinity TV app, customers can: set recordings, view/modify scheduled recordings, view completed recordings, modify series priority lists, etc.
»xfinity.comcast.net/mydv ··· /how-to/

Caller ID to the TV See who's calling, right from your TV and PC! Comcast Universal Caller ID takes the guesswork out of incoming calls. »www.comcast.net/callerid

Xfinity TV Application: The ability to use your iPad to change channels.
»www.xfinity.com/help/int ··· -tv-app/

HSN Shop-by-Remote: A convenient, new way to make HSN purchases simply by using your remote. »www.comcast.net/newguide ··· 0110.pdf

Request for Info: Know more, save more! Introducing an easy way to request valuable coupons and info from advertisers simply by using your remote.
»www.comcast.net/newguide ··· tion.pdf

Ready Remind and Ready Record: Now you can conveniently set program reminders or recordings directly from certain TV show and movie advertisements.
»www.comcast.net/newguide ··· cord.pdf

Once I get an updated and confirmed schedule for the next areas I will be able to post that information on the site. The above features are already in customer homes in parts of GA, LA, CT, TX, MN and NM. We expect to complete our deployments by Spring 2013. Thanks for your contiinued patience.

On-Screen Guide 3.0 (the X1 Experience) is rolling out to many new Comcast areas in 2013.

Our expectation is be able to deliver this new experience onto several of our newest cable boxes that are already in homes, including the Cisco RNG 200. That is expected in mid to late 2013.

Regarding AnyRoom DVR in your area: Our goal is to be able to use the cloud for DVR recordings. We have trials underway in the Boston area now. The X1 Experience is expected to have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home external hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

Thanks again for your patience as we work to improve the experience.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Bob Jurgensen | December 4, 2012 8:29 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-67770

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Russ6 See Profile, et al:

FYI - It looks like Ted Hodgins (aka "ComcastTeds") has moved his Q&As for the "New Guides for SA/Cisco Cable Boxes" Comcast Voices blog item to a new stickied thread on the Comcast Help and Support Forum:

New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes
12-11-2012 2:45 PM

Just making the "move" from the Comcast Voices site to the Comcast Help & Services Support site where we can have some better interaction and provide updates as needed.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

Thanks for the update, telcodad.

My SA Explorer 8300 HD DVR was updated with the S26 Guide very early this morning, but my Cisco RNG 200N DVRs weren't updated yet.

brhalltx
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

brhalltx

Premium Member

My SA8300HDs were updated (Sunday night?). One was locked up last night and had to be rebooted. It also showed more space used on the DVR than it should have; I had to delete a bunch of recordings.
The other hasn't locked up yet, but the guide is in 4:3, and when I tried to pause live TV, the pause bar came up showing it was paused, but the show kept playing. After some fiddling, it finally paused.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by brhalltx:

My SA8300HDs were updated (Sunday night?). One was locked up last night and had to be rebooted. It also showed more space used on the DVR than it should have; I had to delete a bunch of recordings.
The other hasn't locked up yet, but the guide is in 4:3, and when I tried to pause live TV, the pause bar came up showing it was paused, but the show kept playing. After some fiddling, it finally paused.

If you are having problems, you can try rebooting the DVR. That corrects many problems.

brhalltx
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

brhalltx

Premium Member

said by Russ6 See Profile
If you are having problems, you can try rebooting the DVR. That corrects many problems.
[/BQUOTE :

I've done that many times; I haven't been able to reboot the second one yet, since it's recording.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Russ6

MVM

to Russ6
Latest status of the S26 update deployment on Ted Hodgins' (aka "ComcastTeds") "New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes" stickied thread on the Comcast Help and Support Forum:

12-13-2012 5:37 PM
:
I outlined a few of the issues regarding the delays in the above posts and in the Comcast Voices blog. Apologies again that we haven't been able to get this out to more areas sooner. Schedules are always subject to change but I am very confident in the current timelines.

The difference is now that we have 25% of the areas deployed with excellent results in several states, Apologies that PA is not yet one of deployed locations yet.

We will get the new features and fixes out in Scranton soon and I would like to give you a call and invite you to lunch when the features are deployed there - that is scheduled to be before the end of March 2013, but I realize that you may not believe that.

Thanks again for your continued patience and all of your feedback.
telcodad

telcodad to Russ6

MVM

to Russ6
said by Russ6:

Thanks for the update, telcodad.

My SA Explorer 8300 HD DVR was updated with the S26 Guide very early this morning, but my Cisco RNG 200N DVRs weren't updated yet.

FYI - It looks like the next guide update you will now be getting in Houston is OSG 3.0 (X1) by the middle of this year, according to a post today (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 3#M63114) on the Comcast Help and Support Forum by Comcast's Ted Hodgins (aka "ComcastTeds"):
From ComcastTeds
1-03-2013 3:29 PM

Just to update for the Houston area, the decision was recently made to bypass On-Screen Guide 2.0 in this area and move to directly deliver the X1 Experience (which is the end goal all along).

This should happen by mid-year.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

And it looks like my area of NJ will be getting the S26 update in mid-February:

From ComcastTeds
1-03-2013 4:02 PM

... The Cherry Hill area is currently scheduled for later this month. The Monmouth County and Ocean County areas are currently scheduled for mid-February.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

The following post is from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes" blog. Telcodad posted the link in another thread.
quote:
01-09-2013 03:12 PM

MikeWolf wrote:

Why is New Jersey never on the forefront of testing out new technologies and software and guides? It always seems like we're the last to get anything. It's always areas like New England or Philly or states in the Southwest for examples. I can't remember I time that New Jersey ever got anything before the rest of the country, and when I say "New Jersey" I don't mean the suburbs right outside Philly, I'm talking about areas such as down at the Jersey Shore in the Ocean County/Toms River area zip codes 08722, 08753, 08754, 08755, 08756, and 08757.

I'm hearing rumors from various Comcast employees such as line technicians, service technicians, X1 engineers, even payment center staff that Comcast plans to phase out Cisco and SA headend equipment and set top boxes in favor of Motorola equipment, which makes sense since the X1 equipment is generic and will work on both systems showing up as legacy SA set tops and new Motorola set tops.

Then there is the question of when or if the X1 interface is ever going to be brought to the Cisco RNG200N DVR set tops as I'm hearing rumors that the Guide 2.0 might be coming to the Cisco RNG200N DVR but also rumors that it will not and just the S26 update and no further development will occur. Just wh at is included in the S26 update as your post doesn't specifically say if it's the S26 update or not.

When will external eSATA DVR expanders larger then 1TB be supported? »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· storage/

I'm also confused that if Guide 2.0 comes to the Cisco RNG200N DVR that it may or may not require the XR2 remote. I went to the XR2 remote website and the link to "supported devices" such as evidenced in questions 10 and 13 »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· te/#FAQs is completely useless and just links back to the page you came from »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· _Devices

Another question is the availability of AnyPlay. What Cisco/SA set top boxes will be supported? The X1 set tops? The Cisco RNG200N DVR set tops? Neither?

Do you know when or if Comcast is ever going to complete the national channel lineup so regardless of which Comcast serving area someone goes to the channels (excluding local channels) will all be in the same lineup?
quote:
Hello MikeWolf.

Thanks for your questions.

As a company, we have several markets that we have identified as being our trial markets. Those areas are staffed accordingly and have the additional necessary equipment and additional manpower to assist with trialing of our new products. Some areas are first, some areas are last. Every area thinks they are the last to get new products. Our Motorola areas of New Jersey were one of the first to get AnyRoom DVR as well as the most recent version of the guide software. Believe me, it’s nothing personal against NJ. I love NJ and Toms River. Our SA-Cisco customers have always had the option to connect an external DVR via the e-SATA port; we are just getting that feature activated for our Motorola devices .

The sequence of product deployments hinges on many factors; some of those include other higher priority customer and business impacting projects, contractual issues, legal issues, weather, staffing, prerequsite upstream projects, any moratoriums around holidays and big events where we don’t want to impact our customers and the business.

I am not aware of any immediate plans to phase out any Cisco-SA headend equipment and set top boxes. That sort of project would require substantial capital dollars as well as customer and business disruption and take some significant time.

The X1 Experience will be able to run just fine on a Cisco RNG 200 DVR once we get to the point where we can deliver that product to existing boxes already in the home.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 was a short-term bridge for us to deliver AnyRoom DVR and an improved experience to some limited Cisco markets while the X1 Experience was getting ready for wide deployment. Many features, functionality and customer feedback from On-Screen Guide 2.0 were fine- tuned and included in the X1 Experience.

We don’t have any additional areas where we will be moving ahead with On-Screen Guide 2.0.That guide will continue to be supported in the areas where it is deployed until we deliver those areas the X1 Experience.

The X1 Experience is the eventual goal for all of our high-end cable boxes regardless of geography or existing plant infrastructure. We do have the X1 Guide running in customer homes in SA-Cisco areas of New Hampshire and with employees in SA-Cisco areas in New Jersey.

We may explore plans to support eSATA DVR expanders larger than 1 TB. That would require a firmware update to support. Our goal this year is to be able to use the cloud for DVR recordings. The X1 Experience is expected to have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home external hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

The XR2 remote is included with all of our On-Screen Guide 2.0 and X1 Experience installations. On-Screen Guide 2.0 is not scheduled for NJ. The XR2 remote control will also be the default remote control for the HD-DTA device. I’ll look into getting the circular link corrected that you referenced.

AnyPlay is working quite well today with customers on both SA/Cisco and Motorola plants. AnyPlay is not tied to a specific box type or plant infrastructure. AnyPlay is not currently available in NJ and a lot of northeast locations at this time I don’t have any new information to share on the availability in your area at this time.

You should start to see additional areas gradually move towards a national channel lineup implementation for channels above 100 during this year.

Thanks again for your patience and feedback as we work to improve the experience.

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 7#M63740
Russ6

1 edit

Russ6

Posted in Wrong Thread.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

From ComcastTeds

... The Cherry Hill area is currently scheduled for later this month. The Monmouth County and Ocean County areas are currently scheduled for mid-February.

FYI - The S26 update for the Cherry Hill area has now been postponed by a week:

From ComcastTeds
1-28-2013 2:23 PM

The Cherry Hill area was moved out a week to accommodate other projects and locations.

That area of southern NJ is currently scheduled to receive this guide software and firmware update (including third party cable cards) and new features the week of February 4th. Thanks for your patience.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Thanks for keeping us informed.

mountlaurel
@comcast.net

mountlaurel to telcodad

Anon

to telcodad
"Mike Wolf" Try to get an update for what night this week Comcast of Garden State, NJ will receive the "Cable Card" update.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

I asked and here is the response. »forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 7#M66568

The guide software and cablecard FW updates for the Cherry Hill area were moved again to accommodate other projects and customer-related business needs. The updates are no longer scheduled for this week in southern NJ.

All of our areas in NJ (with Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes) are still currently expected to receive these updates this month. Apologies for the change in schedule.

Once the dates for NJ are re-confirmed and as we get closer to those dates, I will be able to post that information here. Thanks for your continued patience.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

From ComcastTeds

FYI - The S26 update for the Cherry Hill area has now been postponed by a week:

From ComcastTeds
1-28-2013 2:23 PM

The Cherry Hill area was moved out a week to accommodate other projects and locations.

That area of southern NJ is currently scheduled to receive this guide software and firmware update (including third party cable cards) and new features the week of February 4th. Thanks for your patience.

The S26 update for the Cherry Hill area has been postponed again:

From ComcastTeds
2-4-2013 3:26 PM

The guide software and cablecard FW updates for the Cherry Hill area were moved again to accommodate other projects and customer-related business needs. The updates are no longer scheduled for this week in southern NJ.

All of our areas in NJ (with Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes) are still currently expected to receive these updates this month. Apologies for the change in schedule.

Once the dates for NJ are re-confirmed and as we get closer to those dates, I will be able to post that information here. Thanks for your continued patience.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Update on S26 rollout
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 1#M66603

SCHEDULE UPDATE:

Customers in additional areas of PA listed below are currently scheduled to get the on-screen guide updates and new features this week::

PENNSYLVANIA: Abington Township, Alexandria, Archbald, Avoca, Benton Township, Berrysburg, Blakely, Brady Township, Broad Top Township, Carbon Township, Catherine Township, Clarks Green, Clarks Summit, Clinton Township, Coaldale, Coalmont, Covington Township, Dallas, Dallas Township, Dalton, Dudley, Dunmore, Dupont, Duryea, Edwardsville, Elizabethville, Elmhurst Township, Exeter, Exeter Township, Factoryville, Forty Fort, Franklin Township, Glenburn Township, Gratz, Harveys Lake, Higgins Township, Henderson Township, Hopewell, Hopewell Township, Hubbley Township, Hughestown, Huntingdon, Jefferson Township, Jenkins Township, Jessup, Juniata Township, Kingston Township, Kistler, Laflin, LaPlume Township, Lehman Township, Liberty Township, Lincoln Township, Logan Township, Luzerne, Lykens, Lykens Township, Madison Township, Marklesburg, Mifflin Township, Mill Creek, Mill Hall, Moosic, Morris Township, Moscow, Mt. Union. Nanticoke, Newtown Hamilton, Newton Township, Nicholson, North Abington Township, Northmoreland Township, Old Forge, Olyphant, Oneida Township, Penn Township, Petersburg, Pillow, Pittston, Pittstown Township, Plains Township, Plymouth, Porter Township, Ransom Township, Roaring Brook Township, Rush Township, Saxton, Scott Township, Scranton, Shirley Township, Shirlesyburg, Smithfield Township, South Abington Township, Spring Brook Township, Swoyersville, Taylor, Throop, Tower City, Union Township, Upper Mahontongo Township, Upper Paxton Township, Walker Township, Washington Township, Wayne Township, Wells Township, West Pittston, West Wyoming, Wicionisco Township, Williams Township, Williamsburg, Williamsport, Williamstown, Woodbury Township, Wyoming, Yatesville.

Details on the new features available are detailed in the initial post in this thread. Additional information can be found at »www.xfinity.com/meetyourguide

Additional locations will be announced as they are confirmed. All locations are expected to be completed by the end of March 2013. Thanks for your patience.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Latest update on the S26 deployment on Ted Hodgins' (aka "ComcastTeds") "New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes" stickied thread on the Comcast Help and Support Forum:

2-18-2013 3:41 PM

SCHEDULE UPDATE:

Customers in Alexandria and Arlington, Virginia are currently scheduled to get the on-screen guide updates and new features this week.

Details on the new features available are detailed in the initial post in this thread. Additional information can be found at »www.xfinity.com/meetyourguide

Additional locations will be announced as they are confirmed. All locations are expected to be completed in early 2013. Thanks for your patience.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

From ComcastTeds

... The Monmouth County and Ocean County areas are currently scheduled for mid-February.

The latest update now for the Monmouth and Ocean County NJ areas:

From ComcastTeds
2-25-2013 11:39 AM

... Monmouth County and Ocean County are currently scheduled for early March pending final internal approvals. Once we get closer to that date I will be sure and confirm that information here. Thanks for your patience.

SeanBecker
@comcast.net

SeanBecker

Anon

It's always changing and quite frankly, being IN Ocean County, we're getting fed up with the incompetence of the decision makers. We were supposed to get the update before the snowstorm hit and we got delayed again. Then instead of them making it up to us by doing us immediately, they went off to do other states instead. Comcast couldn't find their head if it was glued to their hand.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I do have to agree that I'm starting to get a bit tired of the wait myself.
I heard from a tech that was visiting last Monday that his boss said March 6th. Ted hasn't responded.

SeanWhite
@comcast.net

SeanWhite

Anon

Lack of progress with SA/Cisco Cable Boxes updated

This is a collaborated open letter I was sent from a few people who wished to express some troubles they are having. These are their words, not mine:

We're just confused at this point because we assumed our area was scheduled to get the update the week a few days before the snowstorm hit and that when the restoration effort in New England was over that that schedule would pick up where it was left off but instead most of Pennsylvania was done, and then most recently Alexandria and Arlington, Virginia was done. We noticed we were told that Southern Jersey would be done by the end of February and then some magical decision without consideration to us real customers was made to accommodate "other projects" and "customer-related business needs" to push us again to a generic time by the end of March just like everyone else, an empty party line. We're sure another excuse will be made and we'll all be pushed to June. We bet the decision makers already have their update regardless of their location so they are in no big hurry and are dragging their feet. We know it's not Teds fault for the lack of information, he's being very nice in giving us updates, it's just very frustrating when the information we do get is either unrelated to our specific location or the same "end of March 2013" statement. It's as if Comcast simply has no concept of time management and scheduling and can't plan a day in advance. Hypothetically, Us questioning this would give us the response of "things come up" and our response would be "not our problem, we're paying for a service, figure it out without negatively affecting us. Hire more engineers and techs, you got the money we pay you".

It just feels like we're being strung along like sheep. We're always thanked for our patience but at some point very very soon our patience is going to run out and then what? Not like we're going to get reimbursed for making us wait longer because of decisions made that affect us without consideration. The entire point of this thread is to keep us customers up to date in what is going on with Comcast and yet we get ever so slightly more then the generic response we'd get if we called the 1800 number and get a call center overseas. Again we know this isn't Ted's fault and no one here is blaming him in the least.

Ok there we go. Those are not my words, I'm just passing them along as requested.
mariod
join:2009-06-16

1 recommendation

mariod

That's a pretty immature "letter" that people should be embarrassed to be associated with.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I disagree I think there are some valid points.
mariod
join:2009-06-16

mariod

"us real customers"

"We bet the decision makers already have their update regardless of their location so they are in no big hurry and are dragging their feet."

"not our problem, we're paying for a service, figure it out without negatively affecting us. Hire more engineers and techs, you got the money we pay you".

If I worked for Comcast, and received something this bratty, I'd push whatever they are complaining about back another two months. Its embarrassing that someone would even take the amount of time to write something like that out to complain about a SOFTWARE UPDATE to a set top box. Grow up.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I could certainly understand the frustration these individuals feel.

mountlaurel
@army.mil

mountlaurel

Anon

"Mike Wolf" Do you know if the "Channels Not Available" message that I am receiveing on my TIVO Premiere is a "Cable Card" problem??? Never had a problem until after Christmas. Is it because my Cisco area went to the I-Guide (A25)? Thanks

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

updated stuff

which channels in particular. You mean like this »tinypic.com/view.php?pic ··· pqb9&s=6 ?
or
»support.tivo.com/euf/ass ··· able.jpg
or do you mean »i68.photobucket.com/albu ··· s012.jpg

Cisco areas are using the S25 software guide and moving to the S26 software guide. This change wouldn't affect the TiVo since it runs on the cableboxes. There is supposed to be a firmware update to the Cisco/SA cablecards to correct a "not authorized" message that randomly appears on both the cablecard equipped cableboxes, and any customer owned device that uses a cablecard such as TiVo and Moxi and home theater computers. Unfortunately I don't have any information about what firmware version was pushed to the cards but once I know that information I can look into it with Cisco's support and look into the release notes to see if there are any known issues. You can find the card information if you go to Settings & Messages -> Settings -> Remote, CableCARD, & Devices -> CableCARD Decoder -> CableCARD Options -> CableCARD Menu -> CableCARD Diag Screen

then look for
H/W Model:
Bldr Ver:
OS Ver:
Build Time: