Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA

Re: Fubar stuff.

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by sk1939:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Unnecessary expense, problems and liability for the homeowne. Of course I guess the local electricians don't care for it.

Most places say that the utilities responsibility ends at the weather-head.

Most places? or just where you are? It would be interesting to see a list of POCO's and states requirements. From what I've seen so far it's the North East that the utilities stick the customer with that expense and liability.

Electricity is no different then cable or phone that deliver their product "to the customers house" and provide the interface for the customer to connect to.

Phones here end at the demarc as well, which is generally that box on the outside of your house which is standard.

Most places, because I know this is the case in San Fran, a few parts of Illinois, quite a bit of the DC area, PA, NY, and NJ. Mostly places that have power from an actual company like PP&L, ComEd, ConEd, Pepco, BG&E, rather than a local util.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

3 edits

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

NM

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by sk1939:

Phones here end at the demarc as well, which is generally that box on the outside of your house which is standard.

Most places, because I know this is the case in San Fran, a few parts of Illinois, quite a bit of the DC area, PA, NY, and NJ. Mostly places that have power from an actual company like PP&L, ComEd, ConEd, Pepco, BG&E, rather than a local util.

That doesn't indicate a "vast majority". Why do some of you go into a "tizzy" because our utility Dominion Resources here in Virginia doesn't gouge us? Jealously? Every time this issue comes up it's the same thing. Apparently you folks want to pay for all this is the only thing I can figure.

Are you trying to tell me that Dominion Virginia Power is nothing more than a local utility company?

If so then ComeEd, Pepco, BG&E are also only players in the parts of states they serve.

Commonwealth Edison (commonly known as ComEd) is the largest electric utility in Illinois, serving the Chicago and Northern Illinois area. The service territory roughly borders in Iroquois County to the south, the Wisconsin border to the north, the Iowa border to the west, and the Indiana border to the east.

For more than 100 years, Commonwealth Edison has been the primary electric delivery services company for Northern Illinois. ComEd provides electric service to more than 3.7 million customers across Northern Illinois.

Now I would classify ComEd a local regional utility with only 3 million customers.

Dominion Resources (D) is an electric and natural gas utility. Dominion Resources has approximately 26,500 megawatts (MW) of electrical generating capacity, enough to power around 20 million homes.

As the owner of the nation's largest underground natural gas storage system, Dominion also delivers natural gas to retail customers in eleven states.

»www.wikinvest.com/stock/ ··· _%28D%29

You probably get your natural gas from Dominion Resources.

Simply because you act surprised when you find out it's not the norm for a lot of the rest of the country. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just the way it is and not the norm.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Simply because you act surprised when you find out it's not the norm for a lot of the rest of the country. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just the way it is and not the norm.

Why would I be even mildly surprised by your unsubstantiated statements? You have offered no proof what so ever other than your "opinion".

I'm not saying your having to pay is bad given the responses by some indicating they are more than happy and willing to pay these costs. I would have thought the electricians would be the ones benefiting from the customer having to pay for it.

That's just the way it is.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

Every article and book I've read have stated that the utility is not responsible past the splice point for overhead lines. Having had real estate in all the places I've mentioned, I am familiar with what the utilities have said they will cover for upgrades, storm damage, etc.

Must be nice to live down by Newport News there, since NOVA is Pepco territory still.
Expand your moderator at work