how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

khockin

join:2012-12-05
L7K 4M2

Is outbound port 25 blocked/filtered

Can anyone verify if AT&T Southeast filters outbound port 25?

Specifically I am wondering if you can reach the following 2 IP's on port 25

216.55.149.53 Port 25
198.171.239.253 Port 25

I need to verify this for all AT&T regions

Thanks

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by khockin:

216.55.149.53 Port 25
198.171.239.253 Port 25

Thanks

AT&T in the SE region (legacy BellSouth area) filters outbound port 25 access to only mail.bellsouth.net for residential customers. All other inbound and outbound port 25 traffic is blocked for residential customers.

Business class customers are not supposed to have a port 25 block, but I have seen many small business customers who also have the same blocking as residential users. If you are a business class customer (which I assume is so based on the rDNS returns for the IP addresses you posted), and you ore experiencing port 25 blocking, contact your AT&T sales person to get the port 25 block removed from your account.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to khockin

said by khockin:

216.55.149.53 Port 25
198.171.239.253 Port 25

Toward the end of 2002 SBC implemented port 25 blocking across their entire 13-state footprint (West, Southwest, Midwest, and Northeast). It was outbound only, and they provided a web site for unblock requests.

At the end of 2005 the SBC purchase of AT&T went into effect. The corporation was re-branded as AT&T. With the assimilation of AT&T Worldnet, port 25 blocking became more difficult to lift.

In 2006 AT&T acquired Bellsouth, which had long blocked port 25, both outbound and inbound, in their 9-state footprint. As all acquired regions were assimilated, the legacy Bellsouth pattern of blocking port 25 bidirectionally became the new standard.

AT&T now blocks port 25 both ways across their entire 22-state footprint (all regions); though up until I canceled service (April, 2011), legacy customers who had requested unblocking (I was one) apparently still had port 25 access. Because of those legacy unblock requests, responses to your query will vary; but if your client is blocked, that is the current default for new AT&T accounts.

I have heard that unblock requests can still be made through AT&T Direct, but I would strongly recommend exploring alternatives.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

Your port 25 summary is true except that it only applies to residential accounts. Business class accounts are not supposed to have port 25 blocking. The OP appears to be a business class customer since both of the IP addresses point to webmail.attbizclassemail.com (which I would assume from the hostname implies an email site for business class customers).

FWIW, I can get outbound port 25 connectivity to the OP's first IP address (216.55.149.53) from the two AT&T business class connections to which I just established a VPN tunnel (as well as from my normal Comcast Busineess Class connection).

OTOH, the OP's second IP address (198.171.239.253) does not respond to port 25 requests at all It does respond to port 110, which tells me that it is probably a POP3 server only, and does not have SMTP capabilities.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

chong67

join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA
reply to khockin

If you run a email server, then tell it to use Bellsouth POP server for outgoing mail. Its run by Yahoo now.

For incoming email, use port forwarding to another port. Just configure it on your email server. You have to pay for this service.

This is how you get around it.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

Aside from the fact that one would not use a POP server for outgoing email, NetFixer See Profile has identified (and the OP verified) that the OP has a business account. Port 25 should not be blocked for business accounts.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum