Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5
reply to eweazel

Re: How to connect two offices together

What speeds do you have at each office? If you have slow upload in Ottawa trying to view the camera's remotely will not go very well.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

Good point.
A 25/7 DSL connection at each location would be a good starting point for 60 people.

cooldude9919

said by MaynardKrebs:

Good point.
A 25/7 DSL connection at each location would be a good starting point for 60 people.

Should be yes if he can get those speeds (distance issue?), depends on how much file transfers they will have between the offices. Doesnt sound like he will have 500gb of replication or anything so they probably dont have a need for fiber/ethernet services yet.

If you are doing your own vpn route, i would try to have the same provider at each location, so your routing and latency should be very good.

eweazel

join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by cooldude9919:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Good point.

Should be yes if he can get those speeds (distance issue?), depends on how much file transfers they will have between the offices. Doesnt sound like he will have 500gb of replication or anything so they probably dont have a need for fiber/ethernet services yet.

If you are doing your own vpn route, i would try to have the same provider at each location, so your routing and latency should be very good.

At the moment we have Teksavvy which I finally was allowed to upgrade after 3 years of bitching and we are now at 16/1. I will upgrade the ottawa store to the same.

We dont do anything close to 500gb, this is just more purely files (excel/word) that I want to have in a server in Toronto, rather then them having access only on their computers which again to me is a waste of resources and security, especially as in the past year I have seen money being wasted on data recovery for each computer because no one backs up, when these old computers crash.

I could be going about this the wrong way, if there is an easier way I am also open to it. This is me just scratching my head and how this place has been operated and thinkign there has to be a better way.

eweazel

join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON

Even our online store is horrendous, it was first setup in 2003, and nothing has been upgraded on it since. I have a mountain to climb and very little resources to do it.

cooldude9919

reply to eweazel

said by eweazel:

said by cooldude9919:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Good point.

At the moment we have Teksavvy which I finally was allowed to upgrade after 3 years of bitching and we are now at 16/1. I will upgrade the ottawa store to the same.

We dont do anything close to 500gb, this is just more purely files (excel/word) that I want to have in a server in Toronto, rather then them having access only on their computers which again to me is a waste of resources and security, especially as in the past year I have seen money being wasted on data recovery for each computer because no one backs up, when these old computers crash.

I could be going about this the wrong way, if there is an easier way I am also open to it. This is me just scratching my head and how this place has been operated and thinkign there has to be a better way.

Well with only 1mbps upload dont expect anything great with streaming the camera video, but depending on the quality it may be OK enough.

weales

join:2002-06-30
Hampton, ON
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to eweazel

said by eweazel:

Even our online store is horrendous, it was first setup in 2003, and nothing has been upgraded on it since. I have a mountain to climb and very little resources to do it.

Upgrading your online store can be upgraded to something newer for a little $ depending on how you want things done. If you want more advice on this, just pm me, could either offer you something or point you in the direction to something else that would suite your needs better.