Re: [MoP] Mage thread of Awesomeness

that is awesome i love when my napkin math gets so close or is tits on

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
Yeah dude, strong work.

I can only imagine that the real breakpoint for haste would decrease in a raid setting, since one wouldn't have the luxury of standing and casting non-stop for 5 minutes. Movement would only allow for more mana regeneration and thus more casts with high mana and 6 Arcane Charges.

The other two Magi in my guild are staying Fire it seems..."I play the spec I like.", was their reasoning...it seems like a few short days ago they were both telling me to drop Arcane all together. I wonder if they'll sing another tune after tonight's raid...
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
cant say i blame them, fire is just fun even when i was heavy into my mage he was fire bgs raiding didnt matter

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
I don't blame them either...Shit, I played Arcane until my GM told me to respec pre-5.1, when it was terrible. I just like the style better.

It's just good to know that I made a choice a couple of weeks ago and it looks like it's going to pan out in my favor...at least where playing the spec I like will be a viable option on most, if not all current encounters.

An Arcane Mage broke into world top 5 on Gara'Jal 25m normal in the past couple days, I do believe...things seem to be looking up for the ol' 111111111112 gang.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to McBrain
BTW /ot

I don't know if you noticed but I know you have complained about VP per boss kill in reg/hero vs lfr

its been buffed
now you get 40vp per boss kill in reg/heroic

so 16x40
640vp for clearing all 16 bosses
450vp for doing all LFR's
so IF you did all 16 and all LFR's you'd be capped now.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
It's like they're in mah brain!!!

Next thing you know, they'll be offering current content cross realm for a small monthly fee.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
I don't see that happening.

my crystal ball made of air says no, but it did see that 25vp per boss was crap and would be fixed.

in your McBrain.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
Had a decent night in Heart of Fear last night...5/6 with 2 solid attempts on Grand Empress before raid time was up.

Here's the ranking info for my guild's kills last night if anyone is interested in seeing how I fared as Arcane against our other Magi who remained Fire.

»worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ujtno···2&e=2277

I always seem to suck balls at getting from one end of the Blade Lord's hallway to the other without eating a cyclone or two
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
On blade lord darkflight is awesome, and blink is risky.
Worgen FTW

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
Blink is what gets me most of the time. Obviously I only try to use it when there's room on the other side of the cyclone I'm blinking through, but latency and shit usually foil my plans.

On a positive note, I broke 100k on Garalon as Arcane...this is >20k more than my best as Fire. 8k higher than the next Mage, and 32k above the third Mage (both Fire). I was second highest ranged DPS, behind our 490+ geared sPriest.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
From LFR blade lord (which I think should be wind lord, as there's much more wind on him than on wind lord)

I don't use blink there because its to risky.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
Yep, I'm over blinking. Too many variables for it to be reliable. I'm usually #1 on recount going into p2, being Arcane I usually get passed by a dot class in p2, and it only gets worse if I don't make it to the platform really quick.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
good job by all on there, i still need to see the mechanics of these fights to give an opinion but, i see our theory crafting is paying off, huzzah!
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to McBrain
BTW whats the rang of those lock portals?

if its great enough a lock could put one at ether end and thus make it easier.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to cymraeg
Yeah man, we've done a pretty decent job I'd say.

There's one nuance to the haste stacking playstyle I noticed last night that I should point out...Managing mana, even with >34% haste (which is where I am raid buffed), becomes quite difficult when using Frost Bomb over Nether Tempest.

The reasoning behing this is because Tempest is cast much more often than Frost Bomb (~7 second cool down), resulting in far more Arcane Missile procs and subsequently more mana regen time.

This is somewhat troublesome on encounters that I've decided to use Frost Bomb on because of its superior performance over Nether Tempest (Wind Lord and Amber-Shaper). My guild's strategy on Wind Lord is to down all 9 adds as close to each other as possible, and we only CC a maximum of 2 at a time. Having 8 targets up leads to huge damage from Frost Bomb, but waaay fewer Arcane Missile Procs. It requires me to actually dump Arcane Charges if I have a bad stretch with no Arcane Missile procs.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to DarkLogix
It was actually brought up that our two Locks could put their portals end to end and it would stretch the length of the hallway, but then only 5 people could utilize them.

The portals last long enough for them to be placed before the pull and still be up for use in phase 2.

Vinceruos_t

join:2012-05-04
reply to McBrain
Just go frost for that fight :P

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to McBrain
said by McBrain:

It was actually brought up that our two Locks could put their portals end to end and it would stretch the length of the hallway, but then only 5 people could utilize them.

The portals last long enough for them to be placed before the pull and still be up for use in phase 2.

then I'd prioritize them for healer's and tanks

as you're in 25man raiding I guess that'd be 2 tanks and 3 heals

or Buy more locks.

In LFR I'm normally around the middle when p2 starts (your strat might change that.) but maybe put lock ports in the center and one end.

that would cut the travel distance in half for 10 people and that might be better than removing it for 5.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
reply to McBrain
if youre going to stay arcane i would go with invocation for that fight with that much haste i would guess that the cast time would be less than 5 secs. so that not only are you having the 25% bonus for the lack of mana but you can be more mobile.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
said by cymraeg:

if youre going to stay arcane i would go with invocation for that fight with that much haste i would guess that the cast time would be less than 5 secs. so that not only are you having the 25% bonus for the lack of mana but you can be more mobile.

That's an idea...I just wonder how much evocating I'd have to do to make up for the 30k combat regen I'd be losing. Another option would be to Scorch weave to alleviate some of the mana drain from Arcane Blast spamming.

I used Incanter's Ward on Garalon and it worked great. But, I'm not sure if there is enough constant damage on Wind Lord to provide the throughput that I get on Garalon, so that option is probably out.

I'll probably give the Scorch weaving option a try first, and if I get poor results I will give Invocation a shot.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

join:2010-08-17
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Sorry couldn't take part in convo, been under the weather. I will try to raid tonight as arcane, i will give results.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by cigtyme:

Sorry couldn't take part in convo, been under the weather. I will try to raid tonight as arcane, i will give results.

Call a shaman and get over the weather, plz.

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

Houma, LA
Feeling considerably better

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

Houma, LA
I tried Arcane, I hate it.

That is all.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
It's a little more involving than previously. The playstyle definitely will take a little getting used to. I think it's more about planning and anticipation where Fire is more reactionary and rng based.

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

Houma, LA
I will keep the spec. I had 27.92 haste last night. Only ran out of mana when i didn't put down RoP. Mobility isnt bad with Scorch. May swich to Ice Bomb, NT was driving me nuts. Was 3rd on DPS(used to first).