uniqs

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

All comes down to...

You can pay India or Philippines support less money and screw over the customer.
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098

Please refrain from the judicious use of the word support. I neither consider nor make valid claim that off shored lackeys with an elementary grasp of the language constitute more than a warm body with an American Name. These individuals offer little to no assistance beyond a prescribed script.

Heck, one day I called Acer to get help and the lady asked me five times in a row How I was doing. When I brought up that I'm fine for the 5th or so time, she lost her place, and proceeded to ask again. Thus, a 30 second resolution (warranty adjustment) with a native English speaker took a good fifteen minutes with this woman.

You get what you pay for Corporate America.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

That is why I had the part about screwing over the customer.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to jc10098

to jc10098
But they paid that lady less for a whole day than they would have paid an American for your 15 minutes.

I blew up at a Cisco reseller. i paid for 24/7 SMARTNET which used to get a technician with native English speaking skills. Now I get a thick accent apologizing for keeping me on hold for any hour.

I'd hold for 2 hours if I could speak to someone who could fix it.

Side anecdote, I have a friend that was born in Manila and lived in Bangalore for a few years. He refuses to call any tech support he makes me call. Which is funny as he speaks fluent Tagalog and Hindi.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to jc10098

Premium Member

to jc10098
said by jc10098:

Please refrain from the judicious use of the word support. I neither consider nor make valid claim that off shored lackeys with an elementary grasp of the language constitute more than a warm body with an American Name. These individuals offer little to no assistance beyond a prescribed script.

Heck, one day I called Acer to get help and the lady asked me five times in a row How I was doing. When I brought up that I'm fine for the 5th or so time, she lost her place, and proceeded to ask again. Thus, a 30 second resolution (warranty adjustment) with a native English speaker took a good fifteen minutes with this woman.

You get what you pay for Corporate America.

Last year I needed to do a warranty exchange for a Kindle. Called Amazon Kindle support (off-shore, of course) and spent 45 minutes on a call that should have taken 5.

Why did it take so long? Well apparently, the replacement order would not go through because the "support" rep only entered 4 digits for the zip code and the credit card would not verify. Of course she does not tell me this until the end of the call....
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

..and let's not forget, we love china, too we gave them our jobs!

-rob
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to ropeguru

to ropeguru
Old skool. Malaysia is the new outsourcing heaven... You get Manglish...
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098 to ropeguru

to ropeguru
Duly Noted
jc10098

jc10098 to Eagles1221

to Eagles1221
I concur on the cost savings, but frustrating the customer is unwise. At some point, the customer, given a choice, will go elsewhere if the people tasked to support are ill equipped to perform their jobs. Therefore, a savings is acquired in the short term only to be lost down the road.

I had a friend from India who told me they learn English and it's spoken for business. However, Hindi is a fast spoken and Indians have difficulty adjusting their pacing of English to make their speech recognizable. So you and I can't understand a word they say.

Per your friend, Tagalog won't help him unless we offshore to the Philippines. Funny how he won't even call.
jc10098

jc10098 to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
If you think that's bad, the same woman told me after asking where I lived (Houston at the time), we do not have a House-Town in Bombay, India. I said ma'am, that's fine but I'm not concerned about Bombay. I need you to adjust my warranty.

I think companies either want to frustrate you into hanging up or make the experience so undesirable you never call back again. I'm not sure which scenario is most accurate. However, I try to make a point to buy from companies that still use local support.

APC Batteries last I checked.
Logitech - I love them!
Microsoft - Last I checked

So on and so forth. I'd rather meet incompetence in my native tongue (English) where I can escalate the call than meet the wrath of a foreign speaker who has no clue how to do either,

anon212
@rr.com

anon212 to jc10098

Anon

to jc10098
a lot of tech support is in the land of the Pinoys, I think at one time it even rivaled India

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
I am tired of all the thick accent foreign support with their bogus americanized names. They are usually unable to help with real issues and are just another hurdle or roadblock to overcome when trying to deal with a large corporation's failings.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to jc10098

to jc10098
said by jc10098:

I concur on the cost savings, but frustrating the customer is unwise. At some point, the customer, given a choice, will go elsewhere if the people tasked to support are ill equipped to perform their jobs. Therefore, a savings is acquired in the short term only to be lost down the road.

Who cares if you upset the customer? The tech support is all the same so if company A pisses you off, company B will do the same with the same price and equipment. And company C is also doing the same so why even bother?

Face it, customer service is BS and very few people care anymore. Look at the canned response from Charter above. If you could get these idiots to tell the truth about how they really feel, you would get this answer, "We know you have no other choice but us so shut up, pay your bill and deal with it, idiots."
jp10558
Premium Member
join:2005-06-24
Willseyville, NY

jp10558 to jc10098

Premium Member

to jc10098
And strangely enough, Lenovo (for Think branded products) seems to still be in Georgia...