louist
And So It Goes
Premium
join:2001-12-01
Oakland Gardens, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Actiontec loses settings and re-enables wireless

Long time FIOS customer. Have Actiontec router serving three DVRS and a switch. All wired pcs go to the switch. Dhcp by the Actiontec. Want to use WPA2. For wireless security. Worked couple of years. Few months ago had connectivity loss problems and verizon Tech insisted on changing us from Ethernet to moca. Since then, Actiontec loses wireless security settings. No longer stays in WPA2 or in WPA. I set it. It stays Okay for few hours and then spontaneously reverts to WEP and loses the pass key I set. We are now using a separate wireless router to serve our wireless devices. It is fine in WPA2. However . Even though I disable the Actiontec wireless and reboot, etc. it (few hours later) reverts to WEP enabled.

I do not want WEP in my area as people hack into other's services. Our Actiontec seems to have latest firmware as per the firmware update process supported by them via Verizon. NEXT STEPS?

PP. I am reluctant to call verizon again to spend hours trying to get them to concentrate on actual problem. Probably have a bad Actiontec and need replacement.
--
regards,

Lou

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

1 edit
I would try to get a replacement router either over the phone or at the store (I am lucky my store is 15 mins away).

Or maybe unscrew the antenna so at least it should have little range?

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to louist
I have this happen every month or three when it seems like VZ updated the router. At that point, it goes back to factory default and I have to restore my customizations, including alternate DNS assignments and other things like Wireless network name, key and N-only band.

louist
And So It Goes
Premium
Oakland Gardens, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to louist
My apologies to Verizon. I gave in and went to Verizon Central to get the customer service number so I could call in the Actiontec problem.

Could not find it on their site. Used their on line CHAT expecting to just insist in obtaining a live person to speak to. Instead of a frustrating experience, I got the opposite! After I quickly explained what was wrong with my Actiontec, they IMMEDIATELY responded that they had already dispatched a replacement and I would just need to install it and return the original. No problem, no long drawn out and poorly run script that duplicated the diagnostics I had already run to determine that the Actiontec was done for.

Now waiting for Monday when UPS will deliver the replacement.

Hey Verizon: I apologize for assuming that I would experience a frustrating and difficult customer service experience. This was the exact opposite. Kudos to you!!
--
regards,

Lou

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by louist:

Used their on line CHAT expecting to just insist in obtaining a live person to speak to.

The only consistently good service I've had from Verizon has been via chat, and the lack of long waiting periods is a bonus.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

Marangelo

join:2012-12-13
Brooklyn, NY
reply to louist
I am an old DOS-HEAD. Not much knowledge with networking, trying to learn because my MI424WR FIRMWARE IS HACKED! When mouse is positioned a check box in GUI settings, browser address showson "JAVASCRIPT:MIMIC_BUTTON@ONCLICK=.XXXX" (XXX is a number, different for each one) When FIOS COAX CABLE is connected, the router freezes when setting clicked with the mouse. Must RESET to unlock it, lose my user name and password. Settings change with FIOS unplugged, however
None of the settings remain changed after I connect online.
netstat shows over 40 ports open, all forein addresses 0.0.0.0. Names *
Just discovered this cmd
telnet 192.168.1.1
ENTER USERNAME
ENTER PASSWORD
Logs into Command line Shell which overirdes GUI settings.
I would look at your browser address bar for MIMIC_BUTTON
RUN CMD try telnet login.
Type: help all to show all router commands.

Can anyone advise me where to learn about use of the commands?

Good luck Lou
Some reference material out there?

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by Marangelo:

my MI424WR FIRMWARE IS HACKED! When mouse is positioned a check box in GUI settings, browser address showson "JAVASCRIPT:MIMIC_BUTTON@ONCLICK=.XXXX" (XXX is a number, different for each one)

Some people would agree the GUI is a hack. But, the javascript:mimic_button is normal.

It's possible your router is locking up because too many connections and the connection table is full. Disable UPnP. You may be hacked from inside your LAN.

louist
And So It Goes
Premium
Oakland Gardens, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to louist
Verizon Tech came to check things out because the replacement router was not connecting properly on the WAN side. Turns out the replacement router had a defect. The Tech was great, professional and frankly did a wonderful job. So great in fact, that I updated our Review of Verizon Fios on this Website.

She replaced the router with the
I" version which is a gigabyte speed LAN ported device. She then restored us to Wan on ethernet which we were originally. Now Internet connections are fast and stable , and our VOD has returned to dependability.

Have to give credit to Verizon for a great customer support experience.
--
regards,

Lou