share rss forum feed

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to John97

Re: Not enough hot water - house has 2 WH connected together.

My wife refuses to allow me to turn the water heater down to 120. She insists it stay at 140. Given that's an option on the water heater there's no reason not to use it. If a water heater was meant to be run only at 120 they wouldn't make it configurable.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Draiman:

My wife refuses to allow me to turn the water heater down to 120. She insists it stay at 140. Given that's an option on the water heater there's no reason not to use it. If a water heater was meant to be run only at 120 they wouldn't make it configurable.

160 degrees is an option also so why not use it? Why heat water just to have to add cold water to temper it down to a tolerable temperature to use?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Draiman
said by Draiman:

Smart wife...

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionellosis

It's an option to stab yourself in the eye with a pencil. I don't suggest doing that, either.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Draiman:

160 degrees is an option also so why not use it? Why heat water just to have to add cold water to temper it down to a tolerable temperature to use?

You only need to heat the water to 140 to kill bacteria and you only need as much hot water as you can use. Heating it more then you need is pointless unless you like throwing money away. It doesn't matter what setting you use you still have to add cold water to temper the water down period end of story.

Example to 102 with 40 gallons:
120 to 102 = 15% or 6 gallons cold water = 46 gallons total
140 to 102 = ~27% or 11 gallons cold water = 51 gallons total

If you want to fill a bathtub with around 50 gallons of water which option would you pick?
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

said by Draiman:

Smart wife...

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionellosis

It's an option to stab yourself in the eye with a pencil. I don't suggest doing that, either.

How many people have documentated cases of acquiring it from a water heater? How many do you know? You are more likely to get it from your windshield washer fluid than a water heater.

a ubiquitous aquatic organism that thrives in temperatures between 25 and 45 °C (77 and 113 °F), with an optimum temperature of 35 °C (95 °F)

n 2010 a study by the UK Health Protection Agency reported that 20% of cases may be caused by infected windscreen washer systems
Adding an antibacterial agent to the automobiles' windshield system's reservoir is also recommended

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey