Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

Moron on the highway

So I'm coming across the 401 a couple of hours ago. its busy, but flowing nicely.

I see in my rearview mirror this "clown" zig zag into my lane and sit right on my tail. Well as i usually do with tailgater's, I "gently" tap my brakes, so I don't actually slow down but the lights get engaged.

He doesn't move... WTF that usually scares almost everyone off. Eventually he finds a gap and starts zig zagging out of traffic ahead of me. Well someone how he must have zapped the wrong way.. he got boxed in by a couple of tractor trailers..

This was at Keele Street, he caught up to me at the DVP.

No I wasn't being a left lane bandit, and I was dong 120 at the time if traffic goes faster then that on the 401, during the day, you are asking for trouble.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by elwoodblues:

Moron on the highway

Bummer, I thought this was going to be about Stetson$ See Profile

blast from the past

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

1 edit
reply to elwoodblues

I hate these idiots. I had the exact same thing happen last spring on the Anthony Henday, Edmonton's almost now complete ring road. Driving in the slow (right) lane and doing a few clicks above the speed limit (about 106 km/h), looking into the rearview mirror I see this asswipe driving a green Intrepid zig zagging between cars quite aggressively. He was catching up to me and I knew in order for him to continue he was going to have to cut me off so I sped up, hindering his movements. He pulls up beside me and with nowhere to go flips me the bird and mouths something nasty. To my surprise it was some jerk off in his 50s and not the young punk I had envisioned. I smiled at him and kept the prick boxed in with my old 1997 Buick LeSabre. When traffic broke a bit he eventually got in front of me (without having to cut me off), gunned it and immediately turned off the Hwy 14 exit ramp. Of course now he had to slam on his brakes as it was a single lane exit and traffic was moving at about 60 km/h and he was stuck behind the vehicles. He didn't even feel the need to tailgate which surprsed me, and I thought to myself "all that ignorant driving just to take the exit and get caught behind traffic? What did he think was gonna happen? Idiot".

I'll do it everytime too if I see someone driving like that. I'm tired of these entitled drivers figuring the road and the rules revolve around them.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to elwoodblues

Glad nothing bad happened in the end. This is very common. Can you call 911 and report such moron/s?
But next time just be patient and dont let it get to you.
Its better to be safe and alive than engage in pissing of someone who already is.

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to elwoodblues

I usually never tail gate and give myself quite a bit of space but I always close in as I see some retard coming up fast and they're gonna try to pass me at last minute and get in front of me even though there's no one behind me and I'm flowing with the traffic. So now I just close in and tail gate the car in front of me so they wont get it. Always get a dirty look but that's ok that's why my bear spray and machete are there for.

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab

1 edit

lol I keep a Louisville Slugger (with bat-tape for extra grip!) in the back seat on the floor hidden. Since there's so many agitated and potentially violent drivers out there, I'll take my chances with the police not liking the bat being present in the car.

Jackorama

join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON
reply to elwoodblues

My father-in-law is a real slow driving left lane bandit on and off the 401. He won't make a right hand turn on a red either. We keep telling him this is not Montreal. He moved from Montreal to Brockville in the 80's. We are so surprised that he hasn't been in a car accident yet.

Every time he is in Kingston, someone in a car is honking and yelling at him for his bad driving. A couple of weeks ago someone was honking and yelling at him, he thought one of his lights was out. We told him it was because he was driving slow in the left lane. He said that he doesn't want to come to Kingston because of how rude and bad the drivers are here. LOL with a face palm.

When do they start retesting senior drivers? He's 70 right now.

One of these days it will be my dad honking and yelling at him. My dad hates bad drivers.
--
"Whenever they invent something that's moron proof, someone comes by and invents a better moron."

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do."

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

This was at Keele Street, he caught up to me at the DVP.

So...and...well...did get get in front and slam on his brakes or what?

Or did he not rise above your level of passive aggressive behaviour and act like a gentleman on the highway unlike you?

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to elwoodblues

To play Devil's Advocate here, were you in the left lane to pass yourself? That's technically what it's for...

So 120 was plenty fast for you? Others (myself for example) will go 130 if conditions permit. Could I get a ticket? Sure, if I'm not careful. Then again, so might you at 120.

--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

said by Ian:

To play Devil's Advocate here, were you in the left lane to pass yourself? That's technically what it's for...

So 120 was plenty fast for you? Others (myself for example) will go 130 if conditions permit. Could I get a ticket? Sure, if I'm not careful. Then again, so might you at 120.

And to be Devil's Advocate to the Devil's Advocate I had the misfortune to have to go to toronto recently and 120 in the left lane would have held up everyone. heck 120 in the middle lane was barely sufficient.

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab

2 edits
reply to elwoodblues

Here's a goldie that happened in early spring this year. I was merging onto the Henday, crossed over to the fast (left) lane because of a very slow car in the slow lane and sped up to about 108 km/h (speed limit is a 100). Traffic was unusually very light and I glance in my rearview mirror and see some big white truck that's a long ways behind me barrelling towards me and I knew he was speeding but couldn't really judge just how fast. I glanced again 3 seconds later and yeah, this arsehole is already almost on my ass. I would have changed into the slow lane since it was the "proper" thing to do but I had no time. Since he was doing around 160 km/h (probably more) I just stayed in my lane knowing that if I switched lanes at this point it was going to be a serious safety issue because of his excessive speeding as either he was going to slam into the back of my car or he was going to lose control trying to avoid me in changing lanes. I mutter some words to myself about douches like this on the road... He passes me and I look ahead and see an SUV in the ditch - my first reaction is to check my speed which of course was ok and I'm now hoping it's a cop, probably the first time in my life I actually hope its a cop. I look up again and on went the cherries and the pusuit was on. I saw dummies brake lights even get applied in multiple short bursts (you're not fooling anyone fucktard) to try to slow down but it was obviously too late. By the time I caught up to the 2 vehicles pulled over on the shoulder, the cop was already walking towards the truck. I drove by honking my horn, laughing my ass off and waving.

So nice to see an idiot get what he deserves. Like in BC and Ontario, here's hoping Alberta brings in a law to start seizing vehicles.

pegcitynet

join:2009-09-02
reply to Ian

120 in the fast lane is very dangerous if people are trying to pass you. If there are faster moving vehicles, the safe thing to do is to move over and get out of the way. Don't tap your brakes, that is being rude, just move over.

Ian
Premium
ON
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

said by Ian:

And to be Devil's Advocate to the Devil's Advocate I had the misfortune to have to go to toronto recently and 120 in the left lane would have held up everyone. heck 120 in the middle lane was barely sufficient.

Which is actually pretty normal. The Highway was designed for those speeds.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab
reply to pegcitynet

quote:
120 in the fast lane is very dangerous if people are trying to pass you. If there are faster moving vehicles, the safe thing to do is to move over and get out of the way. Don't tap your brakes, that is being rude, just move over.
No, actually when someone is tailgating it's a safety issue. Like Elwood, I'll tap my brakes every time.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to loosedobbs

If you are on a 400 series highway you call *OPP to report such issues. They will respond.

I had to have a truck pulled over that was weaving all over the place a while ago and that's how I reported it.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

analog andy

Surrey, BC
reply to pegcitynet

said by pegcitynet:

I'm moving along at 120 with the traffic going 120, have my safety space and some retard thinks he's gonna try to squeeze in making me have hit my brakes I might as well cut them the fuck off.

If the fucker is tailgating me because he can't see in front of me and I'm again going with the traffic he's gonna heat my tail lights.

I don't try to do this too ofter but if there's enough space and the idiot in the back is tailgating I pretend to move over and just go half way though so they can see the for themselves what kinds of retard they are then I move back in to my lane. Works best with my lifted Bronco as most cars/trucks can't see past it and they thing I'm blocking traffic.

Ian
Premium
ON
reply to Kitlope

said by Kitlope:

No, actually when someone is tailgating it's a safety issue. Like Elwood, I'll tap my brakes every time.

So is taking one safety issue and compounding with it with another. Suppose he or she over-reacts to your "tapping" and that causes an accident?

If someone wants to pass you, and you're in the left-lane, even if they're tailgating, take a chill pill, move over, and let them.
--

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab

2 edits

quote:
So is taking one safety issue and compounding with it with another. Suppose he or she over-reacts to your "tapping" and that causes an accident?

If someone wants to pass you, and you're in the left-lane, even if they're tailgating, take a chill pill, move over, and let them.

Now you're simply assuming the scenerio and my reaction (even though I said I would tap my brakes every time - it's not quite true. Bad wording on my part). I never said anything about being in the left lane. But, for the record, If I'm in the left lane and someone comes up behind me and there's room, I will move. I even try to do this ahead of time as to keep traffic flow unimpeded. I have no problems with that. If it's bottleneck traffic and I cannot move then there's no point in tailgating me and I WILL tap the brakes. I mean, where am I supposed to go? Speed up and drive over the car in front of me?

Usually though I'm in the right lane since I drive a grandpa car and like any decent driver uses the left lane to just pass. But as we both know even being in the right lane, when there's a traffic free left lane, doesn't stop the tailgaters. In many cases, even in the right slow lane, doing 10 over the speed limit it's not good enough for them and it's like I'm supposed to drive into the shoulder or the ditch to let them by. No, I will tap my brakes. Get the fuck over into your fast lane and don't try to egg me on to speed up so I can get the speeding ticket. You wanna be a douchebag, I'll be a douche right back. It's for your own good buddy because if I do have to slam on my brakes for whatever reason it will be YOUR fault rearending me.

It's like the guy that I know is gonna cut me off. I'll do what it takes to stop this from occuring, even if it means I'm now the asshole.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to Ian

+1
Driving is not like standing in a line, no one owns a 'spot' on the road.
--
~ Project Hope ~

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

i was driving home last week and was on the 402...had the cruise set at 110...about to calmly passing a transport truck (that was in the right lane), likely doing 105ish...right at the last minute, this stupid Yukon comes zooming up the right side and jets out in front of me to get in front...fine, whatever, jackass...he then slows down to 110 (which is where i was at) and we slowly pass the transport truck...i am about even with the middle of the truck and some car is riding my ass now, and flashes his high beams at me...whatever, i can't go anywhere, i have that idiot in front of me, and now some jerk in a hurry behind me...now i just want to get away from these people...shortly after, the Yukon moves over (now in front of the transport truck), so i accelerate to get away from these morons and pull ahead of the Yukon and move over the right lane to allow Mr Impatient behind me room to go on with his day...for that short distance, i was likely going in the 125-130 range so i could hurry up and pass the truck and the Yukon so i could move out of the way of the guy behind me...after i pulled over back to the right lane, i slowed back to down to my usual 110ish...i see the car move up and bit, then sit beside for a few seconds...i look over, and it was an OPP cruiser...it was dark out, and i couldn't see what he was doing (likely just letting me know he was there), then he proceeded on his way...while i was speeding for a very short distance, i would have been pretty pissed off if i got a ticket...i was the only one doing the speed limit, until i was almost run off the road by the Yukon and then visually told to "move" from the flash of the high beams from the cop...i don't know, maybe he was flashing the Yukon (not sure).
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Ian

said by Ian:

said by Kitlope:

The tailgater's fault, following too closely.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab

quote:
The tailgater's fault, following to closely.

Exactly. Whatever happened to the 3 second rule?

Ian
Premium
ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

said by Ian:

said by Kitlope:

Tailgating IS dangerous. So is tapping the brakes when you have one on you. 2 wrongs.....and such.
--

analog andy

Surrey, BC
reply to Kitlope

These days all it means is Oh look I got a spot I can get in front of that last car and then have to hit the brakes while I try not to hit the car in front of me because I need to pass the last car in the line.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
reply to elwoodblues

I drive a ton on the 400's I could easily write a novel.

My biggest gripe is drafters/tailgaters, people want to save fuel by endangering themselves. If you've ever driven a bigger truck, you no see the mirror I'm most likely not seeing you.

This past Friday (GTA snow day) QEW from Oakville to Niagara. I witness 4 center meridian wall hits from people not adjusting driving to road conditions, each of these accident were tailgaters overbraking and losing the back end, overcorrecting and letting Issac Newton drive. 1 resulted in an airbag deploy so that vehicle is a write off. I was in a 20ft box truck at 80 max the whole slow journey.

This morning some self important d***wad decided he and his BMW 650is were more important then the countless other commuters and on occasion was using both shoulders, entrance/exit ramps and countless close fits to cut his self important commute to a minimum. I called the plate into *677 and the office even let me know that they have multiple reports, so hopefully the OPP interrupted that self important d***wad rush.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

said by Ian:

said by Kitlope:

I know of a case in the courts right now, where the tailgater is claiming "aggressive braking" as a cause of the accident in question.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab

quote:
I know of a case in the courts right now, where the tailgater is claiming "aggressive braking" as a cause of the accident in question.

Thats where I draw the line. I'll tap the brakes but I don't actually try to slow down as I don't need my reliable 17 year old Buick written off. Regarding the court case you speak of, if the original guy wasn't tailgating the other guy wouldn't have had to "aggressively brake". I hope it's thrown out.

analog andy

Surrey, BC
reply to I_H8_Spam

said by I_H8_Spam:

$500 gets them an aggressive nose job from a stranger on the street.

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab

1 edit
reply to Ian

quote:
Tailgating IS dangerous. So is tapping the brakes when you have one on you. 2 wrongs.....and such.
So I'm supposed to just let him tailgate me and not do anything proactive to stop it? And risk writing off my car? I realize tapping on the brakes comes across as "rude" to the impatient tailgater but lets look at it this way... perhaps I'm just letting him know that I'm aware that he's behind me and I know he wants to get in front of me and when I get a chance I'll let the guy by.

Like I said, there's no point in riding my ass when I have no where to go. And those are the worst, other than the drivers that insist on driving slow in the left lane with 0 traffic on the highway. Why not drive slow in the right lane?

And just to add, I've been driving for 20 years and have not once got into an accident, whether my fault or not. I do usually drive defensively and try to think of the other driver and not to impede traffic flow. But we all make mistakes sometimes...

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

...while i was speeding for a very short distance, i would have been pretty pissed off if i got a ticket...

But you would run down to the courthouse to pay your tax?...I meant ticket...you were speeding right?....it's against the law?...right...and if you break the law you have to plead guilty right?...and if you exorcise your right to have the state substantiate their allegations you are a bad, bad, bad person right?