Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Ian

Re: Moron on the highway

said by Ian:

said by Kitlope:

No, actually when someone is tailgating it's a safety issue. Like Elwood, I'll tap my brakes every time.

So is taking one safety issue and compounding with it with another. Suppose he or she over-reacts to your "tapping" and that causes an accident?

The tailgater's fault, following too closely.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

quote:
The tailgater's fault, following to closely.

Exactly. Whatever happened to the 3 second rule?

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

said by Ian:

said by Kitlope:

No, actually when someone is tailgating it's a safety issue. Like Elwood, I'll tap my brakes every time.

So is taking one safety issue and compounding with it with another. Suppose he or she over-reacts to your "tapping" and that causes an accident?

Tailgating IS dangerous. So is tapping the brakes when you have one on you. 2 wrongs.....and such.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to Kitlope

These days all it means is Oh look I got a spot I can get in front of that last car and then have to hit the brakes while I try not to hit the car in front of me because I need to pass the last car in the line.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to elwoodblues

I drive a ton on the 400's I could easily write a novel.

My biggest gripe is drafters/tailgaters, people want to save fuel by endangering themselves. If you've ever driven a bigger truck, you no see the mirror I'm most likely not seeing you.

This past Friday (GTA snow day) QEW from Oakville to Niagara. I witness 4 center meridian wall hits from people not adjusting driving to road conditions, each of these accident were tailgaters overbraking and losing the back end, overcorrecting and letting Issac Newton drive. 1 resulted in an airbag deploy so that vehicle is a write off. I was in a 20ft box truck at 80 max the whole slow journey.

This morning some self important d***wad decided he and his BMW 650is were more important then the countless other commuters and on occasion was using both shoulders, entrance/exit ramps and countless close fits to cut his self important commute to a minimum. I called the plate into *677 and the office even let me know that they have multiple reports, so hopefully the OPP interrupted that self important d***wad rush.

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

said by Ian:

said by Kitlope:

I know of a case in the courts right now, where the tailgater is claiming "aggressive braking" as a cause of the accident in question.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab

quote:
I know of a case in the courts right now, where the tailgater is claiming "aggressive braking" as a cause of the accident in question.

Thats where I draw the line. I'll tap the brakes but I don't actually try to slow down as I don't need my reliable 17 year old Buick written off. Regarding the court case you speak of, if the original guy wasn't tailgating the other guy wouldn't have had to "aggressively brake". I hope it's thrown out.

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to I_H8_Spam

said by I_H8_Spam:

$500 gets them an aggressive nose job from a stranger on the street.

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab

1 edit
reply to Ian

quote:
Tailgating IS dangerous. So is tapping the brakes when you have one on you. 2 wrongs.....and such.
So I'm supposed to just let him tailgate me and not do anything proactive to stop it? And risk writing off my car? I realize tapping on the brakes comes across as "rude" to the impatient tailgater but lets look at it this way... perhaps I'm just letting him know that I'm aware that he's behind me and I know he wants to get in front of me and when I get a chance I'll let the guy by.

Like I said, there's no point in riding my ass when I have no where to go. And those are the worst, other than the drivers that insist on driving slow in the left lane with 0 traffic on the highway. Why not drive slow in the right lane?

And just to add, I've been driving for 20 years and have not once got into an accident, whether my fault or not. I do usually drive defensively and try to think of the other driver and not to impede traffic flow. But we all make mistakes sometimes...

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

...while i was speeding for a very short distance, i would have been pretty pissed off if i got a ticket...

But you would run down to the courthouse to pay your tax?...I meant ticket...you were speeding right?....it's against the law?...right...and if you break the law you have to plead guilty right?...and if you exorcise your right to have the state substantiate their allegations you are a bad, bad, bad person right?

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab
reply to elwoodblues

This thread reminds me of a bumper sticker I have always wanted to find or get made: "I brake for no apparent reason"

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3

said by Kitlope:

This thread reminds me of a bumper sticker I have always wanted to find or get made: "I brake for no apparent reason"

Or Hallucinations, is another I have seen.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to elwoodblues

said by Kitlope:

quote:

Thats where I draw the line. I'll tap the brakes but I don't actually try to slow down as I don't need my reliable 17 year old Buick written off. Regarding the court case you speak of, if the original guy wasn't tailgating the other guy wouldn't have had to "aggressively brake". I hope it's thrown out.

In this case, the party is a work colleague hit by the tailgated (rear ended) driver's out of control vehicle, and ended up wedged under the back wheels of a semi truck, facing the wrong direction of travel. She spend 3 days in hospital as a direct result, and a month off recovering.

It's a mess, and she can't seek compensation until this matter is resolved as this case would determine the fault party.
--

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab

quote:
In this case, the party is a work colleague hit by the tailgated (rear ended) driver's out of control vehicle, and ended up wedged under the back wheels of a semi truck, facing the wrong direction of travel. She spend 3 days in hospital as a direct result, and a month off recovering.

Well that changes things because there's another party involved too and it sounds more serious than I thought. And I'll say it again, all of this could have been avoided by the simple act of giving room to the vehicle in front.

If there's one good habit I have when driving other than not using my cell phone or texting with it is that I ALWAYS give ample room to the driver in front of me. Many of these accidents (sorry - consequences) of collisions is simply because people follow to close. It's not rocket science. Sometimes a guy will pull into this buffer zone and unless he cuts me off in doing so (I'll admit I sometimes shake my fist when this occurs) I just let off on the gas and give myself the room that I need. It's not a big deal and not worth getting worked up over. But tailgaters, yeah I hate 'em. It's just so unnecessary.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to elwoodblues

Kitlope

Edmonton, Ab

Love the last one. I think I'm gonna buy one to go along with the few other bumper stickers I have.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

So I'm coming across the 401 a couple of hours ago. its busy, but flowing nicely.

I see in my rearview mirror this "clown" zig zag into my lane and sit right on my tail.

This can occur with drivers of any age, but IMHO it happens somewhat more with people who have grown up with advanced video games.

Too many people drive their cars the same way they zig and zag on the monitor or screen. Seriously. They can't differentiate between virtual reality and physical reality.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Kitlope

said by Kitlope:

So I'm supposed to just let him tailgate me and not do anything proactive to stop it?

If it's a multi-lane road you move over to the right allow them to pass (to which, you shouldn't be in anything but the right lane unless you're already passing someone). If it's a two-lane highway with only one lane per direction of travel and they are unable or unwilling to use the other direction's lane to pass you, it is best to be the bigger man and pull over on the shoulder to allow that person to pass.

As much as everyone is guilty at some point of tapping the brake, it's really not a smart thing to do.

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to PX Eliezer7

What annoys/scares me is a pattern I've noticed often on the QEW in the GTA, the tailgater will aggressively respond to the slow "lane hogger" when an opening appears on the right. Being seated much higher then a common car I can see this stuff unfold all the time.

Maybe age is clouding my memory, but I don't remember people being so aggressive in the 90s; and I drove almost just as much then.

--

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

said by dirtyjeffer:

...while i was speeding for a very short distance, i would have been pretty pissed off if i got a ticket...

But you would run down to the courthouse to pay your tax?...I meant ticket...you were speeding right?....it's against the law?...right...and if you break the law you have to plead guilty right?...and if you exorcise your right to have the state substantiate their allegations you are a bad, bad, bad person right?

yes, it is against the law...just as it technically was when my cruise was on at 110...but i wasn't really "speeding", i was trying to get out of his way.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by dirtyjeffer:

just as it technically was when my cruise was on at 110...but i wasn't really "speeding"

Yes you were. Now submit yourself to the nearest detachment of the London Police Service and demand that they issue you a Part I Provincial Offenses Notice to penalize you for your transgression.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

said by Gone:

said by dirtyjeffer:

just as it technically was when my cruise was on at 110...but i wasn't really "speeding"

Yes you were. Now submit yourself to the nearest detachment of the London Police Service and demand that they issue you a Part I Provincial Offenses Notice to penalize you for your transgression.

+1

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Gone

that's rich, coming from you...you have shared your driving style on more than one occasion in here.

and it would have been OPP territory, not LPS.

pegcitynet

join:2009-09-02
reply to Kitlope

If you are obstructing traffic flow then you are equally responsible in creating the danger. Swallow your pride, move to the slow lane, and allow the traffic to pass you. It's not your prerogative to slow traffic down, that's the police's job. Move over, let the speedster get by, and chances are eventually he will get flagged and ticketed by law enforcement.

If you try to slow traffic down you make the highway more dangerous for everyone around you.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Kitlope

I do the same thing, but in Toronto , if you leave more then a car and a half of space between you and the front vehicle,somebody will take it, guaranteed.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to pegcitynet

that's why i got out of their way.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer

I don't remember Gone ever having a kinipshit when people plead not guilty to a traffic offence.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

I do the same thing, but in Toronto , if you leave more then a car and a half of space between you and the front vehicle,somebody will take it, guaranteed.

they do that here too...it drives me nuts...i like leaving some space, but idiots always dart in there...having some james bond guns pop out of the fenders would come in handy sometimes.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

that's rich, coming from you...you have shared your driving style on more than one occasion in here.

My "storied history" is irrelevant, as I have never once told someone that they should feel ashamed for exercising their legal rights when charged with a traffic offense. You, though... well, you've done it on more occasions than my storied history with this forum could count.

Also, LPS has just as much legal authority on a 400-series highway in the Province of Ontario as the OPP. I figured LPS would be more convenient for you to get to, seeing as how a good little citizen like you would want to ensure that you receive sufficient punishment for your violation of law, right?

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to elwoodblues

I worked with a guy who took the same route home as I did. About a
35 minute drive in "early" rush hour. We would pull out of the lot at
the same time. Between there and the Delta side of the Alex Fraser
bridge this guy would make ten lane changes for every one I made.

He used to cut people off all the time. One time a guy caught up to
him and threw what had to be an almost full Big Gulp Coke through
his open window. Anyways, I digress....it never failed....after
speeding, multiple lane changes, tailgating, etc he would be about
100 feet in front of me when he pulled off the bridge.

Then one day....oh the beauty of it all....he made a 3 lane change on
Knight Street going down the hill to the Knight Street bridge. He
went from the far left lane into the curb lane in one move. Alas the
was a big truck in the center lane blocking his view. Waiting for him
in the curb lane was a city bus picking up passengers. BANG....bus
had scratches....his car was damn near totaled. He was fine thanks
to airbags.

By the way....this guy is the living incarnation of Homer Simpson!
I kid you not!

FaxCap