uniqs

postjosh
join:2006-01-01
New York, NY

1 recommendation

postjosh

[connectivity] mifi for sandy outage

Click for full size
no one at verizon seems to know about this but they are offering a mifi "jetpack" for those of us who have lost dsl from sandy with a 5gb / mo limit until the service is restored. call the number on the attachment and they will let you know if you qualify.

if you call the regular tech support they don't know anything about it! i still haven't got mine but i keep trying...
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

this is only for selected people in selected areas. your area has to be a chosen area.

postjosh
join:2006-01-01
New York, NY

postjosh

well i got the unit. i had some issues but it is working now. it does drop your connection if it's idle so i'm experimenting with streaming something in the background at all times. otherwise, you have to recycle the power on it constantly. i'm a little concerned about the 5gb data cap mentioned on the flyer. if this works for me, i may invest in a cradlepoint router to do "wifi as wan" until/if i get my dsl back. speed seems to vary a lot by the placement of the device. i'm seeing pings of about 50ms and dl of 5mbps and uploads of 12mbs. upload is faster = weird.

if this doesn't work, i will surrender and get fios which is about $25 more per month and necessitates having that ridiculous wall mounted box in my apartment near a power outlet.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

you might not have a choicee of getitng dsl back. alot of NYC was so damaged they are not fixing copper and just upgrading to fiber