share rss forum feed

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to ekster

Re: Some new Kickstarters

What happens if these dudes just take allt his money and run with it?

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

The creators do have an obligation to either fulfill the project, or refund the money if they are unable to complete the project... but like anything else, if they run, then they run. Not much you can do.

A few more details.
»www.kickstarter.com/blog/account···kstarter

In general, I either pick projects that have a big name behind (you know they'll have to do it, as reputation would mean too much for them to screw up) or there is already a fair amount of work done, like the game above. I doubt they'd spend all that time making so much of the game only to run afterwards.

But it's a risk like anything else in the end. Though, so far, kickstarter has been pretty good for everyone.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

Let me get this straight.
Company XYZ makes games.
People are giving real money away to XYZ (through an intermediary) so that XYZ will produce what they are supposed to produce to begin with, without gaining real consideration (stocks, etc).
If and when XYZ does produce the title, the same people who have already given money away, will give XYZ more money to purchase that game they have already funded.
Is that about right?
--
~ Project Hope ~

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

By funding it, depending on your pledge and their reward, you will have the product, and possibly other extra things (if you choose the higher rewards.)

As for the supposed to be making it part... for some, they will make it regardless if they get funded or not by kickstarter, others will not be able to make it in the first place if it doesn't get funded originally, and some will be able to make it bigger and better with extra funds than what they had originally been able to do with extra funding.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada

Interesting, I have to digest this.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

And for what it's worth, the lower tier plain pledges for most video games, where you just get the game and nothing extra, have all been $10-20 so far (at least the ones I've seen.) Including big titles like Project Eternity... which will probably retail for the usual $60 in stores later on, I bet.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada

Oh, you do get a copy of the game then.
Thx.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to ekster

I'm sure people are being smart about this but from what I read there's no real stopping them from just taking your money and running with it? Doesn't it seem like a big scam?

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

It's always a possibility, like anywhere else. People can always run of with you money everywhere. But kickstarter is not a scam. It's been around since 2009 and has worked fine so far.

Plus the updates show the actual product being worked on... so it's not a quick 'we want to do this, thanks, see ya!' thing. You can see them working on it.

And while there were some scams, they got found out and shut down pretty quick. But in the end, if you don't trust it, then nothing can be done or said to change that and you would be better off avoiding it.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to I AM

I don't think there's the risk of a company taking your money and running, as much as a developer fails to live up to the promises and hype and the the backlash affects Kickstarter.

But that remains to be seen. The Star Citizens and Project Obsidians will be what Kickstarter needs to remain successful.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

Another awesome kickstarter is Elite Dangerous:
Going from this in the 80's

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuvbZpH1QuE

To this:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5JYRyhxYhI

»www.kickstarter.com/projects/146···angerous

Adding more into the space sim genre.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Out of space sims, I'm personally following »www.kickstarter.com/projects/nyp···egy-game

There are plenty of 4X FPS/Sim type games, and I've been looking for a turn based one for a while... so I'm keeping an eye out on the above. It seems to be a much smaller project, but they're already pretty far into it.

But first, I want to see Forsaken Fortress to go through!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Jobbie

I read somewhere that Elite was one of the big inspirations for EVE-Online.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Deremus

join:2011-09-01
Chandler, AZ
reply to ekster

said by ekster:

But first, I want to see Forsaken Fortress to go through!

I got interested in Forsaken Fortress as well, being a fan of Dwarf Fortress. I checked out their site and it looks like they got the goal funding plus a little extra. I can't wait for it to be finished!