Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON

1 edit

VPN providers

Can anyone recomend Cheap VPN provider? I'm new to VPN stuff but would like all my traffic to remain private..

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

Be careful of your uses behind said VPN. Most VPN providers based in the U.S. are required to keep IP logs. Anonymity: gone.

neuromancer1

York, ON
reply to neuromancer1

I've read about that, now. I'm looking for a provider that's Canadian based and doesn't log my traffic.

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to neuromancer1

This link may help you. It's over a year old, so some of it may be out of date.

»torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-provi···-111007/

If you're open to switching providers, Acanac currently provides a free VPN and SSH tunnel with their internet packages. To my knowledge, the SSH tunnel is not logged. I am not sure if the VPN is or not, but it does allow you to hide your home IP address from everywhere you visit online when it's active.

neuromancer1

York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by Samgee:

This link may help you. It's over a year old, so some of it may be out of date.

»torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-provi···-111007/

If you're open to switching providers, Acanac currently provides a free VPN and SSH tunnel with their internet packages. To my knowledge, the SSH tunnel is not logged. I am not sure if the VPN is or not, but it does allow you to hide your home IP address from everywhere you visit only when it's active.

Thanks for the information I'll read it over but I'll pass on Acanac.

Fyodor

join:2012-08-13
reply to neuromancer1

said by neuromancer1:

I've read about that, now. I'm looking for a provider that's Canadian based and doesn't log my traffic.

You're doing it backwards. In the United States there is no log requirement while in Canada there is.

What you don't have in the United States is the guarantee that the authorities need a warrant to order a wiretap on your VPN.

neuromancer1

York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by Fyodor:

said by neuromancer1:

You're doing it backwards. In the United States there is no log requirement while in Canada there is.

What you don't have in the United States is the guarantee that the authorities need a warrant to order a wiretap on your VPN.

I guess in that case I'll look for a provider that doesn't operate out of both Canada or the US.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
reply to neuromancer1

I'm assuming you're concerned about the new legislation in Canada that has scared a lot of people sharing copyrighted content.

neuromancer1

York, ON

Sorry, not going into the reason why I want a VPN other then I want my traffic private.

Irenic

join:2000-05-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to neuromancer1

Do you want to use P2P on this connection?

Is security important? (e.g is PPTP okay?)

For watching US Netflix and other US-restricted content I've had good success with »www.strongvpn.com.

For P2P stuff, you'll want to stay away from US hosts, I've had good succes with »www.bolehvpn.net.

Both are fairly cheap.

shwatkin
Premium
join:2007-10-02
Bowmanville, ON
Reviews:
·Distributel Cable
reply to neuromancer1

Been using boxpn (»www.boxpn.com/) for a while now and the speeds are good (2.0+ MB/s depending on the time of day, can max out my 28Mb/s cable connection on occasion), there are lots of servers to pick from, unlimited switches between servers, includes servers that support torrenting, support has been excellent and fast whenever I've contacted them, and the price for a year of unlimited service is $44 (or $3.75 a month). I'd sign up for 1 month first and then if you like the service extend for a year.

Most popular service is likely HideMyAss (»www.hidemyass.com/vpn/) but they are more money at $60 a year. However they have a lot more servers to pick from. Not sure about limitations on switching or torrenting.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by shwatkin:

Most popular service is likely HideMyAss (»www.hidemyass.com/vpn/) but they are more money at $60 a year. However they have a lot more servers to pick from. Not sure about limitations on switching or torrenting.

No limits.

singerie3

join:2008-10-12
Saint-Constant, QC
reply to neuromancer1

hidemyass won't hesitate to sell you to the authorities the first chance they get. i would stay away from them.

i would choose »www.privateinternetaccess.com/

you can even pay with bitcoin !

Guru

www.cryptocloud.com I would recommend, they don't log anything!
But is expensive!

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
reply to singerie3

said by singerie3:

hidemyass won't hesitate to sell you to the authorities the first chance they get. i would stay away from them.

Bitcoin is the best way to pay for VPN, also privateinternetaccess does not keep any kind of logs either; hell they don't even ask for your name. Only need a email address and bitcoins; 2.9 bitcoins for 1 yr of service.

neuromancer1

York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia

3 edits

said by technocar2:

said by singerie3:

Bitcoin is the best way to pay for VPN, also privateinternetaccess does not keep any kind of logs either; hell they don't even ask for your name. Only need a email address and bitcoins; 2.9 bitcoins for 1 yr of service.

Privateinternetaccess is whom I went with $39.95 USD yearly but I didn't know about this Bitcoin stuff how do you use it?

said by Irenic:

Do you want to use P2P on this connection?

Is security important? (e.g is PPTP okay?)

For watching US Netflix and other US-restricted content I've had good success with »www.strongvpn.com.

For P2P stuff, you'll want to stay away from US hosts, I've had good succes with »www.bolehvpn.net.

Both are fairly cheap.

StrongVPN Logs and I'm using OpenVPN. PPTP is unstable with 3rd party firmware like WRT-DD, TomatoUSB on routers.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..

Does privateinternetaccess have the ability to give you US Netfilx as well?

I already us unblock-us, but I also wouldnt mind getting a private tunnel, so my question is basically...

Do any of the above mentioned VPN providers allow american streaming?

singerie3

join:2008-10-12
Saint-Constant, QC
reply to neuromancer1

yeah they have vpn server in 9 country. you can check their list here

»www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/network/

qewey

join:2007-10-04

1 edit
reply to neuromancer1

Thanks for all the info,

3 questions :

1) all of them say they have servers in the US and canada but it means they are subjected to US and canadian laws (ie they can be obligated to divulge their logs and IP info) ?

Just want to understand clearly how they can operate servers in the US and canada and not be subjected to domestic laws ?

2) I assume they all keep logs but for how long ? Does any of them not keep logs ?

3) can you change your IP conveniently at will ? how do they allocate their IP pool ? something like dynamic DHCP ?

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to neuromancer1

BTGuard. Cheap and you get an IP from Canada, Netherlands and maybe elsewhere.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to shwatkin

said by shwatkin:

Been using boxpn for a while now and the speeds are good

The speeds you quoted, are you getting that throughput using PPTP / L2TP + SSTP?

Looks promising. Thanks.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

shwatkin
Premium
Bowmanville, ON

Mike, those speeds are via PPTP/L2TP. I didn't bother with the SSTP account, figured 256-bit encryption would be good enough. It's really easy to choose your encryption type if you use their login software, which is actually pretty good.

tguser

@you-host.org

I've been using Torguard.net VPN for a couple weeks and just got this in an email for those interested.

For a limited time, you can now give yourself (or that geek you know) the gift of encryption for 30% off regular price! If you missed out on BlackFriday and were asleep for CyberMonday, this is a perfect opportunity to cash in on one of our last big holiday sales. Starting on December 14th, all the way through the 25th, just enter the discount code “AnonymousSanta” during checkout to instantly receive 30% off of all services in your shopping cart. This discount applies to all TorGuard services, including our VPN, proxy and VPN Reseller packages!

Guru

1 edit

*** I misread the dates!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to shwatkin

said by shwatkin:

Mike, those speeds are via PPTP/L2TP. I didn't bother with the SSTP account, figured 256-bit encryption would be good enough. It's really easy to choose your encryption type if you use their login software, which is actually pretty good.

Done deal, all signed up for a month to check it out. Very painless setup.

Thanks for the intel. Sorry if it appears I'm posting from, you know, Istanbul.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

qewey

join:2007-10-04
reply to tguser

said by tguser :

I've been using Torguard.net VPN for a couple weeks

how is torguard ? how is speed and are there a lot of disconnect ?

can you switch between servers unlimited ? how many servers are there.

can you change IP easily ?

They seems to be based in Panama and not in any ACTA countries so that looks good.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to neuromancer1

if it helps I have been happy with ipredator.se

»www.ipredator.se (was also mentioned on the torrentfreak article mentioned in this thread)

the price is 150SEK (approx. $22.4559 USD) for 3 months. Breaks down annually to about $90/yr ($89.82) USD and averages about $7.49 USD a month. I also recommend using the software they recommend called viscosity for windows 7. Works fantastic and is only $10.

You get a swedish based IP address from across the pond.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON
reply to neuromancer1

Any good reliable ones out there for us students? >>

Really inexpensive or even free? Greatly appreciated! Thanks in

advance!

Guru

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by GoRaptors:

Any good reliable ones out there for us students? >>

How much are you willing to pay? Give us a budget!

shwatkin
Premium
Bowmanville, ON
Reviews:
·Distributel Cable
reply to GoRaptors

Private Internet Access ($3.33 monthly/$39.95 yearly) and boxpn ($3.75 monthly/$44 yearly) are both pretty cheap. Even for the poorest student. Just skip the pub this weekend and that should pay for your year with either provider.

Also, if you pay for your internet access you could consider a switch to Acanac as they provide VPN access for free with their DSL or Cable service. Personally though I'd pay for VPN as that allows you to quickly switch services if you aren't happy, its much harder (or at least less convenient) to switch ISP's.