spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

Android Dominates Smartphone Platform

Google’s Android operating system will power more than two-thirds of smartphones sold worldwide in 2012, and will remain the dominant platform for at least the next four years, a survey showed Tuesday.

The survey by the research firm IDC showed Android will be the platform for 68.3 percent of smartphones shipped in 2012, far ahead of 18.8 percent for the iOS platform used on Apple’s iPhone.

“IDC forecasts Android to be the clear leader in the smartphone mobile operating system race, thanks in large part to a broad selection of devices from a wide range of partners,” the market tracker said.

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH
Not completely unexpected. Apple has 'limited' themselves by being the only hardware provider. Google has gone the opposite route, some may say to their detriment, and opened it up for anyone and everyone to build hardware for.
--
We don't give a d@mn for the whole state of Michigan... we're from OHIO! O!H! ... I!O!

FF4m3

@rr.com
reply to FF4m3
Forgot to post link - Android will power more than two-thirds of smartphones sold in 2012: IDC

FF4m3

@rr.com
reply to FF4m3
Microsoft's anti-Android Twitter campaign draws ire, irony - 5th December 2012:

Microsoft has launched a repeat of a Twitter-based anti-Android marketing stunt that it first tried last year, but this year's campaign seems to have netted the software giant more than it bargained for.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to FF4m3
wow is that ever a content free fluff bit of reporting. Well done, TheRegister, well done.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

El Quintron
I dunno, lemme check my trollodex
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by JohnInSJ:

wow is that ever a content free fluff bit of reporting. Well done, TheRegister, well done.

How so?

One software entity's campaign against another is IT news. It may not be interesting news to some, but it doesn't stop being IT news because of that.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by El Quintron:

said by JohnInSJ:

How so?

One software entity's campaign against another is IT news. It may not be interesting news to some, but it doesn't stop being IT news because of that.

The news is news, the posting of other people's tweets using the same hashtag is "OMG I JUST STARTED USING TWITTER" - content free fluff.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

El Quintron
I dunno, lemme check my trollodex
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
A social marketing campaign (even as the poorly executed astroturf that it is) still a move by Microsoft, and worthy of being covered by El Reg.

What's poor here, isn't El Reg's coverage, it's the fact that Microsoft's overpriced PR nerds can't do better, than a half assed twitter campaign.

FWIW: I work for a different company, in a different field, but we are comparable in size to Microsoft... if anyone in our marketing/social media team came up with this, they'd be fired in a heartbeat.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to GILXA1226
I agree that apple has limited themselves by doing hardware and software,
I'm curious about the new guys on the block, Microsoft. Are they going the way of apple, and controlling both software and hardware, or will they go Google, and just license their OS out to a variety of phone makers?

I think the Google approach is good and bad. Good because it's out there on a wide variety of platforms. bad because the experience may be different from one type of device to the next type of device. Because hardware is different for each manufacturer. Where as Apple is basically the same old same old from the Iphone 4 to the 4s to the 5.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 edit
Bad because there is no platform consistency, On the other hand anybody can license Android. There is no rule that says for example a cable box could not be Android powered. or a game console or even a computerized refrigerator. if you have the programmers to rebuild the source to your needs Google will not say "No you cant make an android powered microwave oven."

for the iOS Microwave you would have to wait for the iNuke and pay an extra 700 bucks.

MS should not only license but they should target the enterprise market and wipe out Blackberry. I think it is safe to assume that most major corporations use Active Directory, MS could nuke and pave Blackberry with full integration into their server suites. It would give IT the control they want and have with BES but it would not be tied to the outage prone RIM Network so that if a server has a problem they only have their IT department to worry about and not RIM.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

1 edit
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I think the Google approach is good and bad. Good because it's out there on a wide variety of platforms. bad because the experience may be different from one type of device to the next type of device. Because hardware is different for each manufacturer. Where as Apple is basically the same old same old from the Iphone 4 to the 4s to the 5.

Well, Apple only puts out one phone at a time so there is no analogy. You don't have multiple devices out there running iOS. The do now sell two tablets, but they are essentially the same tablet with two different form factors.
If I buy, for example, a Galaxy SIII, the experience will be the same for all other SIII users I encounter. An HTC device is a different device, and to expect the experience to be identical is not realistic. It's a different device.
The good thing is that the experience across Android devices is very similar. Switching from different platforms is easy when they run Android. Switching from different platforms when you are moving to or from Apple is not so easy. So what we get with the Android ecosystem is the choice between disparate models or hardware vendors with having roughly 90%+ familiarity. And you get to bring your applications and data with you.
With Apple you get no choice, and if their single hardware decision doesn't suite you, you are forced to give up everything and start a-new in a completely new environment.
I like moving from my daughter's HTC, my Galaxy SIII, my wife's Motorola Droid, and our Nexus 7 without having to switch any major gears. This is a benefit of the open platform, not a problem.
There is a problem where the vendors like to build shitty interfaces to replace the quality stock interface so that they can "differentiate themselves in the market."
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
Dayton, OH
said by Maxo:

Well, Apple only puts out one phone at a time so there is no analogy. You don't have multiple devices out there running iOS. The do now sell two tablets, but they are essentially the same tablet with two different form factors.

I will agree on the tablet, however there are two models of the phone device for sale now at all times. Apple has moved to using the previous generation handset as a low price entry point into the iOS market

said by Maxo:

If I buy, for example, a Galaxy SIII, the experience will be the same for all other SIII users I encounter. An HTC device is a different device, and to expect the experience to be identical is not realistic. It's a different device.
The good thing is that the experience across Android devices is very similar. Switching from different platforms is easy when they run Android.

Again, true only to a point. If you switch between two phones that are of similar generations I agree, however if there is much more than a 1 generation gap between the two phones I've had friends and co-workers who had a heck of a time, especially in getting the Apps working.

said by Maxo:

I like moving from my daughter's HTC, my Galaxy SII, my wife's Motorola Droid, and our Nexus 7 without having to switch any major gears. This is a benefit of the open platform, not a problem.
There is a problem where the vendors like to build shitty interfaces to replace the quality stock interface so that they can "differentiate themselves in the market."

You've been lucky with this. I've seen people burned by applications that weren't compatible on a handset upgrade even though the Android OS version stayed the same.

I use both my iPhone 5 (personal) and my Droid Razr (work) on a daily basis and I can honestly say it would be very hard for me to consolidate to any one platform. There are things I like and dislike about both. Two things that scare me away from going full Android is 1) Not knowing if the handset will get OS updates, I've been lucky with the Razr, it got ICS and will get Jelly Bean. 2) Not knowing if apps would be fully compatible across handsets.
--
We don't give a d@mn for the whole state of Michigan... we're from OHIO! O!H! ... I!O!

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
I mostly agree with your points. The Android ecosystem is no Nirvana, but I believe that the fragmentation hell that people talk about is more myth than fact.
I have not run into app incompatibility issues across handsets. I'm curious what applications you had issues with.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
I would agree, would agree the only place I have really seen that is on very low end Android phones and tabs where that cut corners factor is to be expected.

Then again also seen some surprisingly good low end/cost 7" Android tabs that are very capable as long as you don't tax them too heavily.
(stick to one thing/task at a time)
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to GILXA1226
said by GILXA1226:

I will agree on the tablet, however there are two models of the phone device for sale now at all times. Apple has moved to using the previous generation handset as a low price entry point into the iOS market

And actually there is a third too.... the iTouch... the cameras have always been crap on compared to phones (and the first 3 didn't even have one.
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to FF4m3
iOS is all about the ecosystem. And honestly iOS is an amazing mobile OS from the view of the marketing department. Lure people in and then you have them and you know once they load up on apps there is a good chance you can sell them a tablet for $600 too, Since you know they would not blow coin on an android tablet and have to rebuy apps.

Android of course is more open and allows one to have a Samsung phone but still get the same apps on their Asus Tablet.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

jp0469
JP

join:2000-12-13
Rochester, MA
reply to FF4m3
I won't bother re-hashing here because I mostly agree with the great points that have already been made. I am an Android guy but I make it a point not to bash Apple products or dissuade others from going that route. To each their own and even more importantly, competition is great for us as consumers. I actually hope the Windows phone increases its market share in the smartphone arena. A solid "3-horse" race will only help to push innovation to higher levels. (Who knows, maybe even Blackberry can get back in the race)

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
Dayton, OH
reply to Maxo
said by Maxo:

I'm curious what applications you had issues with.

Mostly I remember them complain about games, but I do not recall all the apps they had issues with. I mostly ignored them, as if it didn't exist/work on my droid chances were good it did on my iPhone.
--