·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO

Re: Sacrificing functionality for simplicity

said by OZO:

said by darcilicious:

Is it the ribbon in Office apps?

Yep, it's just one of the examples. You have your client area occupied by menu, that should be accessed via the old and effective drop down menu approach. Windows Explorer is yet another example. E.g. big status bar in WE W7, that now shows much less useful data, than small line of text in similar program in WXP...

I just minimize the ribbon in Office and I rarely need the status area of Windows Explorer (which is also resizable up to a point)

Guess it's just not an issue for me. I do a medium amount of web development, create a ton of documents, use Outlook for email and as my primary task manager at work and I don't feel hindered at all.

Now I will say that SharePoint sucks but it seems to be a necessary evil at my current place of employment (and in one instance, it's actually a step up from the CMS it replaced, which is saying something!)

However, for the general use of the OS and the apps that I use, I much prefer W7 over XP.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

I rarely need the status area of Windows Explorer (which is also resizable up to a point)

Here you'll find screen shots I'm talking about. Look how efficiently (or may be not) Windows Explorer uses screen space in W7 vs WXP. And here you'll find discussion about efficiency on new WE design in W7 (here in particular).

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Click for full size
W7 status bar /
said by OZO:

said by darcilicious:

I rarely need the status area of Windows Explorer (which is also resizable up to a point)

Here you'll find screen shots I'm talking about. Look how efficiently (or may be not) Windows Explorer uses screen space in W7 vs WXP. And here you'll find discussion about efficiency on new WE design in W7 (here in particular).

From Computer, I like the status view in W7 much better than XP (Single disk selected, not sure why the caption messed up, sorry)