All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
pegcitynet
join:2009-09-02

pegcitynet to Ian1

to Ian1

Re: Moron on the highway

120 in the fast lane is very dangerous if people are trying to pass you. If there are faster moving vehicles, the safe thing to do is to move over and get out of the way. Don't tap your brakes, that is being rude, just move over.

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope

quote:
120 in the fast lane is very dangerous if people are trying to pass you. If there are faster moving vehicles, the safe thing to do is to move over and get out of the way. Don't tap your brakes, that is being rude, just move over.
No, actually when someone is tailgating it's a safety issue. Like Elwood, I'll tap my brakes every time.
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

analog andy to pegcitynet

to pegcitynet
said by pegcitynet:

I'm moving along at 120 with the traffic going 120, have my safety space and some retard thinks he's gonna try to squeeze in making me have hit my brakes I might as well cut them the fuck off.

If the fucker is tailgating me because he can't see in front of me and I'm again going with the traffic he's gonna heat my tail lights.

I don't try to do this too ofter but if there's enough space and the idiot in the back is tailgating I pretend to move over and just go half way though so they can see the for themselves what kinds of retard they are then I move back in to my lane. Works best with my lifted Bronco as most cars/trucks can't see past it and they thing I'm blocking traffic.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to Kitlope

Premium Member

to Kitlope
said by Kitlope:

No, actually when someone is tailgating it's a safety issue. Like Elwood, I'll tap my brakes every time.

So is taking one safety issue and compounding with it with another. Suppose he or she over-reacts to your "tapping" and that causes an accident?

If someone wants to pass you, and you're in the left-lane, even if they're tailgating, take a chill pill, move over, and let them.

Kitlope
Edmonton, Ab

2 edits

Kitlope

quote:
So is taking one safety issue and compounding with it with another. Suppose he or she over-reacts to your "tapping" and that causes an accident?

If someone wants to pass you, and you're in the left-lane, even if they're tailgating, take a chill pill, move over, and let them.

Now you're simply assuming the scenerio and my reaction (even though I said I would tap my brakes every time - it's not quite true. Bad wording on my part). I never said anything about being in the left lane. But, for the record, If I'm in the left lane and someone comes up behind me and there's room, I will move. I even try to do this ahead of time as to keep traffic flow unimpeded. I have no problems with that. If it's bottleneck traffic and I cannot move then there's no point in tailgating me and I WILL tap the brakes. I mean, where am I supposed to go? Speed up and drive over the car in front of me?

Usually though I'm in the right lane since I drive a grandpa car and like any decent driver uses the left lane to just pass. But as we both know even being in the right lane, when there's a traffic free left lane, doesn't stop the tailgaters. In many cases, even in the right slow lane, doing 10 over the speed limit it's not good enough for them and it's like I'm supposed to drive into the shoulder or the ditch to let them by. No, I will tap my brakes. Get the fuck over into your fast lane and don't try to egg me on to speed up so I can get the speeding ticket. You wanna be a douchebag, I'll be a douche right back. It's for your own good buddy because if I do have to slam on my brakes for whatever reason it will be YOUR fault rearending me.

It's like the guy that I know is gonna cut me off. I'll do what it takes to stop this from occuring, even if it means I'm now the asshole.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
+1
Driving is not like standing in a line, no one owns a 'spot' on the road.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by Kitlope:

The tailgater's fault, following too closely.

Kitlope
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope

quote:
The tailgater's fault, following to closely.

Exactly. Whatever happened to the 3 second rule?

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by Ian1:

said by Kitlope:

Tailgating IS dangerous. So is tapping the brakes when you have one on you. 2 wrongs.....and such.
analog andy
Surrey, BC

analog andy to Kitlope

to Kitlope
These days all it means is Oh look I got a spot I can get in front of that last car and then have to hit the brakes while I try not to hit the car in front of me because I need to pass the last car in the line.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by Ian1:

said by Kitlope:

I know of a case in the courts right now, where the tailgater is claiming "aggressive braking" as a cause of the accident in question.

Kitlope
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope

quote:
I know of a case in the courts right now, where the tailgater is claiming "aggressive braking" as a cause of the accident in question.

Thats where I draw the line. I'll tap the brakes but I don't actually try to slow down as I don't need my reliable 17 year old Buick written off. Regarding the court case you speak of, if the original guy wasn't tailgating the other guy wouldn't have had to "aggressively brake". I hope it's thrown out.
analog andy
Surrey, BC

analog andy to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

$500 gets them an aggressive nose job from a stranger on the street.

Kitlope
Edmonton, Ab

1 edit

Kitlope to Ian1

to Ian1
quote:
Tailgating IS dangerous. So is tapping the brakes when you have one on you. 2 wrongs.....and such.
So I'm supposed to just let him tailgate me and not do anything proactive to stop it? And risk writing off my car? I realize tapping on the brakes comes across as "rude" to the impatient tailgater but lets look at it this way... perhaps I'm just letting him know that I'm aware that he's behind me and I know he wants to get in front of me and when I get a chance I'll let the guy by.

Like I said, there's no point in riding my ass when I have no where to go. And those are the worst, other than the drivers that insist on driving slow in the left lane with 0 traffic on the highway. Why not drive slow in the right lane?

And just to add, I've been driving for 20 years and have not once got into an accident, whether my fault or not. I do usually drive defensively and try to think of the other driver and not to impede traffic flow. But we all make mistakes sometimes...

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Kitlope:

So I'm supposed to just let him tailgate me and not do anything proactive to stop it?

If it's a multi-lane road you move over to the right allow them to pass (to which, you shouldn't be in anything but the right lane unless you're already passing someone). If it's a two-lane highway with only one lane per direction of travel and they are unable or unwilling to use the other direction's lane to pass you, it is best to be the bigger man and pull over on the shoulder to allow that person to pass.

As much as everyone is guilty at some point of tapping the brake, it's really not a smart thing to do.
pegcitynet
join:2009-09-02

pegcitynet to Kitlope

to Kitlope
If you are obstructing traffic flow then you are equally responsible in creating the danger. Swallow your pride, move to the slow lane, and allow the traffic to pass you. It's not your prerogative to slow traffic down, that's the police's job. Move over, let the speedster get by, and chances are eventually he will get flagged and ticketed by law enforcement.

If you try to slow traffic down you make the highway more dangerous for everyone around you.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

that's why i got out of their way.

Kitlope
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope to pegcitynet

to pegcitynet
quote:
Swallow your pride, move to the slow lane, and allow the traffic to pass you
Like I said, I'm usually in the slow lane. And when I'm not I can't move because the other lane is full. And there's cars in front of me. Dozens of them. So I simply can't move over to allow the tailgater to get through.

Now tell me, what should I do? Levitate my car above traffic?