share rss forum feed

lineofsight

join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER

So long to Charter Direct, I guess

»Source: Charter Doing Away With Entire Social Media Department

Really going to miss getting problems resolved without having to put up with the "did you reboot the computer?" level of support that comes with the 1st phone call.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL
kudos:2

but, did you reboot the computer? It may not mean that the sources are going away, it may just mean that they will have phone repair answering questions and taking calls. I'm not totally sure though.

lineofsight

East Saint Louis, IL
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
reply to lineofsight

You can bet your boots that there will be the exact same levels of support on the phone that they have now. The level 1 people read from a script.
Recent call:
Me: The modem disconnects. All lights go out, then it re-syncs. A few minutes later, same thing again."
Charter Level 1: Do you have a wireless router?
Me: No.
Them: Did you reboot your computer?
Me: What does that have to do with my problem?

and on and on and on.

Of course I try everything before I call. I hate calling. I will do anything to avoid it.

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA

Same here... I will do anything to avoid calling them, and if I start having frequent problems and the only contact available is their telephone CSRs... I will be forced to see what the state of AT&T is in my neighborhood now.

This is the worst decision from the new regime... in my book. Charter Direct employees were drastically improving Charter's reputation, and this is the thanks they get.

jeffro

join:2007-04-20
Bay City, MI
reply to lineofsight

I benefited from Charter Direct as would anyone who has called them and dealt with the automated responses or the idiot CSRs reading a script. Piss poor on Charters part and just shows the disconnect between the money counters and the money givers.

nightshade74
Yet another genxer
Premium
join:2004-11-06
Prattville, AL

said by jeffro:

I benefited from Charter Direct as would anyone who has called them and dealt with the automated responses or the idiot CSRs reading a script.

I've never actually talked to a phone CSR. I've always always dealt with Eric's group. Heck I've signed up several relatives away from AT&T b/c I knew if they had problems the direct people would sort it out.

Personally if I hit a snag with phone support -- I'll just switch to Knology.

chaud
Serious Business

join:2004-07-09
Anderson, SC
reply to lineofsight

They were always helpful and much more useful than calling.

Sadly there is no other choice for fast internet here, so nothing to switch away to. I assume that is what they are counting on.

Premium
join:2012-06-11

I also was helped more than a few times by the excellent staff at
Umatter2Charter, and frankly it was probably the difference between my staying with Charter and going somewhere else.

I'm definitely going to call the Corporate Offices and voice my displeasure over this move.

Honestly I wish the shareholders would fire Tommy Boy Rutledge and his executive MANGLEMENT team and bring back the
FORMER CEO Mr. Mike Lovett and his executive management team.

Who agrees?

If I knew the contact address to the Charter BoD I would write them as well. Anyone know how to write them?

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
reply to lineofsight

Crushing news. I have not called charter in what seems a little over 2 years. I have always dealt with Charter online and all problems have been resolved. This makes me sad.

grimalkin74

join:2011-05-31
Morro Bay, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to lineofsight

I will say this much Steve, Jermey and crew, you guys helped me, TONS. The loss of your service will cost your company, much more than they realize. As for me, I'm just going to continue. A screw up,1 call to the phone guys, if they do not fix it. FCC here I come. I'm NOT relying on the phone crew for anything. Charter has in my eyes gutted what little support they had.

Premium

Mr. Burns is REAL!

Is Charter's CEO a relative of The Simpson's "Mr. Burns"? Perhaps.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAIW3iUViXg

iwinrar

join:2010-03-18
reply to lineofsight

Re: So long to Charter Direct, I guess

Beyond stupid of an idea. Good Job charter

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
reply to 15444104

said by 15444104:

I'm definitely going to call the Corporate Offices and voice my displeasure over this move.

Honestly I wish the shareholders would fire Tommy Boy Rutledge and his executive MANGLEMENT team and bring back the

Who agrees?

If I knew the contact address to the Charter BoD I would write them as well. Anyone know how to write them?

Sorry, I don't, but if I were computer savvy enough, I would start a petition at the link below, with a link posted here, inviting everyone who is upset over this decision to sign and register their feelings.

»www.change.org/

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to lineofsight

said by lineofsight:

Of course I try everything before I call.

And the person you're talking to knows this because...?
Support folks deal with people who can't find on/off switches with equipment and you expect them to treat you different than everyone when they first answer your call? What makes you special when a support person answers the phone when you call? There are people who are very technically ignorant who have an attitude of knowing everything when calling for help. How are support persons supposed to know you're not one of those dolts?

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
reply to lineofsight

I have no other internet option than Charter and pay $50.00 a month for the limited time I am home. Hate it.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to vaxvms

said by vaxvms:

said by lineofsight:

Support folks deal with people who can't find on/off switches with equipment and you expect them to treat you different than everyone when they first answer your call? What makes you special when a support person answers the phone when you call? There are people who are very technically ignorant who have an attitude of knowing everything when calling for help. How are support persons supposed to know you're not one of those dolts?

Couldn't have said that one any better than you just did!!

Although I despise calling Charter also, the few times I ever have, they did resolve the issue. I think I've only ever called them 3 or 4 times in like 15 years of having some kind of service through them. At least 2 of those times were simply to try and find out if there was any maintenance going on in my area while stuff was down. The other 1 or 2 times was simply to get a new modem online. So, as you can see, all my calls to Charter were so simple a monkey could've answered/fixed the the issue!!

Have to agree. This isn't quite the dumbest move Charter has made recently, but definitely a real bone head one!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

anon anon

@spcsdns.net
reply to 15444104

said by 15444104:

I also was helped more than a few times by the excellent staff at
Umatter2Charter, and frankly it was probably the difference between my staying with Charter and going somewhere else.

Who agrees?

Can't say this will definitely get it to the right place but it's worth a try. I know I'm going to write because this is ridiculous!

Address Information:
»phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml? c=112298&p=irol-contact
12405 Powerscourt Drive, St. Louis, MO 63131

Board of Directors:
»phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml? c=112298&p=irol-govboard

Investor Inquiries: Robin Gutzler | 314.543.2389 investor@chartercom.com

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to NightOwl2

said by NightOwl2:

I have no other internet option than Charter and pay $50.00 a month for the limited time I am home. Hate it.

Yeah, we all pay per month, regardless of whether or not we use it. I'm not currently aware of any use-based/pay as you go service.

lineofsight

East Saint Louis, IL
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER

1 edit
reply to vaxvms

said by vaxvms:

said by lineofsight:

Gee, somehow the Charter Direct people don't feel like they have to ask lame questions. I explain the problem, they got right to the issues that needed addressing.

And I never said there are not people who are don't have any idea what they are talking about. My Mom falls into that category.
Perhaps if you had actually read post #1 you would have a better understanding of my feelings about this upcoming change.

I said I hate having to go through that kindergarten level B.S.
I will miss not getting right to the point when I call.

GvilleDSL

join:2009-11-12
Greenville, SC
reply to lineofsight

/facepalm Charter

nightshade74
Yet another genxer
Premium
join:2004-11-06
Prattville, AL
reply to lineofsight

It made it to consumerist --
»consumerist.com/2012/12/06/chart···support/

bumpy

@charter.com
reply to GvilleDSL

you may hate that "did you reboot yet" comment but you wouldnt believe how many times ive taken a call...power cycled the modem....then computer and they were online. majority of people are idiots. i love when someone calls in with i have a masters in computers blah blah...then all i do it reboot and it works. makes my day

lineofsight

East Saint Louis, IL

I think you lost the point of my opening comment.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to lineofsight

Click for full size
This is the CSR troubleshooting chart.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:10
reply to lineofsight

I'm surprised no one's mentioned that it was just few years ago when they banned all employees from posting because they wanted to "maintain consistency" and "consolidate the information" on the site. Now that that "consolidated" information source is gone it sounds like there's no one left to help frustrated users...

/M

anon101

@charter.com
reply to vaxvms

It is very easy. When they answer the phone and you describe the problem you inform them. I know I have done this and when they just dont get it Ive always had to talk to a supervisor or higher for resolution. If charter wasnt the only one in town then I would switch in a heartbeat. I hate when they tell you we have to send a tech out and you have already informed them that the problem is at thier end. Yes, that has happened many times. Its just stupid.

Poetique

join:2007-08-05
Birmingham, AL
reply to lineofsight

I tell ya... some companies these days just seem to go out of their way to be as crappy as possible. Guess I'll have to entirely do my own troubleshooting henceforth >_

As far as I'm concerned they may as well had stated that Charter will no longer offer customer support. The only actual support I've EVER gotten has come from these forums.

Zappa2000

join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI
reply to bumpy

said by bumpy:

you may hate that "did you reboot yet" comment but you wouldnt believe how many times ive taken a call...power cycled the modem....then computer and they were online. majority of people are idiots. i love when someone calls in with i have a masters in computers blah blah...then all i do it reboot and it works. makes my day

And you wouldn't believe how many times that this has been said, when the issue was clearly something upstream, and no specific issues related to the modem or computer or router.

Right now, when you call in, it seems the automated system will reboot your modem for you, even if that isn't the issue.
IMO, this is better, then can scrap all the tier one support, since it was the same "advice" each and every time.
Now, if only we can hook up with someone who isn't reading from a script, things would be better.

Charter Direct was a huge positive for Charter, and them not seeing it, just shows you that they don't understand what customer support is.

Premium

said by

Charter Direct was a huge positive for Charter, and them not seeing it, just shows you that they don't understand what customer support is.

:

More likely the new CEO and his executive monkey troops
"don't care" about customer support, as long as they get your money.

I just hope that the shareholders sh*tcan them before it takes the company into yet another bankruptcy!

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17

Not likely...as long as the shareholders are happy.