beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer

Re: Getting New HSI Account in My Name

I know, but I used to be one of those techs that loved shutting down peoples scams to try and get around paying their bills by creating accounts in their kids names, pets, etc.

My favorite was a woman trying to open an account with her 6 month old daughters name and social. This was one job I was glad I verified with a photo ID.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by beachintech:

I know, but I used to be one of those techs that loved shutting down peoples scams to try and get around paying their bills by creating accounts in their kids names, pets, etc.

Makes me glad that for the most part I was only involved with commercial customers instead of residential customers. Although even in that environment you would get new installs scheduled for Xyzzy, LLC, and find out that it was the same business and local people that formerly operated Bedquilt, Inc. (from whom you had tried to remove equipment last month and found that the site was abandoned).

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

Yeah, at the end of my career with comcast, I was only commercial customers. They were more creative.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to beachintech

to beachintech
I had a woman call in for new service. She insisted the tenant had moved out and taken all the equipment. The *previous* tenant's account was severely delinquent. However, I had just talked with the tenant about 30 minutes earlier, who had hung up after realizing her service would not be restored w/o payment. And my Caller ID showed the *new* resident was calling from the same number on delinquent account. She also hung up after hearing about lease, proof of ID, etc.

An hour later a co-worker received a call from the same number and supposed new resident. (A male this time) My center documents, documents, and documents. No new service.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

I see a lot of people in here think it's unfair for Comcast to deny the son service even though he didn't do anything wrong. I've worked for several MSOs around the world and this is standard practice. A lot of customers abuse the system and sign up for services they can't afford and rack up massive amounts of debt that the MSO will never recover and then pass on the torch to other family members to repeat the cycle.

At one particular MSO I worked for, if you decided to break policy and activate for a family member of someone who is severely delinquent, we had a special team that monitors activities like this and has no qualms about proactively cancelling these accounts even if the service is already active and calling them up and telling them one.

This same MSO went as far as blacklisting addresses with a long history of debt write offs, and would refuse to activate service for anyone who ever lives at those address. If a new tenant moves into a blacklisted address, all frontline reps are BLOCKED from activating services at that address and need to submit the potential customers information to a special team that runs a very thorough investigation to ensure the new customer has good credit and is not related to any of the previous tenants.