MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

1 recommendation

nunya to cdru

MVM

to cdru

Re: The renovation continues ... today new 400 amp service!

It's because of the split service. Have you seen the price of the $400A transfer switch?

It probably would have been better to have two panels: essential circuits and non-essential circuits. Especially since they are right next to each other. Then he would have only needed one ATS.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by nunya:

It's because of the split service. Have you seen the price of the $400A transfer switch?

It probably would have been better to have two panels: essential circuits and non-essential circuits. Especially since they are right next to each other. Then he would have only needed one ATS.

The concrete pad and propane feed from the tank can support up to a 30-35 KW unit. If in the future, 20 KW is insufficient, swapping out a 20 for a 30 or 35 is a heck of a lot easier than rewiring, pouring new concrete and running new propane lines.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to nunya

MVM

to nunya
said by nunya:

No I didn't know the price of a 400 amp compared to two 200 amp. A real quick check I found a Generac 200 amp for $600 and Generac 400 amp for $1829. Slightly more than 3x the price, but you save some of the costs by not having twice the work to do. Plus a simpler setup. After factoring in everything, and considering this doesn't seem to be a super low end job, I just would have thought a single ATS would have been the way to go.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

1 edit

pandora to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
Here are some generator and propane tank pictures (with associated propane plumbing). The generator is not yet wired, but the propane is connected to it. It will be live within 2 weeks if all goes well. Without a battery it can't start (battery won't be installed until we are ready to go live with the unit).

My propane tank description seems redacted (after the post went up) the tank is 41" in circumference, 16' long and sits on a concrete pad 5' wide by 18' long.

The generator pad is oversized, and has underground cable to fit up to a 35 KW generator. We asked the propane folks to size the pipe to the generator to handle up to a 35 KW generator. The electric cable will also be sized for up to 35 KW when installed.