join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay

Re: EU mulls more flexible online copyright law

I think the real problem arises in what is defined as "fair use". Lately, some enforcers have taken the view that copying/using much beyond a single syllable is not fair use... and some users have taken the view that everything constitutes fair use, as long as you perhaps don't copy the punctuation in a title or something equally trivial.

As with so many similar impasses, common sense appears to be left out of the whole situation. Perhaps that's all the EU Commission is hoping for... but at the same time, common sense is so signally lacking in government agencies and commissions that whatever meets their approval will probably never pass an ordinary person's "common sense" sniff test.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

2 recommendations

I believe "common sense" is inversely proportional to the hourly rate the lawyers are being paid.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by StuartMW:

I believe "common sense" is inversely proportional to the hourly rate the lawyers are being paid.

And given the going hourly rate for litigators in these kinds of cases, that implies a pretty low 'common sense' result... very nearly approaching zero.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville