share rss forum feed

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

TSI West: New low Telus caps, you better roll out cable Marc

Telus is really delivering some new sh*tty low caps on to its subs, »www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/05···422.html . Telus always lets Bell look like the bad guy and then pulls the same BS. Marc, what has been the hold up on rolling out cable to the rest of AB & BC? I know you said you couldn't compete before, but it looks like you have fertile ground in the West now.

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

You probably know this yourself bbbc See Profile, but to ensure others understand. Telus is a DSL provider not a Cable provider. We already cover the Telus footprint. Shaw is the Cable provider & yes we do only cover the Vancouver area.

Martin

bbbc

NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

Martin, the point being is TSI only covers the Metro Vancouver cable market. Vancouver Island, Calgary, and Edmonton aren't covered.

You cover the Telus DSL footprint, but as you're aware, your prices and startup costs are pretty sh*tty on the copper side. Not throwing stones at you guys, as a fanboy, I want you to succeed in the West.

--

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
reply to bbbc

Let me guess, in this horseshit CRTC regulation that we have, Telus customers will not be allowed to break their Contracts?

alphaz18

join:2005-02-26
CANADA
reply to TSI Martin

I believe you completely misunderstand his point.
his point is why are you guys refusing to provide west shaw cable to everyone except metro Vancouver...
the market in ab at the very least is huge. and the shaw network has been available to you for quite sometime now..

NytOwl

join:2012-09-27
canada

I think that a big reason for this is that the greater the area where they offer services, the more customers they will have, and thus more calls they will receive.

Think about it.

TSI is already growing at a rapid rate, to the point where they're opening a new call center in Gatineau and training a bunch of people for a month to get more bodies on the phone to handle frequent high call volumes.

Can you imagine if they suddenly started offering services in all those additional markets? Their queues would jam so fast that it would increase customer frustration (along with stress levels among staff, I'm sure), which goes against the goal of expansion.

Growth for TSI has to happen gradually over time, so that they have the resources to hire & train additional staff as needed, as opposed to suddenly having to deal with one huge influx of call volume and customers jumping ship due to declining customer service quality.

"But they could just outsource some of their customer service and tech support operations to get more people on the phones quickly!", some of you may be thinking. Yes. They could. But there are still costs associated with that. And would you seriously prefer that? Really? Many customers would vehemently be against this practice (including myself).

I'm sure Marc has a goal to offer TSI services to more and more people, but it will take time to get there. Rushing too quickly would be to their own peril.

cognizantt

join:2009-06-13
Montreal, QC
reply to bbbc

one of the better points for TSI, to me, is how they use local people for all their support.
no one wants support coming from India ...

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to NytOwl

said by NytOwl:

Can you imagine if they suddenly started offering services in all those additional markets? Their queues would jam so fast that it would increase customer frustration (along with stress levels among staff, I'm sure), which goes against the goal of expansion.

Actually they already offer services in all the additional markets you are referring to. What everyone is questioning is why cable hasn't been added as an option in BC and AB outside of the GVR. It would give customers another option for access in addition to DSL that is currently offered through Telus infrastructure.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to bbbc

AT&T put their dsl service up for sale. End result no buyers at any price. Telus must be going coco-loco. This is the end of dsl and Telus decreases caps instead of increasing them?

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

said by ChuckcZar :

AT&T put their dsl service up for sale. End result no buyers at any price. Telus must be going coco-loco. This is the end of dsl and Telus decreases caps instead of increasing them?

Well this isn't the US and Telus isn't the first one to do this. Bell has decreased caps repeatedly in 2011 and 2012.

shrug

@videotron.ca

A beloved Telus customer. Moo
said by decx:

... Telus isn't the first one to do this. Bell has decreased caps repeatedly in 2011 and 2012.

So?
Does it make it right to cut usage almost in half and use their beloved customers as cash cows ripe for the milking?

I'm not sure what it is you are saying. Are you saying it's awesome because the most hated company in Canada, Bell, does it? Seems to me this is what you are saying.

But whatever, those who do use B/W and have an alternative won't be staying with telus. *shrug* It really doesn't matter.

But I'm sure Telus' marketing machine will create fantastic stats just like Bell did. Like how the average user uses only 2-gigs a month.

Maybe it's time for the so-called indie's to beef up marketing in the Telus areas they do serve? The sooner the better.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
reply to bbbc

read the article. Amazed at how much it irritates me.

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:6
reply to bbbc

If the caps quoted in the article are correct, I'd say that Telus is quite generous compared to Bell and Rogers.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to bbbc

Tell me how this applies to TSI?

Retail incumbent offers crappy caps to their subscriber...check

TSI wholesaler offers better caps to their subscribers...check

Where is the need for cable again? I know I know, I wanna go fast with Shaw because all the commercials tell me there are little robots inside the network that make it super fast...

Fact: Its "relatively" easy to offer cable to GVRD subscribers because of the close proximity of their Vancouver facilities....

Not so much outside of there...I could only imagine the cost of backhaul from Calgary back to Vancouver or vice versa....its probably just a matter of the capital cost is too high for TSI to run their equipment and facilities to their POI....

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to bbbc

Once again, the inherent conflicts arise.

Telus is a BDU, don't want folks getting their fix from anywhere else but them.

bbbc

NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to nitzguy

said by nitzguy :

TSI's price for DSL is quite sh*tty in AB & BC. Previously, Marc replied that he couldn't compete with the duopolies in the West. Telus ain't playin' with dirt cheap pricing and unofficial unlimited anymore. I guess Telus' IPTV has saturated the market, so they won't bribe people with $10 POTS and $10 broadband. Now there is a beneficial landscape to expand the cheaper Shaw TPIA offering.

--

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON

said by bbbc:

said by nitzguy :

TSI's price for DSL is quite sh*tty in AB & BC. Previously, Marc replied that he couldn't compete with the duopolies in the West. Telus ain't playin' with dirt cheap pricing and unofficial unlimited anymore. I guess Telus' IPTV has saturated the market, so they won't bribe people with $10 POTS and $10 broadband. Now there is a beneficial landscape to expand the cheaper Shaw TPIA offering.

Except the upfront capital cost of getting transit from Calgary back to Vancouver...I'm guessing they may not have the stomach for something like that....I'm sure its not cheap to get that part done or I'm sure they probably would have done it...its unfortunate but distance probably plays a role in this. The most "far flung" TSI POIs would be in the London area and that's about 250km from presumably Toronto where they connect back...Calgary to Vancouer is almost 4x as far as the car drives...

Its possible that he can't make a change....and I'm not familiar with any other TPIA in Shaw land out West....do the tariffs allow for a lot of money to be made?

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

said by nitzguy:

Except the upfront capital cost of getting transit from Calgary back to Vancouver...

Shouldn't Shaw be offering an aggregated POI by now? Or have they gotten off the hook so far on that one like Eastlink has?

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON

said by bt:

said by nitzguy:

Except the upfront capital cost of getting transit from Calgary back to Vancouver...

Shouldn't Shaw be offering an aggregated POI by now? Or have they gotten off the hook so far on that one like Eastlink has?

I haven't checked but if they did they'd probably offer it in Calgary since that's where their head office is....which would still make life difficult for TSI unfortunately .

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3
reply to bbbc

I doubt backhaul is the issue. Backhaul is dirt cheap. The real costs would be what shaw charges to use their aggregate POI and the bandwidth across it.
--
Broadline Networks Inc.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26
reply to bbbc

I can have another look in the new year..

Our costs are the same though, what we have there now is based on those costs to us. We should already be better in comparison to what we were.

For Cable, we'll be looking into that but I'll have to see more uptake on the current footprint before committing anything more. Especially since the new Agg-TPIA actually has more POIs than the diss-agg did. Go figure :\
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

kylez

join:2009-03-26

Are you guys looking to match Telus's new plan (50/10) with DSL? or are you staying at 25/2 (Telus is 25/3) for the time being?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

There are a number of new speed tiers with various incumbents that we need to fix up. The hope would be to get a UBB CRTC decision soon so we dont come out with a bunch of rates and then have to do it all over again. Given we're headed into the holiday season, I dont expect we'll get to this until the new year.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to shrug

said by shrug :

said by decx:

... Telus isn't the first one to do this. Bell has decreased caps repeatedly in 2011 and 2012.

So?
Does it make it right to cut usage almost in half and use their beloved customers as cash cows ripe for the milking?

I was just stating why Telus can do it while AT&T is getting rid of DSL only regions. You really should read previous posts before posting.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to bbbc

said by bbbc:

said by nitzguy :

If TSI can resell the current cable packages to the rest of AB and BC it would be quite competitive (except for the startup fees). The only places that TSI would be at a significant disadvantage is in places like downtown Vancouver where multiple broadband providers resulted in significant discounting of packages.

spock

join:2012-07-08
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to bbbc

said by bbbc:

said by nitzguy :

I have to totally disagree with you bbbc.

TSI prices for internet in the west are pretty good.

bbbc

NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

said by spock :

Disagree all you want, but for a general home end-user that gets off on bundles and isn't considered a bandwidth mooch (duopoly speak), TSI West DSL is pretty expensive. Having to stomach hundreds to install a basic service blows. Mind you, I pay for my crap upfront, like mobile phones, but the rest of the public are subsidy whores. Too bad that the existing Metro Van / GVR footprint isn't bringing in the expected bucks.

Did Marc or R0CKY have to sell one or both of their souls to Cogeco to afford the cable expansion in their neck of the woods?

--

bbbc

NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to bbbc

said by Merovingian :

R0CKY isn't the face of TSI anymore. He's moved on to other ventures in real estate and insurance. Search DSLr to get up to speed.

No sh*t Sherlock. I believe R0CKY was around during the Cogeco launch, but I could be in error. My point was that Cogeco put the bros (one or both for the anal) through grief for such a dinky footprint.

--

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
reply to spock

said by spock:

said by bbbc:

said by nitzguy :

+1. Compared to the East they are pretty freakin amazing.

My parents who don't need lots of usage/bandwidth/consumption but appreciate the speed when they need it (they have a 6mbps profile) they pay $29.99/month + tax for a total of $33.89/month after taxes, they get 75GB.

The equivalent on west is the same price, and for unlimited its only $5/month more...so for those who aren't considered bandwidth mooch, its the same price so I don't understand your thinking here bbbc.

I won't compare cable in this instance because they're in an area where there's no service...and they haven't complained about the speed or the price, they had me $40/month (2x$20) and I take care of the rest, and they're more than happy to pay a $40/month pricepoint for their service...they've never said to me "that's too much, we want it cheaper"...

So I don't understand, with basically mirroring pricing in that of "The East DSL", I just don't understand where this is coming from.

Onetwo

join:2009-04-14
Medicine Hat, AB
reply to TSI Marc

Never really visit this forum much, but as a current telus customer I would probably leave telus in seconds if you could come close to matching their turbo 50 plan they just rolled out.