spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ignorant

@comcastbusiness.net

Win 8 v Win 7 for multi-core processors?

OK, so I bought an AMD FX-8120 system on Black Friday, and was educated on the "AMD v I-core" discussion on the drawbacks of the chip. Nevertheless, I decided to proceed with the purchase because the system should be still be an evolutionary upgrade over my 4 yo T4200 based laptop, and the Black Friday deals knocked about $75-80 off the total price of the system, and I'm already pushing my budget.

That said, I'm wondering about the operating system. I ordered the Windows 7 OS because it will be more familiar, and I'm always leery about going with a new OS; but my reading suggest that Windows 8 will have better multi-core optimization. Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I switch to Windows 8 as soon as I can manage it? Thanks in advance.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

I've heard Windows 8 is friendlier to multicore CPUs, but not seen any firm comparisons between them. For games, you probably want to stick with Win7 for the next 8-12 months.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

said by Krisnatharok:

I've heard Windows 8 is friendlier to multicore CPUs, but not seen any firm comparisons between them. For games, you probably want to stick with Win7 for the next 8-12 years.

FTFY

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
reply to Ignorant

Win8's scheduler is suppose to be better for Bulldozer but it looks like the Win7 hotfix is good enough.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Ignorant

Switching to Windows 8 or not is up to you. I will point out one thing though:

Omitting the 32bit limitation of ~4GB system RAM and only looking at 64bit version of Windows:

Windows 7 Ultimate - 192 GB
Windows 7 Enterprise - 192 GB
Windows 7 Professional - 192 GB
Windows 7 Home Premium - 16 GB
Windows 7 Home Basic - 8 GB
Windows 7 Starter - 2 GB

Windows 8 Enterprise - 512GB
Windows 8 Professional - 512GB
Windows 8 - 128GB

I think that's accurate.

Still, a lot of people will say, who needs 16GB or more of RAM,....!?! As most will likely have Windows 7 Home Premium,...

I would say "fair enough" and leave it to the individual. However, I would also add "who wants to have such limitations if they need the RAM or not,....!?!".

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
reply to Ignorant

FWIW,

I upgraded my hardware to the following:

-AMD FX-8350
-ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+
-COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 CPU Cooler
-(2)GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition Crossfire
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

When I got around to put them together, I could not find my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. Bummer. Sure, I could have ordered another copy online only but I didn't want to wait.
So, I stopped by the local office supply and picked up a copy of Windows 8 Pro.
The install went easier than I anticipated. However, I was shocked, yes! seriously shocked, at all the new things I had to learn.
One thing I can say is.. I have not had any issues with games I have played.

BTW, I have been shopping for a good HTPC case and I have found a beautiful ATX case. But it is missing an external 5.25 drive bay for an optical drive.
It is the Fractal Design Node 605.
I have emailed the company asking for a version of this case with an optical drive bay for a bluray burner. So, if you have nothing to do, could you email the company asking for a 5.25 external drive bay also? LOL
--
Oh, praise the one who paid my debt;
And raised this life up from the dead.

mythology
Premium
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC
reply to Ignorant

Win 7. The performance difference doesnt really justify using windows 8 for anything other than a coaster.

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Ignorant

I tried Windows 8 for 2-3 months and switched back to Windows 7 last week.

For gaming and performances it feels pretty much the same as Windows 7.

Booting is quite faster in Windows 8.

One of the only problem for me was the new interface. I was pretty much getting used to it.

What made me switch back to Windows 7 is that I had to install unsigned driver and couldn't figure it out. They changed some more stuff about drivers in Windows 8...