Nagilum
Premium
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to The Mongoose

Re: Copyright Law Changes: VPN & Other Experiences

VPN Tunnel is a Sweeden-based VPN provider. They keep zero logs on their Swedish servers and use dynamically assigned outgoing IP addresses. They offer both 128 bit PPTP and OpenVPN with 2048 bit blowfish encryption.

»www.vpntunnel.com

They just redid their website, it's not quite as informative as their old page.
--
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore, 1993

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
I run a small VPN and other hosting services company. I have some servers in the US and I do make sure that not logs are kept, however I do get DMCA notices at times because of torrents that my users have. I usually get the notices directly from the company working for the studios or get them passed on to me from my provider. The IP block I have is assigned to me with the abuse e-mail address.

I typically get 1 notice every 3-4 months and for the most part it's been on public trackers and I work/inform my users that they should try and stick to private ones.

When I get a notice I respond saying I've disabled the user but really all I do is notify the user to stop the specific torrent and suggest not to use the tracker again.

The notices basically just want a confirmation that it's going to stop and I make sure it does, as long as I stop it and respond to them there is no legal issue (even in the US).

Technically tho, while no logs are kept, there's nothing stopping the FBI or whatever to physically go to the datacenter and gain access to it and setup their own logging. In my case it would be almost impossible since I have encrypted drives, but a man in the middle or VPN interceptor could be setup (this would take a lot of work for small torrenting).

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
said by jmck:

I run a small VPN and other hosting services company. I have some servers in the US and I do make sure that not logs are kept, however I do get DMCA notices at times because of torrents that my users have. I usually get the notices directly from the company working for the studios or get them passed on to me from my provider. The IP block I have is assigned to me with the abuse e-mail address.

I typically get 1 notice every 3-4 months and for the most part it's been on public trackers and I work/inform my users that they should try and stick to private ones.

When I get a notice I respond saying I've disabled the user but really all I do is notify the user to stop the specific torrent and suggest not to use the tracker again.

The notices basically just want a confirmation that it's going to stop and I make sure it does, as long as I stop it and respond to them there is no legal issue (even in the US).

Technically tho, while no logs are kept, there's nothing stopping the FBI or whatever to physically go to the datacenter and gain access to it and setup their own logging. In my case it would be almost impossible since I have encrypted drives, but a man in the middle or VPN interceptor could be setup (this would take a lot of work for small torrenting).

If no logs are kept, how do you know which user downloaded the data in question?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

said by motoracer See Profile
If no logs are kept, how do you know which user downloaded the data in question?

I only have a dozen users so i BCC them in an e-mail when I get a notice.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by jmck:

said by motoracer See Profile

I only have a dozen users so i BCC them in an e-mail when I get a notice.

Is *that* e-mail encrypted?
If not then DPI on your IP can read the mail, it's content, and scarf up the addressee's and put 2+2 together.