telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Siobhan

MVM

to Siobhan

Re: Getting 305/65

As the Comcast press release about it (»www.comcast.com/About/Pr ··· RID=1218 ) said:
The comprehensive Extreme 305 package is being offered across Comcasts Northeast division, which includes major markets such as Boston, Hartford, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Wilmington, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Richmond, and New Jersey.
I don't think they will be expanding outside that area anytime soon, unless some major FTTH competitor (like Verizon's FiOS) suddenly pops up somewhere else.
Siobhan
join:2008-03-30
Houston, TX

Siobhan

said by telcodad:

I don't think they will be expanding outside that area anytime soon, unless some major FTTH competitor (like Verizon's FiOS) suddenly pops up somewhere else.

That assumes the move is purely reactionary... why not offer this everywhere they could technically do so? Seems like a cash cow to me...

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Siobhan:

said by telcodad:

That assumes the move is purely reactionary... why not offer this everywhere they could technically do so? Seems like a cash cow to me...

Actually, the Extreme 305 tier was quickly offered in response to Verizon's FiOS "Quantum" speed upgrades in the Northeast. As the Light Reading Cable article (»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable) on it said:
Essentially, Comcast is fighting fiber with fiber. It's utilizing a business-class platform to deliver a high-end residential service as it tries to discover what sort of demand there is for an uncapped 300Mbit/s product that currently sells for US$300 per month. And, according to this statement from Comcast spokesman Charlie Douglas, it appears that Comcast will use the fiber-based approach as a placeholder for very high-capacity residential broadband services until it makes business sense for the MSO to make significant changes to its Docsis platform.
Siobhan
join:2008-03-30
Houston, TX

Siobhan

said by telcodad:

said by Siobhan:

said by telcodad:

Actually, the Extreme 305 tier was quickly offered in response to Verizon's FiOS "Quantum" speed upgrades in the Northeast. As the Light Reading Cable article (»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable) on it said:
Essentially, Comcast is fighting fiber with fiber. It's utilizing a business-class platform to deliver a high-end residential service as it tries to discover what sort of demand there is for an uncapped 300Mbit/s product that currently sells for US$300 per month. And, according to this statement from Comcast spokesman Charlie Douglas, it appears that Comcast will use the fiber-based approach as a placeholder for very high-capacity residential broadband services until it makes business sense for the MSO to make significant changes to its Docsis platform.

Well, there you go. Sucks.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
Ironic we have to wait for a competitor to get their act together before Comcast offers anything. God forbid it's the other way around.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

Thats not fair. Just because speeds arent going up exponentially, doesnt mean that they arent improving. I think that CC, for as big as they are, had done some of the best work as far as improving speeds. As little at 6 years ago, we were at 1.5mb, now its at a 25mb tier, for $9 more per month.

Even in areas that doesnt offer FiOS, they are still offering 50 and 100mbit tiers.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

2 recommendations

SpaethCo to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Ironic we have to wait for a competitor to get their act together before Comcast offers anything. God forbid it's the other way around.

You mean like when Verizon started the whole FiOS project to combat cable stealing all their DSL customers because speeds were so much higher on the newly-deployed HFC plant?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by SpaethCo:

said by Mike Wolf:

You mean like when Verizon started the whole FiOS project to combat cable stealing all their DSL customers because speeds were so much higher on the newly-deployed HFC plant?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to SpaethCo

to SpaethCo
I was referring to modern times. Such as when Verizon started with their 300Mbps speed tiers and Comcast reacted with their own speed bumps. Or when most if not all other cable and FiOS and satellite providers started allowing customers to stream live television and recorded shows from the DVR's to their smartphones and tablets and laptops over the internet and Comcast has yet to nationwide.