Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..

[Northeast] which type of cabling should i use for ONT to Router

I am in Elmhurst, and recently signed up for FiOS tripleplay.
My install is total coax. However, I would like to convert the data from Coax to Ethernet.

The ONT is located right outside my house (private house) next to a ground water pipe.
I will have to drill a hole through an arbitrary room to accomplish this but my main question is what type of ethernet cable should I use? Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6 ? Shielded/Un-Shielded? WaterProof & UV protected? There are way too many options...

I have a gigabit router which runs openwrt. buffalo wzr-hp-ag300h.

As this is in NYC, we get snow/rain/hot weather/storms, etc so I want to be prepared so I am going to do this wiring ONCE and for all.

Please advise?
Thanks.

C
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

rollinraver

join:2002-04-27
Buffalo, NY

Re: [Northeast] which type of cabling should i use for ONT to Ro

Cat 5e at minimum, shielded, uv ONLY if in direct sun at any point of the day.

I'd splurge and future proof with all the bells and whistles... Cat 6, uv, shielded, etc.,

Just my 2 cents.

But definitely cat 5e at minimum, with some sort of outdoor protection.

brianmcd
Premium
join:2000-09-06
Norristown, PA
reply to cchhat01

Since you have the Triple Play you will still need the Verizon Supplied Router, which can be installed via Coax.

Why not connect your Gigabit Router to the Verizon Router with a Lan to Lan Connection and use it for all of your internal devices.

There is a FAQ in this forum that explains how to do this.

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY

You mean method #6 or #7? where my router is the main router and the verizon router sits behind my router... I will still need them to enable Ethernet port on the ONT, I prefer my router be the primary router