Search similar:

uniqs

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Because walking 400m with your kid is -just- too far.

Tech geek & not so devoted father has constructed a remote controlled surveillance device so he doesn't have to walk his son 400m down hill to the bus stop each day.

"On school-day mornings, I walk my grade-school-age son 400 metres down the hill to the bus stop. Last winter, I fantasized about sitting at my computer while a camera-equipped drone followed him overhead," wrote Wallich. "So this year, I set out to build one."http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/11/geek-dad-builds-helicopter-to-follow-his-son-to-the-bus-stop.html

Needless to say I feel that if you are going to go through the effort of having a child, spending some time with them should be a priority. One wonders if his next project will be building an A.I. program that provides a male role model for his son which will free up more of his own time to play WoW.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Um, the man built a self-propelled drone that is capable of following a child around and transmitting video back to the control station.

Tell me, when have you ever built something so elaborate or - dare I say - so cool?

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

»www.draganfly.com/uav-he ··· lyer-x6/

Same thing only commercialized - Already in use by various police forces.

1080P HD cam or why not go with FLIR?
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

Um, the man built a self-propelled drone that is capable of following a child around and transmitting video back to the control station.

Tell me, when have you ever built something so elaborate or - dare I say - so cool?

It may be elaborate but definitely not cool.

The man should take the 15 minutes to walk down to the bus stop and walk back. Probably the best 15 minutes he could ever spend with his kid.

And really... what is this helicopter drone going to do if someone kidnaps the kid? Shoot the person?

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
It's cool but really this dork needs to get our and get some fresh air with his kid.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Robrr

Premium Member

to Robrr
said by Robrr:

It may be elaborate but definitely not cool.

The guy who built this is an editor at IEEE Spectrum. I think it's safe to say that this has more to do with building something cool (just like there are people who build furniture or build cars) rather than being too lazy to walk his kid down the driveway.
Robrr

Robrr

His quote sums it up nicely
quote:
Last winter, I fantasized about sitting at my computer while a camera-equipped drone followed him overhead," wrote Wallich.
Lazy! Plain and simple.

Dones
join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

Dones to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

That thing is sick! If I had $25,000 to spend on something I don't need, I'd get that.
HoboJ
join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON

HoboJ to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

The guy who built this is an editor at IEEE Spectrum. I think it's safe to say that this has more to do with building something cool (just like there are people who build furniture or build cars) rather than being too lazy to walk his kid down the driveway.

This. It's sad that everyone here has overreacted to the extreme because one inclined gentleman did something awesome. I bet his kid is going to get to learn and build a lot of very cool gadgets and toys that most kids only dream about when he's older.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Robrr

Premium Member

to Robrr
said by Robrr:

His quote sums it up nicely

He's the editor of an online technical magazine. He built something and then wrote a piece about what he did, using whatever creative license he felt would make his piece more interesting to readers. That's all there is to it. Beyond that, any allusions to his lazyness or his worth as a human being is nothing but unsubstantiated conjecture from people who may not fully grasp the context for which the comment was made and the publication for which it was first published in.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Given the sheer scale of idea conception, design, part accrual, construction, programming, testing, and deployment. I'd hardly call the author lazy.
Expand your moderator at work

american
@videotron.ca

american to Gone

Anon

to Gone

Re: Because walking 400m with your kid is -just- too far.

said by Gone:

I think it's safe to say that this has more to do with building something cool ...

Well, this american guy didn't really build it.

He bought the "quadrocopter kit and attached a smartphone with a video chatting app enabled." The open source app already has GPS tracking so all he did was put a GPS beacon on his kid.

Anyone can do this, if you buy the quadrocopter kit. There are some on Amazon for under ~200-250$.
american

american to I_H8_Spam

Anon

to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

Given the sheer scale of idea conception, design, part accrual, construction, programming, testing, and deployment. I'd hardly call the author lazy.

Lazy is right. It's a bought kit.
Just the GPS beacon wasn't part of the kit.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to american

Premium Member

to american
What does his nationality have to do with any of this?

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

It's funny though. People go out of their way to be lazy, even if it involves more work. lol

I think this is cool. I'm actually getting a Parrot AR Drone 2.0 soon.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to Thane_Bitter

MVM

to Thane_Bitter
A better question is why the frak is this guy following his kid to the bus stop anyhow? Talk about paranoid overprotection. Wrap the kid in bubblewrap while you're at it. I feel really bad for this kid and all the crap he's going to have to deal with growing up with that kind of parent.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

1 recommendation

koira to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
literally a helicopter parent
Robrr

Robrr to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

A better question is why the frak is this guy following his kid to the bus stop anyhow? Talk about paranoid overprotection. Wrap the kid in bubblewrap while you're at it. I feel really bad for this kid and all the crap he's going to have to deal with growing up with that kind of parent.

Here is a question for you: Do you consider it paranoid over protection to have the dad walk down to the bus stop?

Personally I don't think it is over protective for the dad to walk to the bus stop any more than it is for him to use this helicopter.

The unfortunate difference is that the father has now elected to just stay home rather than walk.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

1 recommendation

Wolfie00 to Robrr

Premium Member

to Robrr
said by Robrr:

The man should take the 15 minutes to walk down to the bus stop and walk back. Probably the best 15 minutes he could ever spend with his kid.

If you think walking a child to the bus stop is "the best 15 minutes he could ever spend with him", I'm sure glad I'm not your kid!

The guy built one of the world's neatest toys and for some reason some feel the need for sanctimonious moralizing.

Here's my idea of spending quality time with your kid: spend the afternoon flying your own personal camera-equipped drone.
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
Thats great, so now he can actually watch as his kid is abducted. BRILLIANT!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to Robrr

MVM

to Robrr
said by Robrr:

Here is a question for you: Do you consider it paranoid over protection to have the dad walk down to the bus stop?

Yes. That's the whole point.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
I'm with you and Robrr See Profile on this one. This isn't anything that a technically inclined person couldn't do with $300 laying around. If he's that concerned about the kids safety, do the 0.8KM return trip, it's not that far.

Now, I do like the story of the father and son that bought a giant weather balloon and hooked up their iPhone to it to get to the limits of our horizon, a quick little look into outer space until the balloon popped. Now, that was a good one..simple, but very nice.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Dones

Premium Member

to Dones
said by Dones:

said by I_H8_Spam:

That thing is sick! If I had $25,000 to spend on something I don't need, I'd get that.

no need to spend that much...i don't know how much this is, but i can imagine it is likely "only" several hundred dollars for his set up.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· zU5bNcaQ
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0 to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

said by I_H8_Spam:

It's funny though. People go out of their way to be lazy, even if it involves more work. lol

I think this is cool. I'm actually getting a Parrot AR Drone 2.0 soon.

these are cool too:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· EBkj_3PY

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

You mean bought off the shelf parts and assembled as such?

Gone, not trying to bash his technical skill set but hardly something new or original, there are many quad-copters out there and this was more of an assembly project. I would have been impressed if he actually designed it and made it himself, all of it; in short he built a Heath-Kit.

My point, I am just disgusted that he would rather sit at home then spend time with his kid. Hell that project it would have made a good Father-Son project, a teaching experience as well as bonding experience.

In short he should be less of a child himself and be a parent a bit more.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

pnjunction to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
When I was a kid we walked at least 400m to and from the bus stop unsupervised.

And if we missed the bus by the time we got there, we walked another 10km to school because even in -40C weather that was preferable to going home and telling my mom we missed the bus.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to Thane_Bitter

MVM

to Thane_Bitter
I walked about 800m to school unsupervised when I was in elementary school... Following him to the bus stop in the mornings, be it in person or with a drone, is ridiculous.
Expand your moderator at work