spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TakeOffEh

@teksavvy.com
reply to kimks3

Re: [Cable] Connection grinds to a halt when uploading...

kimks3

join:2012-12-01
Richmond Hill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Please read the post before responding. This occurs even when the upload speed is capped at 10KB/s. It is not due to the upstream becoming saturated and affecting the download speeds.

As an example, I can be downloading a file at 1MB/s, and if I unpause my Dropbox sync, the file download speed slowly drops to ~20KB/s. This happens even if I have Dropbox upload limited to 10KB/s.
My router shows that the traffic through the WAN port at this point is 20KB/s in and 10KB/s out. A far cry from the 2.25MB/s down and 64KB/s up advertised.

I've never experienced anything like this before, with either DSL or cable.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by kimks3:

Please read the post before responding. This occurs even when the upload speed is capped at 10KB/s. It is not due to the upstream becoming saturated and affecting the download speeds.

As an example, I can be downloading a file at 1MB/s, and if I unpause my Dropbox sync, the file download speed slowly drops to ~20KB/s. This happens even if I have Dropbox upload limited to

I don't know what is wrong but it sounds like there is something seriously wrong with your connection beyond how bad cable (and ADSL2+) usually is.

kimks3

join:2012-12-01
Richmond Hill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Looks like I will have to call in to have this looked at. It's impossible to use the internet with anything uploading relatively large files (file sync, P2P, cloud backup...)
I know cable is pretty bad, but there is no way it is normally *this* bad.

If any TSI staff can give me some insight in the morning, I would appreciate it.

TakeOffEh

@teksavvy.com
reply to kimks3
According to your speed tests, you *are* coming close to maxing out your upload. You're only getting .39 mbits to start in the first test, and dropping to .13 mbits when uploading at 10KB/s-20KB/s.

Which explains your upload being killed. Your acknowledgements are getting starved out due to the little remaining upstream bandwidth, for some unknown reason.

I might have suggested disconnecting any other devices from the router, because I once had a system infected with malware that choked an entire LAN as long as it was connected to the router. But since you say you've been getting the same speeds directly connected to the modem, that couldn't be a factor.

As brad said, there's definitely something else wrong then. Which is strange, because your modem stats look good.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to kimks3
said by kimks3:

As an example, I can be downloading a file at 1MB/s, and if I unpause my Dropbox sync, the file download speed slowly drops to ~20KB/s. This happens even if I have Dropbox upload limited to

Have you had any speedtests that max out the upload? I noticed the ones you posted don't seem to. Have you tried connecting without the router?

FWIW I have a 28/1 connection. I ended up having to replace my router as it couldn't handle the higher speeds esp with QOS turned on and then install tomato on the new router to get proper QOS. Surprising to me, I found without QOS using anything more than about 25% upload capacity caused issues with my VOIP.

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by graniterock:

FWIW I have a 28/1 connection. I ended up having to replace my router as it couldn't handle the higher speeds esp with QOS turned on and then install tomato on the new router to get proper QOS. Surprising to me, I found without QOS using anything more than about 25% upload capacity caused issues with my VOIP.

The prioritization part of QoS helps VOIP a lot. Normally a router sends packets in the same order they were received. So a VOIP packet arriving after several large dropbox upload packets would have to wait. With prioritization the VOIP packet gets sent first.