Donut
join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI
·Comcast XFINITY
Netgear CM1000
Synology RT2600ac

Donut

Poor picture quality

Ok as some of you know (»[DTA] Guide Shows to be anounced) I recently replaced a splitter because of a signal issue. Seems it may not be all fixed. My box does get guide info and has access to On Demand. But I see freezing picture and some times pixlation. The DTA's we have on the same splitter some times loose channels. Heres a run down:

We got a 2 Way splitter coming from Comcast. One side for modem on side goes to the main TV 4 way TV splitter, 2 TVs on that one part has a terminator installed and one goes to 3 way splitter upstairs in attic.

I checked the signal coming to my box and it says fair. So do you think we need a Amplifier between the Main TV splitter and the Upstairs Splitter? Also I know for a fact that the wire going up stairs is 20 years old and so was the splitter I replaced. Im guessing RG59. Could maybe the ends on the cable went bad?

I would normally call Comcast but the last guy I talked to said it was the Node. He said those boxes were having issues with the node and that they were fixing it, but when we have the same model box working on another TV, yeh I dont trust Comcast support too much.

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr

Anon

said by Donut:

Ok as some of you know (»[DTA] Guide Shows to be anounced) I recently replaced a splitter because of a signal issue. Seems it may not be all fixed. My box does get guide info and has access to On Demand. But I see freezing picture and some times pixlation. The DTA's we have on the same splitter some times loose channels. Heres a run down:

We got a 2 Way splitter coming from Comcast. One side for modem on side goes to the main TV 4 way TV splitter, 2 TVs on that one part has a terminator installed and one goes to 3 way splitter upstairs in attic.

For the love of god why. Get your house rewired to a home run with ONE splitter point. In the mean time, change the second splitter from a 4 way to a 2 way and gain 3.5 db back on all your tv's. No reason to have 2 terminated ports you still lose 7dB.

I checked the signal coming to my box and it says fair. So do you think we need a Amplifier between the Main TV splitter and the Upstairs Splitter? Also I know for a fact that the wire going up stairs is 20 years old and so was the splitter I replaced. Im guessing RG59. Could maybe the ends on the cable went bad?

It may help to get them fixed for sure, but you have way too much passive loss for digital cable, You need to reconfigure your splitter set up and maybe even then get an amplifier.

Donut
Romulus, MI
·Comcast XFINITY
Netgear CM1000
Synology RT2600ac

Donut

First of all we only got one place terminated. So if I'm reading this correctly I should put a 3 way where the 4 way is so I can connect the 2 down stairs TVs and then the line ran up to the second floor.

My parents won't let Comcast drill holes in the siding so yeh can't really have them do the work. Plus the attic where the 3rd splitter is, is small as hell. I dought me or him could get our fat asses in there. We can't replace the current line because there probly is no room.

Just to put it in perspective the first and second splitters are in the basement while the third is up in the attic. When he put the line upstairs he had the wall tore out, they have no plans of doing this.

That's why I'm looking in to a sling box for me. Just so I can watch the little TV I do watch. Me wireless network works.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad to Donut

MVM

to Donut
said by Donut:

Ok as some of you know (»[DTA] Guide Shows to be anounced) I recently replaced a splitter because of a signal issue. Seems it may not be all fixed. My box does get guide info and has access to On Demand. But I see freezing picture and some times pixelation. The DTA's we have on the same splitter some times loose channels. Here's a run down:

I would bet that your remaining issues are due to that 20-year-old RG-59 coax/connectors and/or with the 3-way splitter in your attic space.
said by Donut:

I would normally call Comcast but the last guy I talked to said it was the Node. He said those boxes were having issues with the node and that they were fixing it, but when we have the same model box working on another TV, yeh I dont trust Comcast support too much.

That "last guy" you spoke to who mentioned the node may be alluding to a low-signal issue coming into your home. If/when they fix that, your problem may then be resolved.
said by Donut:

First of all we only got one place terminated. So if I'm reading this correctly I should put a 3 way where the 4 way is so I can connect the 2 down stairs TVs and then the line ran up to the second floor.

If you replace the 4-way splitter with a high-quality, unbalanced 3-way one (like the Antronix CMC2003H: »www.amazon.com/ANTRONIX- ··· 01E4T3YK), and connect the lines to the 2 "downstairs" TVs to that splitter's two -7dB outputs and connect the line that runs up to the 2nd floor to the lower-loss -3.5dB output, you may get enough signal to the problematic boxes.
said by Donut:

My parents won't let Comcast drill holes in the siding so yeh can't really have them do the work. Plus the attic where the 3rd splitter is, is small as hell. I doubt me or him could get our fat asses in there. We can't replace the current line because there probably is no room.

Just to put it in perspective the first and second splitters are in the basement while the third is up in the attic. When he put the line upstairs he had the wall tore out, they have no plans of doing this.

If changing out the 4-way splitter as detailed above still doesn't resolve all the issues, you could finally try adding a good quality low-gain amp (like this one: »www.motorola.com/web/Bus ··· 01-a.pdf »www.amazon.com/Motorola- ··· 0122FCRG) after the first 2-way splitter on the TVs side (you don't want it in line with the modem) and see if that will overcome the losses in that old RG-59 coax and/or the 3-way splitter in the attic space.

Donut
Romulus, MI
·Comcast XFINITY
Netgear CM1000
Synology RT2600ac

Donut

Well my mom told me that she needed to fix a wall in the living room. We think the line runs through that wall. If that is the case I might be able to replace it after all. I might see if she can wait till after Xmas. Ill run Quad Shielded RG6, and maybe see if she would let me run a Cat 6 Cable up there for my computer, Sick of Wireless on my gaming rig. I saw at home depot the tools necessary for dealing with Coax and Network cable.

Ill probably replace the 4 way and 3 way splitters with better ones. Im also looking in to a sling box, so that might also be a contender, at least for me.