More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to hapishyguy

MVM

to hapishyguy

Re: Issues with DLink DXN-220 MoCA adapter & Actiontec Rev I

Not clear from your post if you're trying to use the D-Link as a MOCA LAN bridge, or a MOCA WAN bridge. What channel are you setting the D-Link to?

If you have the Actiontec as your primary router, you can't have the D-Link as a MOCA WAN bridge. You can have only one WAN connection.

With the Actiontec as your primary router, you can use the D-Link as a MOCA LAN bridge, but the Actiontec must remain on. It is the other end of the MOCA LAN connection.
hapishyguy
join:2012-10-03

hapishyguy

I want to connect DLink as a MoCA WAN because I want it to be independent of the Actiontec.
According to the diagram above I already have Actiontec router as wireless. So, I want to add another wireless router to DLink WHICH should be independent of the Actiontec router so that even when the Actiontec router is OFF DLink can still work and thus the wireless router attached to the DLink.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

You're going to need to configure the Actiontec as a secondary router. i.e. Disable the Broadband Coax interface.
See "Configuring the Actiontec" in this FAQ:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How to use a MOCA WAN bridge?

The Actiontec will need a LAN-to-LAN cat5 connection to the Linksys (unless you have a second D-Link unit to use for a MOCA LAN bridge).
hapishyguy

hapishyguy

1- I read the instructions on how to configure Actiontec as a secondary router. I did that and the wireless on the Actiontec stopped working. I want the wireless to work on Actiontec also.

2- Why do Linksys need a LAN-LAN connection with Actiontec when I already have DLink. Cant I connect Linksys to DLink? (Please see the diagram) Pictures make me understand better

I also have a second DLink BTW.
hapishyguy

hapishyguy

You said Linksys will need a LAN-LAN connection to Actiontec. Is this LAN-LAN connection necessary. Cant we connect the Linksys to the DLink? Isnt this we have the DLink for? Wouldnt it be a WAN then?

Why do we need a second DLink? You said for MoCA LAN bridge which means the LAN connection somewhere after the Actiontec router.

I need to use both Actiontec and Linksys as wireless routers and they should work independent of each other means if one is turned OFF then it should not effect the internet of the second.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

For the two routers to work independently of each other, you would need two WAN connections. You can't have two WAN connections on a residential account. The ONT only supports ONE MOCA WAN connection. And no, you can't have one coax and one cat5 WAN connection either.

1) The instructions under "Configuring the Actiontec", do not touch the wireless. The wireless on the Actiontec should still work. However, if the Actiontec lost it's WAN connection, because the D-Link grabbed the WAN connection, any devices on the Actiontec (wired or wireless) would not be able to get to the internet.

2) You have to have a primary router to service the WAN connection from the ONT. It can be your Linksys (via the D-Link) or it can be the Actiontec. You must pick one. You can't have both providing a WAN connection.

3) I was assuming you wanted the Linksys as your primary router. In that case, you need to provide a connection from the Actiontec to the Linksys LAN. This can be either Linksys LAN to Actiontec WAN or Linksys LAN to Actiontec LAN. Since you want to use the Actiontec wireless, I recommend the LAN-to-LAN. A LAN-to-WAN configuration would isolate wireless devices on the Actiontec on a separate subnet and they would not be able to see devices on the Linksys.

4) You could use the second D-Link to provide the LAN-to-LAN connection from the Linksys to the Actiontec instead of cat5.
hapishyguy

hapishyguy

Well explained and well understood. Thanks....