share rss forum feed

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to trparky

Re: How to disable the Windows 8 lock screen

said by trparky:

Windows 8 is the worst offender yet, positively spitting in the face of keyboard users

This makes no sense. You press ANY key, and the lockscreen vanishes, and the cursor is in the password entry box for the last user that logged in.

How is this "spitting in the face of keyboard users"? Because Tom doesn't know this? Because Tom is basing this off the CP? Because this is better clickbait?
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

Again, I didn't write the article. I only quoted the first paragraph of the article.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

said by trparky:

Again, I didn't write the article. I only quoted the first paragraph of the article.

I know - the premise of the article is flawed, as is obvious by the first paragraph. The lockscreen is only cumbersome if you try to drag up with your mouse to dismiss it. Which you should not do on a non-touchscreen. Because that, as they say, would be stupid.
--

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to trparky

said by trparky:

*sigh* Can we please get back on topic before this thread gets locked?....

Yes, please !!

The homlier versions of Windows 8 do not seem to have gpedit.msc, so I couldn't disable the stupid snag-on screen. Might I be able to copy gpedit.msc from a pro version and have it work in the home version ( like copying msconfig into Windows 2000 ) ?
If not, there must be a registry key that does the same thing. My quest has begun....

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 recommendation

My guess is that over the life of the OS, by not having a start screen, you will save about 7.5 minutes of time.

The above is based on a two year OS life, .125 seconds required to press any key on the keyboard and five presses a day.

If you spend more than 8 minutes on your quest, you've lost all your time savings for the next two years.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX

said by Badonkadonk:

My guess is that over the life of the OS, by not having a start screen, you will save about 7.5 minutes of time.

You forgot about the service calls from guests trying to use the public computer in the kiosk. The screen is just sitting there with the time on it, and nowhere to log in. The familiar password dialog box is nowhere in sight. And yes, my phone has rang twice already.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 edit

I can't help the clueless of the world. But that story reminds me of when I was in middle school. We'd go to the computer lab computers and write a simple BASIC loop that no matter what key the person would press, the screen would come back and say, "Go away, idiot." People would get actually get upset that the computer was supposedly calling them names.

In your case, I'm sure people will catch on. Although, given what I read sometimes, maybe not. Since you're doing computer support, I suppose the time calculations don't really apply.

What I don't get is that some people complain that Win8 is too dumbed down, yet others complain that pressing a key to get to the login screen is too difficult for some users.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to trparky

This will add the missing gpedit back to the home versions.
»www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-grou···ditions/

Unfortunately the entire Control Panel setting is missing from the Administrative Templates. I did find that you can replace the picture with something different. In "Personalization" and you can change the "Lock Screen" picture.

I wonder how many more lines of code would it have taken to permit "None" as an option for the picture ?

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to SipSizzurp

said by SipSizzurp:

said by Badonkadonk:

You forgot about the service calls from guests trying to use the public computer in the kiosk. The screen is just sitting there with the time on it, and nowhere to log in. The familiar password dialog box is nowhere in sight. And yes, my phone has rang twice already.

How about you change the login background image to be a photo of a hand pressing the space bar, with the words PRESS THE SPACE BAR TO BEGIN writ large across it...

- yeah, that might work....
--

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

said by JohnInSJ:

How about you change the login background image to be a photo of a hand pressing the space bar, with the words PRESS THE SPACE BAR TO BEGIN writ large across it...
- yeah, that might work....

This image would work just as well!

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 recommendation

Always reminds me of this...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=gugbMw4LigY

I think I'll order a TAB... Ohh! No time for that now, the computers starting!