NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru

Re: [Business] IPv6 Availability

The trial coming up is geared to users with a CCR modem. If you have business class service with a modem that has been approved for IPv6 look here under the IPv6 tab: »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· 1&sc=619 then you should be good to go (if your on an enabled CMTS).

If you have business class service with a CCR modem it is not setup yet. I am also not sure about SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode, I have not tested that so I cant say yes\no to it.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by NetDog:

If you have business class service with a CCR modem it is not setup yet. I am also not sure about SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode, I have not tested that so I cant say yes\no to it.

I had no problems with using the Comcast native dual stack IPv4/IPv6 with the SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode with the 1.4.0.49.7-CCR IPv4 only firmware: »Re: [IPv6] Evidence of Comcast IPv6 CPE Dual Stack (CPE and CPEP

The only problem I had with my SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode was that some Comcast CSRs would routinely do a factory reset on it and take it out of bridge mode (supposedly because Comcast management told them that they had to do that on any SMCD3G-CCR that they found to be in bridge mode). It did not take too many of those resets before I gave up and purchased an SB6121 (actually I first tried to lease an SB612x, but Comcast could/would not do that).

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Just keep on calling and they'll swap it. Another problem with the bridged SMC is you can not access the diagnostics.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by joako:

Just keep on calling and they'll swap it.

Actually, at one point, Comcast did dispatch a tech to my office who was supposed to swap the SMCD3G with an SB612x, but when he arrived he did not have that information on his work order (he had been told only that he needed to test the SMCD3G and the connection), and he did not have any SB612x modems on his truck or back at the local office either. He did have a beatup looking SMC8014 on his truck, but I refused to even consider that swap since it would not be able to support IPv6 even in bridge mode (although at least its static mso password would have allowed me to put it into bridge mode myself). I was billed $99.95 for that boondoggle (I refused to pay it, but that is another story).
said by joako:

Another problem with the bridged SMC is you can not access the diagnostics.

Yes, I am aware of that problem, but at least the CSRs who needed to reset it for testing would usually put it back into bridge mode themselves (or call for tier two support to have them do it). It was the marketing driven lackeys who were obviously trying to force me to pay for a static IP block in order to get what they called bridge mode who forced me to abandon using the SMCD3G in bridge mode.
bclbob
join:2000-06-23
Oak Park, IL

bclbob to NetDog

to NetDog
So are we making the document accessible, or should I just PM details. I'm pretty sure I have the SMCD3G modem with a /29 subnet.