how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gaqua

join:2012-12-05
Los Gatos, CA

[Speed] Very Slow Upload Speeds - Comcast Bay Area

Hey guys, first time posting, and after two hours of searching I'm no closer to the answer...

I'm in San Jose, CA. For the past two weeks, I've noticed particularly slow upload speeds. It may have been going on longer than this, but I've only noticed it since I've started trying to use dropbox and upload large files to it from home. However, I've verified it on multiple programs, using multiple browsers, and during multiple times of day.

My modem info:
Hardware Information
System: ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 1.5 Touchstone Telephony Modem
HW_REV: 3
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 1.2.1.25
SW_REV: 7.4.63A
MODEL: TM722G

Firmware Build and Revisions
Firmware Name: TS070463A_011312_MODEL_7_8
Firmware Build Time: Fri Jan 13 19:51:50 EST 2012

It's currently plugged into a router (Linksys E3000) which is then plugged into my desktop, but I've verified the slow upload speeds on my desktop, laptop, and iPhone (over WiFi).

Here's the speed test results:

Here's more modem info:

I've tried the usual things, like resetting the modem, etc. It doesn't seem to have any impact.

Advice appreciated.

BayAreaUser

@comcast.net
Experiencing same in Fremont, CA area. Just noticed it today, but not sure how long it has been going on. Re-set all devices, but no luck.

BayAreaUser

@comcast.net
One othe thing which seems odd is tat Speedtest (Ookla) app on phone shows Portland, OR as the closest server with 0 miles, although I am located in Fremont, CA. Does this Comcast is using some proxy?

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by BayAreaUser :

One othe thing which seems odd is tat Speedtest (Ookla) app on phone shows Portland, OR as the closest server with 0 miles, although I am located in Fremont, CA. Does this Comcast is using some proxy?

Same thing happens to me sometimes. Lately though it's been good about using San Jose (which is whole lot closer)

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to BayAreaUser
said by BayAreaUser :

The test server location that is automatically pointed to depends on the current accuracy of the geolocation information that is associated with ones WAN (public) IP address.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BayAreaUser
Try manually choosing a Bay Area server for the speedtest.
Also are you using the comcast DNS servers for your area? (DHCP prefered, but can be hard coded as 75.75.75.75 &75.75.76.76 )
Some others locate/direct inquires to less than optimal anycast locations.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gaqua
said by gaqua:

...but I've only noticed it since I've started trying to use dropbox and upload large files to it from home. However, I've verified it on multiple programs, using multiple browsers, and during multiple times of day.

also are you sure dropbox or assciated programs aren't keeping something running in the background? (which could eat a good deal of your US bandwidth)

gaqua

join:2012-12-05
Los Gatos, CA
Yeah, I first noticed it on my desktop, which is the only place I run dropbox. Here's where I've tested it:

1. Desktop, Ethernet to Router, router to modem. Noticed in dropbox, verified with speedtest.

2. Laptop (Macbook), WiFi N to router, router to modem. Verified with speedtest.

3. iPhone 5, WiFi N to router, router to modem. Verified with speedtest.

4. Tablet (Android), WiFi N to router, router to modem. Verified with speedtest.

I've verified this while the other systems are shut down, for example, when #1 is turned off, the rest of the systems are still slow.

BayAreaUser

@comcast.net
tshirt: yes, I have been manually using Bay Area servers in Speedtest app.

BTW, Concast upload speed at my location in Fremont, CA seems to be back to normal today. No idea what was going on, and no updates from Comcast either.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to gaqua
Have you tried it with a PC connected directly to the modem (restart the modem when doing this), or checking your router's QoS or WMM settings?
--
KI6RIT

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gaqua
the other thing would be to call it in.
It maybe a known problem, maintaince or upgrades they are working on...but it's always possible it's something they haven't noticed or had many reports on yet, and YOUR calls might be the ones that get the fix started.

scotpig

join:2004-01-01
Martinez, CA
Good call tshirt...When I called the other day to verify my speeds on their end...they told me the slow test results were probably due to "inclimate weather"???
I'm betting that thousands of CC customers are having this problem and either don't notice it, or don't care...If everyone that had glitches called and flooded their call centers every time it happened, maybe they'd be more "on the ball" about it. On another note, it'd be nice, not to mention more proactive on CC part, if they had phone-techs help customers optimize their settings (router, tcp/ip etc) when ppl called in, not just walk you thru how to power cycle your equipment and ultimately saying they'll need to have a tech come out to test their lines... They could totally do a LOT more over the phone than they do...Just my opinion.