share rss forum feed

taytong888

join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON
reply to taytong888

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

Click for full size
toronto pingtest result
Above is the result of pinging toronto.pingtest.net (74.209.160.10) via the command line.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
Unfortunately that's not a good IP (ie toronto.speedtest.net resolves to an IP in the US somewhere, then it uses some private address to get back to the local site), if you want to ping something close, 64.140.114.1 is a good number.

Can you PM me your account #, I'd like to take a look.

Thanks.

taytong888

Nepean, ON
Hello rocca,

Last night I flashed my Netgear router to run on a recent version of DD-WRT firmware and enabled QOS to give VOIP a "premium" or maximum bandwidth. I suspect this may have something to do with poor results tonight. Here are the speedtest.net results AFTER I disabled QOS feature, at the same time Outpost Free firewall suite is still being suspended:

On the other hand, speed test results with QOS enabled:

QOS parameters & values:

Port: WAN

Packet Scheduler: HFSC

Uplink (kbps): 320 (based on 80% of (erroneously low) upload speed)

Downlink (kbps): 11200 (based on 90% of (erroneously low) download speed)

I think for now I will disable QOS in the router as long as the quality of VOIP phone conversations is not affected.

taytong888

Nepean, ON
Latest results based on QOS being disabled:

>

I would still love to have a higher upload speed similar to Cogeco's. Perhaps I should ask Santa Claus.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to taytong888
said by taytong888:

Last night I flashed my Netgear router to run on a recent version of DD-WRT firmware and enabled QOS to give VOIP a "premium" or maximum bandwidth. I suspect this may have something to do with poor results tonight. Here are the speedtest.net results AFTER I disabled QOS feature, at the same time Outpost Free firewall suite is still being suspended:
I think for now I will disable QOS in the router as long as the quality of VOIP phone conversations is not affected.

Thanks for the followup. I seem to recall someone else having this exact problem with DD-WRT a week or two back in the Start forum (can't seem to find the reference now), but same thing: slower speeds, then went direct to modem and no problem. If I recall, they did the same thing and ended up disabling QoS.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24
reply to taytong888
said by taytong888:

I would still love to have a higher upload speed similar to Cogeco's. Perhaps I should ask Santa Claus.

LOL !
--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by damir52:

said by taytong888:

LOL !

Rocca Claus ?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

said by taytong888:

Thanks for the followup. I seem to recall someone else having this exact problem with DD-WRT a week or two back in the Start forum (can't seem to find the reference now), but same thing: slower speeds, then went direct to modem and no problem. If I recall, they did the same thing and ended up disabling QoS.

This same scenario happened to me (though I don't think that I posted about it at the time).

It was during the period that some folks were reporting faster than expected speeds in Cogeco-Land on START, as Start was testing these on exisiting accounts, prior to offering them officially, as well as to give a bit of a bonus to those of us who had had to 'tolerate' 16/1 service (instead of 20/1.5) earlier on for a while.

I did not notice this speed increase at first, but after troubleshooting and brainstorming, I turned off my QoS in Tomato in my router, and immediately I experienced a major improvement.

I too have left QoS disabled for now, manage p2p manually within the apps, and my VoIP seems reasonable so far.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

said by taytong888:

Run the latest firmware and QoS is fixed.

taytong888

Nepean, ON
Hi geokilla,

By "the latest firmware" do you mean DD-WRT SP24 Build 18946?

I am using eko Build 17990 mini.