share rss forum feed

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

Upcoming maintenance - Red zone

As previously eluded to, we are adding a second link to Red this week which is tentatively scheduled for the 11th. Like the last one we don't anticipate any downtime and will be keeping an eye on the upgrade closely during the maintenance window. This second link will double our connectivity to them to help keep us ahead of any capacity issues. I'll update this thread once the upgrade has been completed.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Thanks for the heads up.

Cogeco is double the capacity also I believe?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Yes, Cogeco one was completed Nov 29th.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Sweet!

bestjsg

join:2002-03-13
Markham, Ont
reply to rocca
thanks !

In simple term, does this mean this second link will help inconsistent speeds ?

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by bestjsg:

In simple term, does this mean this second link will help inconsistent speeds ?

Depends on the source of the inconsistent speeds. If Start has been bumping into the top speed of their "Red" link on occasion, then yes. Any other cause, then no.

The impression that I've gotten is that they haven't maxed out the existing "Red" link yet, this is purely to stay ahead of the game. If I'm correct about that, this wouldn't help with any inconsistent speeds you're currently getting.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
+1

bestjsg, you still having issues with the new modem? If so please PM me and we can take another look.

bestjsg

join:2002-03-13
Markham, Ont
so far , only one night I had slow downs, not sure if it was the modem or just congestion, I will keep monitoring (in fact , my daughter will LET ME KNOW when that happens..LOL) , will definitely lend your help when it gets worse.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Glad things look good now.

Generally there is more variability in cable service speeds during peak times, especially the faster profiles, whereas DSL is generally slower at the same price point but always the same consistent speed.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to rocca
Completed as scheduled.