uniqs
taytong888
join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON

taytong888 to rocca

to rocca

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

Hello rocca,

Last night I flashed my Netgear router to run on a recent version of DD-WRT firmware and enabled QOS to give VOIP a "premium" or maximum bandwidth. I suspect this may have something to do with poor results tonight. Here are the speedtest.net results AFTER I disabled QOS feature, at the same time Outpost Free firewall suite is still being suspended:

On the other hand, speed test results with QOS enabled:

QOS parameters & values:

Port: WAN

Packet Scheduler: HFSC

Uplink (kbps): 320 (based on 80% of (erroneously low) upload speed)

Downlink (kbps): 11200 (based on 90% of (erroneously low) download speed)

I think for now I will disable QOS in the router as long as the quality of VOIP phone conversations is not affected.
taytong888

taytong888

Latest results based on QOS being disabled:

>

I would still love to have a higher upload speed similar to Cogeco's. Perhaps I should ask Santa Claus.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to taytong888

Premium Member

to taytong888
said by taytong888:

Last night I flashed my Netgear router to run on a recent version of DD-WRT firmware and enabled QOS to give VOIP a "premium" or maximum bandwidth. I suspect this may have something to do with poor results tonight. Here are the speedtest.net results AFTER I disabled QOS feature, at the same time Outpost Free firewall suite is still being suspended:
I think for now I will disable QOS in the router as long as the quality of VOIP phone conversations is not affected.

Thanks for the followup. I seem to recall someone else having this exact problem with DD-WRT a week or two back in the Start forum (can't seem to find the reference now), but same thing: slower speeds, then went direct to modem and no problem. If I recall, they did the same thing and ended up disabling QoS.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium Member
join:2003-05-24

damir52 to taytong888

Premium Member

to taytong888
said by taytong888:

I would still love to have a higher upload speed similar to Cogeco's. Perhaps I should ask Santa Claus.

LOL !

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by damir52:

said by taytong888:

LOL !

Rocca Claus ?
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by taytong888:

Thanks for the followup. I seem to recall someone else having this exact problem with DD-WRT a week or two back in the Start forum (can't seem to find the reference now), but same thing: slower speeds, then went direct to modem and no problem. If I recall, they did the same thing and ended up disabling QoS.

This same scenario happened to me (though I don't think that I posted about it at the time).

It was during the period that some folks were reporting faster than expected speeds in Cogeco-Land on START, as Start was testing these on exisiting accounts, prior to offering them officially, as well as to give a bit of a bonus to those of us who had had to 'tolerate' 16/1 service (instead of 20/1.5) earlier on for a while.

I did not notice this speed increase at first, but after troubleshooting and brainstorming, I turned off my QoS in Tomato in my router, and immediately I experienced a major improvement.

I too have left QoS disabled for now, manage p2p manually within the apps, and my VoIP seems reasonable so far.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by taytong888:

Run the latest firmware and QoS is fixed.
taytong888
join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON

taytong888

Hi geokilla,

By "the latest firmware" do you mean DD-WRT SP24 Build 18946?

I am using eko Build 17990 mini.