MineCoast

Premium Member

Refrigerator: Is this the design?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I just moved into an apartment and this is how the Refrigerator is all the time... is this normal for this type of Refrigerator? It's a smaller unit, only 11.7 CU Feet. It always soaked inside, anytime I take something out there is usually water covering it. I'm about to move into a different apartment which should have a regular full size Refrigerator instead of a smaller unit like this one but curious as to what causes this and if it's normal? This Refrigerator isn't in the best of shape, has rust and dents on the outside.

I should also state that inside the freezer there is always ice somewhere, usually on the sides or on boxes or whatever I have inside. This reminds me of those old Refrigerator from like the 50's and 60's but this one is from 2002.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Should keep the vegetables fresh! I think the important question would be "Is the fridge keeping a safe temp?" Get a fridge thermometer and see what the temp is. Same for the freezer. Should be able to get one pretty cheep at the grocery store.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
I've never seen a fridge do that. I'd say it was a bacteria factory. That's nasty, dude.

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

Bruschi to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

I think the important question would be "Is the fridge keeping a safe temp?"

This by far is the most important thing you need to worry about. If it is over 40 degrees you are in big trouble. I shoot for 36 for mine.

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

Just put a thermometer inside the freezer and will move to the frige in a bit... but to me, it does keep everything cold but couldn't tell you how cold.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to MineCoast

to MineCoast
You might want to check out these websites regarding the safe temperature to keep refrigerated food:

»tlc.howstuffworks.com/ho ··· n121.htm

»www.fsis.usda.gov/FACTSh ··· ndex.asp
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

2 recommendations

HarryH3 to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
To generate that kind of moisture then there has to be outside air leaking into the fridge from somewhere. Either a bad seal, misaligned door, or just a bad design.

ew
@videotron.ca

ew to MineCoast

Anon

to MineCoast
I haven't seen a fridge that needs manual defrosting since the... hmm... the 70's.

Seems to me whoever bought it bought the cheapest thing in existence if that's a 2002 model.

And no, even with 1970's manual defrost "ice boxes" I have never seen that. A bit of humidity, yes. But nothing, and I mean nothing like that.

Having said that, have you ever defrosted the thing? Fridges don't work well when the freezer isn't defrosted.

As for the instructions saying to turn the freezer off and keep the door open for one hour. I would double or even triple that time to make sure ice in the vents clear out.

Try it, let us know if things improve.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to HarryH3

to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

To generate that kind of moisture then there has to be outside air leaking into the fridge from somewhere. Either a bad seal, misaligned door, or just a bad design.

This.
There's no way there would be THAT much humidity in the fridge with the door closed.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 edit

Bob4 to MineCoast

to MineCoast
You have a manual-defrost refrigerator. It is normal for there to be ice inside the freezer compartment. When the ice gets too thick, you need to defrost it, which will take a few hours.

It is not normal to have condensation in the refrigerator compartment. I would suggest:
1. Checking that the temperature is between 32 and 38 F.
2. Opening the door for 10 minutes or so and drying out the interior with paper towels.

In the future, make sure you get a frost-free refrigerator, even in an apartment.

EDIT: Here is the operating manual - »products.geappliances.co ··· 0963.pdf
Be sure to read pages 6-7, about keeping items away from the rear wall, and about cleaning the drain. Also, see page 12, which states: "The back wall of the refrigerator is normally covered with drops of water or ice during operation."

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

+1 on the bad door seal. Outside air is going inside and condensing on the cold surfaces.

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

It looks like the Refrigerator is staying at 43 F and it's at the coldest setting.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

That would be consistent with a massive air leak. How's the door seal?

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to MineCoast

to MineCoast
said by MineCoast:

It looks like the Refrigerator is staying at 43 F and it's at the coldest setting.

That's actually very unsafe. You need to take it out of service or figure out where the leakage is at least. Can you get a temporary one from the landlord until you get moved maybe?

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
This is the overall condition of the unit. I don't keep much in the fridge other than drinks... no raw meats or milk or anything like that. I normally eat over family/friends or eat out or eat frozen/dry food. I'll tough it out until I move into the new apartment. I've only been in this apartment a month or so. It's a bit pointless to give them a list of stuff wrong with the apartment when I'll be moving shortly, the complex was nice enough to let me switch apartments before my lease was up on this one.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

garys_2k

Premium Member

Wow, just wow. I wonder what's causing all that rust?

Does that freezer door come close to actually closing?

Anyway, mid 40's isn't a bad beer temperature.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

1 edit

Warzau

Premium Member

said by garys_2k:

Wow, just wow. I wonder what's causing all that rust?

Ahhh all the aforementioned condensation. The "fridge" is just like mentioned the cheapest type fridge available.

ew
@videotron.ca

ew to mattmag

Anon

to mattmag
The symptoms are that of clogged vents. Clogged with ice from not defrosting it.

Same would happen with todays fridges, or if a circuit board blew halting auto-defrost. Ice builds up in the vents and blocks it. Though I would expect a higher temp.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

1 edit

Pacrat to MineCoast

MVM

to MineCoast
I also suspect that the fridge is not leveled properly. Does the door close on its own if you just let go? If not, it needs to be re-leveled so that it does. It's common for units to tilt slightly toward the rear of the fridge to accomplish that. From what I see, the door seals are shot to hell.

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

said by Pacrat:

I also suspect that the fidge is not leveled properly. Does the door close on its own if you just let go? If not, it needs to be re-leveled so that it does. It's common for units to tilt slightly toward the rear of the fridge to accomplish that. From what I see, the door seals are shot to hell.

It's very possible that it's not level. The floor is wood (like an older home or mobile home) and isn't level and some parts of the floor are higher than others so very possible. The doors do not close on their own. The freezer door is very stiff so it wouldn't close on it's own anyway.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to MineCoast

to MineCoast
What you have is a very cheap refrigerator, likely built overseas. It uses a constant cut-in thermostat. The dial adjusts the temperature at which the refrigeration system cuts off, but the cut-in temperature is always fixed at a temperature above freezing to allow the "plate" to defrost. The freezer has no direct control, it is just along for the ride with the frig side, receiving part of the cooling effort.

For a 2002 box it is in horrible shape.
zach3
Zach
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO

zach3 to Pacrat

Premium Member

to Pacrat
From what I see, the door seals are shot to hell.

Right on target
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to harald

Premium Member

to harald
said by harald:

For a 2002 box it is in horrible shape.

10 years of abuse by tenants. Also probably a very cheap fridge to begin with.

Just seeing the floor around the fridge (look at that huge gash in the laminate flooring), it looks like that apartment has seen some abuse and properly not well maintained.

Necessity
@videotron.ca

Necessity to MineCoast

Anon

to MineCoast
Another thing you may want to think about and do...

I don't know about where you are, but if a fridge is inluded w/ the apt and written in the rental agreement you should go direct to your rental board (or whatever you have in Fl) and file a complaint to get both:
a) a retro-active reduction in rent till the fridge is replaced
b) a new fridge

Normally you would talk to the owner first, but if he stalls or blows you off, then you should do it.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

You need to take it out of service or figure out where the leakage is at least.

you mean stop using it?
AVD

1 recommendation

AVD to harald

Premium Member

to harald
said by harald:

What you have is a very cheap refrigerator, likely built overseas.

correct. "Made in Spain"
AVD

AVD to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
is it possible the coils are not clean?
Do you pay for electricity?
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to MineCoast

to MineCoast
Condensation from door leak. End of story. What you have is a 40 pint dehumidifier with no collection bucket.

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

said by patcat88:

Condensation from door leak. End of story. What you have is a 40 pint dehumidifier with no collection bucket.

Lol, well put.