spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Entre Nous
join:2013-05-14
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous to computerdoc06

to computerdoc06

[Troubles] Re: Windstream High-Speed Internet: STAY AWAY!

I am not sure it will be upgraded at all. At least not in my lifetime.
iowaboy
Premium Member
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA

iowaboy

Premium Member

That would be a safe bet for sure
computerdoc06
join:2012-08-06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

My 2Wire modem/router went out and was replaced with a FAST1704N. Not so fast results however. When your upload is nearly double your download speed...it's bad news. Not to mention the ping times, oh the latency.
Tplord18
join:2013-08-22
Wallingford, KY

Tplord18

Yeah, upload isn't supposed to be higher than download, I have the same problem. Read my post on this forum. You'll see how pissed I am.
FlaCracker
join:2013-12-25
USA

FlaCracker to computerdoc06

to computerdoc06

I have had nothing but problems with Windstream here in Florida. They are full of empty promises and never deliver on what is paid for... yet living in rural Florida you are pretty much stuck with this ripoff company. After all, when you pay for 3 mbps you expect to get somewhere close to that on a regular bases. The sad thing is, I don't even use the internet during peak times and still get crummy results from Windstream!
iowaboy
Premium Member
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA

iowaboy

Premium Member

sorry to say your speeds look about right for rural Windstream connection. Actually about the normal speeds when you get about 1800 feet away from the CO.
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06 to FlaCracker

to FlaCracker
Hardware negligence is certainly rampant across a great deal of their service areas. My connection is spotty regardless of time as well, forget getting on at all during peak hours.

Might as well fire up the 56K modem b/c the speed difference isn't that much better. It's just much more expensive...crooks. Labeling this "High Speed Internet" is a joke.
computerdoc06

computerdoc06

Click for full size
0.15 MB tonight...seriously?
computerdoc06

computerdoc06

Does anyone know if Aaron has left the forum? I've reached out to him and Windstream Direct without a response.
Shep1478
join:2000-11-23
Dahlonega, GA

Shep1478

I was advised that he did leave some time ago..
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

That's a shame. I've yet to get a response from anyone at Windstream Direct. Are they even active in there anymore? LOL, more than likely dodging my request for help, classy.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

Dan, They don't give a crap about us. It is the shareholders they bow down too.
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

So true John. Speaking of, the ETR of the 12th has come and gone. I was told the circuit boards on the DSLAM were being replaced and this would in fact remedy the latency issue and fiber was being ran but it was not completed yet.

Now that the ETR has passed, I get the same scenario. No one admits to any projects being worked on and Windstream Direct states "We have checked with the local supervisor as well as our engineers. At this time, no projects have been approved to resolve the issue with the equipment in your area. We apologize for the inconvenience."

So who's telling the truth? I called tech support as what has become a nightly ritual and they contradicted this immediately once again seeing an open ticket with work in progress for upgrades. I was also told a supervisor would be calling me Monday for a detailed update on this circus show act. Guess what, no call and no voicemmail. Has anyone received worst customer support or service from any business outside of Windstream?

News flash for Windstream direct...issues such as this aren't an inconvenience for your customers. Normal ISP issue's that are 1-3 days are an inconvenience. When you are years into an issue it's more of a criminal act than anything else.

Failure to resolve something in such a large timeline shows nothing but gross negligence. This company simply does not care about their customers, reputation or future.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

You are getting much more feedback than I ever got. They flat out told me there was nothing they could do. There was nothing planned for our area and the only condolence was the $10 credit. Basically, I had to live with it, or get satellite.
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

Windstream never ceases to disappoint. I've been told I would be receiving calls from Larissa or a local area supervisor Friday, then Monday, then Tuesday and Wednesday. Someone finally called today and instead of detailing where we are at project wise, they stated a level 2 tier tech should speak to me and would be contacting me soon. "...Not sure if serious."

I've now been promised for the fifth time that someone will call me Thursday and actually leave an informative message with their contact information (I work third shift and have told them to note this on the account every single call and requested a VM).

It's hard to fathom I've had to go through this much trouble for someone to take 5 minutes of their time to explain the 2 years and counting failed area upgrades and why I get a different story every time I call in or reach out to Windstream Direct.
computerdoc06

computerdoc06

Latest update guys...

The system shows every tech that I have talked to that they are working on running fiber and upgrading the DSLAM. The last ETR was for January 12th. Now it's been pushed back to June. The real kicker was the conversation I had with one gal from tech support tonight. She was rude and argued right off the bat that anyone could call me or tell me anything. She interrupted me at every chance and insisted since I was a residential customer there was nothing else they could tell me. I told her that is odd b/c Monday-Wed night every technician I spoke to set up detailed information for the area manager to contact me and was happy to do so. I also corrected her regarding this b/c I have spoke to area managers before on the phone and via email in great detail regarding upgrades for this area. Even after all this she continued to argue and I finally told her I would just call back and speak to someone with some common sense. Immediately got a hold of someone who was very helpful ,saw all the notes, saw upgrades were in progress and saw where an area supervisor is to call me ASAP.

I should be hearing from him or her tomorrow and getting actual details on why the January 12th ETR has been pushed back to June. Sometimes you just have to laugh off the total lack of structure and communication from this company. It's either that or go mad dealing with them =)
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

My wife told me my BIL and SIL dropped windstream and are now using Verizon. They said it was much faster.
I have concerns about using a wireless carrier. Do you have any info on Verizons offerings in our area? I am still waiting to hear back from the relatives. Wonder why they even have internet as they don't use it, or they don't respond to emails or facebook posts.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

We have a Vz Wireless forum if you would like the check them out and ask questions about their service:

»Verizon Wireless
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

Latest Update:

All techs still seeing open ticket for "latency outage". A 2 year outage is quite the...outage. Seeing I couldn't get any more info on this week I had them transfer me to billing. They ensured they would help make my bill right since I have had years of issues now.

Billing informed me that they cannot credit me till the problem is fixed. That's right, Windstream cannot credit me for a current problem until it is no longer an issue. You can't make this stuff up. I had a small aneurysm trying to wrap my head around their logic. So after the DSLAM is upgraded I can then be credited for all my downtime and poor speeds (receiving less than 10% of what I'm paying for most of the time).

This company has reached a new low. I can't imagine what they are capable of doing next.
Shep1478
join:2000-11-23
Dahlonega, GA

Shep1478 to computerdoc06

to computerdoc06

Speeds from work today.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to computerdoc06

Premium Member

to computerdoc06
If you read the quarterly and annual reports for Windstream, you see that they do not care about the quality of their residential DSL system. They are focused on being a provider to large businesses. They state, in the typical corporate round-a-bout way, that they intend to NOT invest in fixing the numerous issues with their DSL network. They are focused on stock price and dividends. The residential network is good enough to generate profits to support dividend payments, and that is what they care most about.

This company's attitude toward residential DSL is a perfect example of why the USA Congress needs to pass laws that reclassify telephone company DSL services such that those services have the same service reliability and quality requirements as voice services. Then the states need to treat DSL failures the same as they treat telephone company wireline voice failures. The FCC needs to also be given the authority to regulate DSL service to the same quality level as wireline telephone service in the national interest.

Windstream, and similar corporations, need to be told to fix their DSL problems, or the fines will be large and there might be jail time involved for endangering lives with poor service. Throw in something about endangering national security and the public well being to add to it. Send a few of the corporate heads to Gitmo for possible national security violations. A few months of living in an tiny isolated area, eating the special no meat, vegetarian/vegan prison meals that are unique to Gitmo, might change their minds about residential service quality. Make sure to add in some enhanced interrogation sessions each week. It might make the attitude change go faster.
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

Click for full size
Dial-Up or DSL?
Well said David, spot on! It's illegal what they are doing now (promoting a service and at times only delivering 3-7% of it) but they have squeaked by somehow. They only guarantee a certain percentage but guess what, it's WAY over 3-7%. If you are any other business and promote a product that doesn't deliver you either get hit with huge fees and lawsuits or go bankrupt. I remember when Ford sold a few Mustang Cobra's that were slightly under the power rated on sticker and they caught absolute heck for it. The same should apply to this crooked greedy company called Windstream.

It will bite them in time when enough people get sick of paying for internet speeds they aren't close to getting. Half the time pages barely load for goodness sake and this is touted as High Speed Internet. Over priced, Over promoted and structured in lies and deception...that's Windstream in a nutshell. What a business model.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

When my wife bought her new car, the mileage was wrong on the sticker.
Guess what? They are now paying her the difference in cash. Thats right. She has an account and the dealer keeps track of her mileage. She can cash in at any time and continue to grow the account after cashing in. This will stay in effect as long as she own the car.

Now why cannot windstream at least try to help their customers?
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

Exactly John, no other business has gotten away with what Windstream does to their customers that I have ever seen and it's rampant, not isolated. The fact the state doesn't come down on them wherever the DSLAM is knowingly oversold is criminal and makes the officials in charge of ensuring businesses don't rip off consumers look just as bad.

I see where they just fined GA 600K in fines but customers will see little of that and worse yet I didn't see where it was mandatory that Windstream fix their archaic infrastructure. A slap on the wrist and no mandatory fix...and they have already been investigated in this state, come on!

What is it going to take for this company to be held liable legally to deliver somewhat close to the services they advertise and widely promote? Should I start a new ISP and offer 40MB service but only deliver 6MB to compete with them (hypothetical of course)?

Is providing internet service full of this many loopholes where you can blatantly lie about your service, lie about ETR's, lie about the progress of upgrades and so on? So many questions regarding DSL and Windstream and their crooked business ethics. The most criminal infested company I have ever dealt with period.
Expand your moderator at work
mrprceisrite
join:2014-02-26

4 edits

mrprceisrite to computerdoc06

to computerdoc06

[Troubles] Re: Windstream High-Speed Internet: STAY AWAY!

Ok, so here are my thoughts. (as a comp sci grad of 40 yrs w/a chunk of networking exp)
if windstream is basically a DSL service, why can't you get DSL from the local telco? a DSLAM is a muxed DSL service, that makes it a DSL service that is shared (the more people in your CO on the mux, the slower the service=DSL speed/number of users). If the local telco says you cant get DSL 1) why not? 2) how come windstream can? 3) How many feet are you from CO. Currently telcos limit it to 18000 ft (used to be 20-22000). The telco will be more likely to do something about speed problems, more than likely windstream dont want to pay the telco for more bandwidth.
I almost daily function in 4 locations in so cal, all within about 50 miles of anaheim. My goal is always to get usable phone and internet service at the least cost.
at home2 here between Murrieta/ Fallbrook that cant get cable, dsl or much cell signal except by climbing a ladder, At one point I even tried a cell amp + yagi and did get 1-2 mbps (complete with solar panel and battery for the amp).
Here I am using exede satellite service (have for a year or more) its pretty much the only option). speed, cost and latency great (4-12 mbps down and magicjack works fine) - cost $49- 12 gig/mo- or their new plan is unlimited web pages and email for $65 - its fine for regular web use except for streaming video).
I also have basic cable internet at home1, 1 mbps (netflix is acceptable, really).
At the office when the installer said he'd capped DSL at 768 due to the 20000 ft from CO, I said - Fine, I'd rather have solid 768 than flakey 1+mbps. I can live with 768kbps, I dont need 6 mbps - even for netflix.
Well it appears that windstream are piggybacking as many users as possible to maximize their profits. Thats what corporate america does. All these companies, DSL, sat, cable have promos that expire after 6 mos and the rate goes up. It also seems like windstream will keep promising a fix - well, sometime in the future - TBD, always - coming sometime really soon..., yeah right. I am leary of ordering either charter basic cable or DSL at home3, Lake arrowhead -because they both have bad reputations (actually did stream netflix OK through the VM android phone one weekend).
If you need the speed, your options after DSL are satellite (unlim web pages @$65 should work) or cell data (Sprint at least have reasonable unlimited data plans). (or hope that google's project LOON will be available near you (I know I am)).
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

Here in Campobello SC, they have come right out and told us they were going to do nothing to improve service to our area. Then they told some of us, repairs and upgrades were in the works. Then they continued to mail out fliers to all our neighbors boasting speeds we can only dream about. They boasted they are as fast as cable. And they continue to market this service to this very day!

What other business can deceive existing and new customers this way without repercussion?
Then on top of all this crap, the CEO told the press they were not interested in the residential market and all efforts were to be to commercial accounts and shareholders.
This is unacceptable.

Bodybagger
Premium Member
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC

Bodybagger

Premium Member

They told us April for replacing a switch in Lexington that is causing all of our problems below St. Matthews. Da fuq? O well... we bought an unlimited 4g Verizon sim card from someone and we will be trying it out when it comes in. I just hope this Comtrend modem will accept a 4g USB modem. I can't find much info about that.

So, just to get away from Windstream.. we are in the hole $68 for the sim, $30 for the modem, and $88 a month for the service. If we get solid 4g speeds and it stays up... jackpot. Bye bye you terrible piece of garbage ISP.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

My BIL has Verizon. I have not talked to him. His wife told me they (Verizon) put a black box up outside on the exterior wall.
So I am not sure what they have. She told me the speed was three times faster than this POS service from windfart. I will check further to see what they actually have.
dgsearcy
join:2008-02-23
Tryon, NC

dgsearcy to computerdoc06

to computerdoc06

Re: [Troubles] Windstream High-Speed Internet: STAY AWAY!

I can't believe you are still putting up with this. If you get the bill just send how ever much payment to cover the fraction of service you are getting. That will get their attention pretty quick.