spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Entre Nous
join:2013-05-14
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous to dgsearcy

to dgsearcy

Re: [Troubles] Windstream High-Speed Internet: STAY AWAY!

Yea, they will cut off my DSL and i would not be able to read your post.
computerdoc06
join:2012-08-06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06 to Bodybagger

to Bodybagger

Re: [Troubles] Re: Windstream High-Speed Internet: STAY AWAY!

How did your grandfathered 4G sc work? I've considered this as well but they are pricey online and I wasn't sure how legit this loophole for unlimited data truly is. 4G would definitely smoke anything Windstream will ever offer.

Bodybagger
Premium Member
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC

Bodybagger

Premium Member

So far so good. Check out my post on here for the details. Gonna let it ride for a month and if all is well.. bye bye slowstream.
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

Hope it works out for you man and can leave this nightmare of an ISP behind. This may be the best route for many of us if it's legit and stable.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

Dan. Like I said, my BIL has Verizon now. He dropped windfart. I have not had an opportunity to discuss this with him yet. All I know is my SIL told me it was three times faster and they installed a black round device outside on the wall. I need to make a point to call and ask him about the details. My SIL did say she thought the charges were more, but they have bundled their internet and phone. Since I already use Verizon for cell phone, this might be an answer. But it will have to be at a reasonable cost. Verizon is expensive right out of the box. Is this what you mean by 4G?
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

We had 4G available right off the bat in our area believe or not. I used it on the Verizon Thunderbolt when it was out. The only catch is their data is now capped. So you would need to get buy someone else's plan that had a contract before this went to effect and didn't upgrade the phone. You can look on Ebay for Grandfathered Verizon 4G cards. Then like Bodybagger did, get a router that will work with the modem or hotspot using the SIM card with the unlimited 4G plan.

I haven't personally done it but know how it works in theory. The initial purchase is expensive and the monthly fee may be a little higher but once achieved, I think it would be heads and shoulders above the pathetic service Windstream offers the majority of their customers. Let me know what you find out about how your other family members have it setup. Find out specifically if they have a data plan or if it's unlimited.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

I will make a point to contact him this week.
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

Sounds good, I'm curious what they have installed.
computerdoc06

computerdoc06

Click for full size
$60 a month for 6Mbps Windstream DSL. Woops, I mean .031Mbps for $60.

Windstream Moderators, please answer this. How does your company get away with delivering only 5% of what you charge for? This is everyday. It's not a latency outage or due to massive growth. It's due to OVER TAXING your equipment and continuing to do so without needed upgrades.

So in Windstream math, I could get nearly 1 Mbps down for $180 under the same price structure. Amirite? Can we get these crooks in prison already...
cwine
join:2011-04-05
Little Hocking, OH

cwine to computerdoc06

to computerdoc06
Thank you so much for that ComputerDoc...I agree 110%.
computerdoc06
Campobello, SC

computerdoc06

Absolutely What's embarrassing is that I bet any Windstream rep on here (paid to be on here and help customers mind you) won't answer this, much less even respond.

I'd love to have an actual intelligent conversation on how this will be resolved and in their eyes, how their company is able to pull this off legally. If I had no morals, it would inspire me to start my own ISP following Windstream's business model. I wouldn't be held responsible for false advertising or held accountable in not delivering even close to what my customers were paying for.
tonyNM
join:2014-01-05
Espanola, NM

tonyNM

The only answer is illegal underhanded dealings. They are buying off someone in high places....several someones.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous to computerdoc06

to computerdoc06
I had the pleasure (joking of course) of speaking to windstream a day or two ago regarding the service. I had a question about using the DSL line for sending faxes.
Well the conversation veered off to DSL service. The rep had the nerve to tell me it was my fault because I only pay for 1.5 mbps. If I could reached him through the phone line I would have strangled him. If you remember, its when I called to increase my 1.5 to a faster package I was told not to waste my money as they could not provide anything faster. Yet some of these CSR's are still pushing 6 -12 mbps. Turns out I cannot fax long distance on my DSL line.
The web site is still advertising for new customers and lying to them by calling this "High Speed" internet when its not!

Dan, sorry I have not responded to the verizon install. My BIL and SIL are at war. Last thing I want to to is call over there.
iowaboy
Premium Member
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA

iowaboy

Premium Member

all I can say at the moment I am glad I changed more or ;ess to a different ISP. 50 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up. When I started with Windstream I was told I could get 3 Mbps down, well when time to hook up the best I could get was 1.5 Mbps which was fine for 7 months. Now after 16 months they have me down to 500 to 700 kbps at the highest. Last time I called to see if I could get someone to check provisioning the tech was really rude and stated that I was on the best effort plan and hung up on me. Decided I didn't need to fight anymore. If it wasn't for the need for a landline phone I would be free and clear of Windstream. Good luck in getting anything fixed. From my perspective you don't stand a chance in getting anything done. I did stay longer than I should have fighting but when I was able to pay for build out for cable I took it and glad I did.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

We don't have any other option. Its windstream or no internet. This is how they stay in business. They grab your balls and the only way to make them let go is to cut your own balls off.

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy to computerdoc06

Premium Member

to computerdoc06
I know several people that are stuck on Windstream in Lexington, SC that have to reboot their modems on almost a daily basis and they are lucky to get 1 down during the evenings... but supposedly they are pushing fiber now.
Hell, they ask me for help thinking its their computers doing it to them...

When I took over IS at a company a few years ago they were plagued with problems on their bonded T1s... downtime was atrocious and they were constantly giving credits. Contract came up for renewal, I got several quotes from TW Telecom, Spirit, and Comporium and went with one of those guys... why? They offered fiber and 20x the bandwidth for the same price.
Windstream is content to leave local businesses in Lexington, SC on the more lucrative copper than bother with fiber.

When I did not sign a new contract they came out and said.. oh.. we will give you fiber if that's what you want... after I informed them that I signed a contract with a competitor putting us in their fiber ring.
It was not offered up front.... and I heard thru the grapevine that they were not pushing it until recently even if it was there and lit, especially if the customer was on copper because the profit margins are that much higher.

The point is... if they give BUSINESS CUSTOMERS crap service... I can only imagine what residential service is... and that's why we moved to the Richland side of the Columbia metro area where AT&T is the ILEC and they actually do "some" upgrades.

I come over here and read the horror and I cannot understand why this is allowed in a country that practically invented the internet and companies like Windstream are allowed to write the legislation along with friends AT&T, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon.

And then people vote those guys right back into office.... weird huh?

I feel all of your pain... I had to ride out a few years of bonded T1 horror on Windstream.... I just figured I would tell my horror story, not that it will change anything.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

Not only will it not change anything, the very people from windstream reading these posts could care less. They still get paid while we pay for nothing.
When we move from this house and this area, ISP will top my list as far as selectable utilities. If windstream is the ISP, I will not buy that house. If windstream is the telephone provider, I will forgo my land line and go full cell phone.

These people at windstream are the worst of the worst. Shareholders take priority. Customers are the last thing they are concerned about.
They are still advertising this crap as "high speed internet" and boasting speeds up to 12mbps. They are still actively adding more customers to a system that is way overloaded as it is.
How can they do this in America?
I do give credit to the CSR that told me not to waste my money when I called to upgrade the speed.
She told me I was wasting my money and that they could not even guaranty a connection! "could not even guaranty a connection"! And they still have the gall to send a f**king bill.

I am on a $10 dollar credit until June. I need to get another credit asap.
Should Charter Communications come into this area, windstream will have to find another rural community to screw over.

Anyone think it would be a good idea to start a Facebook page about windstream? Something really negative to get peoples attention.

Bodybagger
Premium Member
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC

Bodybagger

Premium Member

I don't have a Facebook but I think there are some out there already. Anyway.. I completely dropped Windstream on Friday. We are still getting by on our Verizon thing without any issues. When I called Windstream and told them I was cancelling they offered to get a tech out to check the issues. I told them I have been waiting over 5 years for repairs. Why should I give you another dime and wait for 5 more years for repairs that never come? She immediately stated "Well since you are frustrated and are not willing for Windstream to help, I will go ahead and terminate your service." Lol... effing idiot. Good God it feels so good to ditch them.
Expand your moderator at work
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous to Bodybagger

to Bodybagger

I look forward to the day I can tell them to "f**k off.
gsxrman
join:2014-05-26
usa

gsxrman to computerdoc06

to computerdoc06
I was looking into getting Windstream at another address, and I'm glad I came across this post.

It just saved me the headache of doing business with them.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous

Lucky for you. Hope you have other options that we don't have.

NotJustMe
@98.20.150.x

NotJustMe

Anon

OMG....we have had an open ticket since Feb. I call them at least once a week. I have had 3 mb plan for 4 years and finally upgraded to 6 because they kept pushing. We can't stream tv at all in the evenings. I hate them. We have no options either. I am tired of paying $80 a month to be pissed. They have supposedly been upgrading to fiber since feb. Its the never ending latency ticket!
kpatt2006
join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY

kpatt2006 to computerdoc06

to computerdoc06
Was told earlier this year that my area equipment was planned for an upgrade in August. Now found out "they couldn't get the project approved" for this year. Which is not surprising, it's been going on like this since Nov. 2011. I got my 2nd response back from Kentucky Consumer Protections person in the office of the attorney general, but they just forward my complaint and Windstream says sorry for the inconvenience, the endless cycle. So I can continue looking at this situation for the foreseeable future. YAY.
Entre Nous
Campobello, SC

Entre Nous to NotJustMe

to NotJustMe
They also tried to up sell me to 6 mbps when i was on the phone with them for another issue.
They said I was able to receive 6 mbps. I told the CSR that they cannot even provide 1.5, so why would i pay more and still get the same thing. Guess what? He hung up on me! Crooks.