Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Right angle MMCX to F connector

Click for full size
Click for full size
To explain it as clearly as possible I have an internal (technically expresscard but it is flush to the laptop) tuner card in my laptop. The antenna connection on it is MMCX according to Avermedia's documentation. Specifically the card-side connection looks to be the female type (small pin looking piece in the center but has a hole to accept the pin from the antenna).

Unfortunately MMCX is known to be fragile and even feels fragile to me and they stupidly designed the adapter so it is straight out to where it is stupidly easy to knock against something and break off.

What I am wanting to do is either a) Find an MMCX to F connector adapter with the MMCX side being right angle and somehow semi-permanently fix the wire to the side of the laptop and run to a portable antenna attached to the lid or preferrably b) Find a pre-made PCB antenna made for TV frequencies and runs to a right angle MMCX that I can feed through inside the laptop and have the antenna hidden behind the LCD.

I've tried looking around for such items but have had little luck. Most adapters I have seen go to N connectors (think DIY cantenna specs and pigtails they recommend) or for PCB antennas it is all Wifi or 3G spec.

Side question I do have is if the PCB route is went with, what real world attenuation would I see on ATSC signals going with antennas made for 3G or Wifi? Or would those specced for TV not have sufficient gain to begin with?
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
said by Vchat20:

Side question I do have is if the PCB route is went with, what real world attenuation would I see on ATSC signals going with antennas made for 3G or Wifi? Or would those specced for TV not have sufficient gain to begin with?

It would not be effective at all.

The signals you're looking to receive are in a completely different frequency band. Antennas are only effective over a certain frequency band.

If a pre-manufactured right-angle adapter can't be found, you could make your own. Right-angle MMCX connectors definitely do exist. It would only be a matter of getting the proper coax and connectors and attaching the connectors. The tricky part is you might require special tools (crimpers) and you have to know how to properly assemble such RF connectors.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

1 edit
reply to Vchat20
»www.mouser.com/Connectors/RF-Int···&FS=True

Side note: I have such a connector for an external GPS antenna. Get a connector made of bronze and solder a pull ring on the back. It will be much easier to disconnect it as you'll have something to grip without stressing the female connector - I've had the "pleasure" of one ripping from the board...

Chances of a 3G antenna of working are nil. You'd have better luck with a piece of wire.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
reply to Vchat20
There are a couple very thin antennas that could be used, Wineguard Flatwave and Mohu Leaf. They use mini-59 cable so you could retrofit a right angle MMCX to it, especially since they have 10-15 ft of cable. May want to practice making the connector up on some of that excess though......

A couple drawbacks (once the connector is on) are the size, they're about 12"x13"x 0.017". They also have a housing for the balun and cable attachment to the elements. You may also be limiting your reception by mounting it in the laptop. But I guess standing on a chair next to the fireplace or picture window is acceptable if one really wants to watch TV on their laptop.....

Retail Wineguards are black on one side and white on the other. Costco has a translucent one where you can see the elements (some warehouses only). Hint-Hint.

»www.amazon.com/Winegard-Company-···063705PE

»www.winegard.com/flatwave/costco.php

»www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Leaf-I···ohu+leaf

You may want to use AntennaWeb to see what channels you could get and from which direction. Caveat emptor:

Indoor Antennas

Due to multiple variables in determining good reception in a specific location with indoor antennas, these antennas are not included in this mapping system. This mark, however, assures that an indoor antenna meets or exceeds CEA performance specifications for indoor antennas in households that can use indoor antennas.

»www.antennaweb.org/default.aspx
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to Vchat20
Click for full size
said by Vchat20:

... either a) Find an MMCX to F connector adapter with the MMCX side being right angle

I have accumulated almost 50 different type of RF adapters and have never actually come across this variation.

There are many more antenna choices with SMA connector which is reasonably compact but robust. Maybe you could attach a MMCX-SMA adapter securely to the tuner and laptop body using some velcro dots?

said by Vchat20:

and somehow semi-permanently fix the wire to the side of the laptop and run to a portable antenna attached to the lid

You will notice that most laptop TV tuners ship with an extendable dipole or adjustable rabbit ear antenna. They provide the best results when placed a few inches away from laptop body. You could attach swivel base with velcro near top of screen and run the cable to SMA adapter.

If you have to stick an antenna on the back of the screen, try something like this proven Chehong car antenna. They are sold on ebay and other sites.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Vchat20
I just did a very quick Google search for "MMCX to SMA" and found dozens of results showing cables with a right-angle MMCX on one end, and SMA on the other end.

Get one of those, then all you need is an SMA to F adapter which also do exist.

What I can't tell you is whether or not the impedance mismatch (75 to 50 ohm) will be a problem.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to Vchat20
Well, the main thing I am aiming for is to be as compact as possible. Namely so as much of it can be left connected as possible when slipping it into my laptop bag (At this point the expresscard slot is in the side that sticks out the top of the pocket which is a plus in this case). But the focus at the very least is something right angle off the card because I am deathly afraid of it breaking off.

If an internal antenna is not an option, I already have two external antennas that came with the card. One is your standard telescoping single element with the ~1" mag base and F connector. The other is more made for laptop use and I assume was designed for this card as it is slim and has an adapter to clip to the top ridge of the screen (or in my case chop off the bulky bottom end so it can be velcro'd flat to the back of the LCD.

Ideally at this point I guess I am aiming for two parts: A right angle MMCX to F connector of probably a foot to accomodate the telescoping antenna or using any other available source (including QAM if desired). I'd rather not go the SMA route for one reason: Less conversions are better. Given I am trying to stay compact, having just a single conversion is best.

Second case is no big and that is just a straight MMCX right angle pigtail and splice/solder into the antenna in the image above.

I'll look at some of the links posted though and see if anything stands out for me.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to Vchat20

One of these?
»www.amazon.com/pigtail-cable-fem···+adapter
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/