Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[WIN8] Outlook Express mail import (years of email) to Win 8?

All my email going back many years is on Outlook Express on my XP Pro machine. How do I import these and read them in Windows 8?

I have finally gotten Dell Premium Warranty support to explain how to downgrade to Win 7 Pro and I have the USB Key from Dell for this downgrade and I also have the USB Key from Dell to upgrade back to Win 8 Pro at a later time)). If I do downgrade, then I can get all OE mail transferred to XP Pro inside Windows 7 Pro, but I would like to know, if I do not downgrade, what do I do about all my mail going back many years?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

Re: [WIN8] Outlook Express mail import (years of email) to Win 8

You can import them to the new e-mail client ;
»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···afc1325f

There are also several freeware programs that can open and view .dbx e-mail files. I'll help you track some down if you like.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
That was a pleasure reading posts from Bruce Hagen. He, and several other MVP's, were of immense to help to me over the many years Microsoft had a Newsgroup for Outlook Express. I was appalled at how Microsoft treated those wonderful MVP's when they decided to kill all their newsgroups and go to forums instead AND decided to NOT have an OE forum.

I certainly would not use Live mail...and that is dead isn't it anyway? I have a wonderful little program called OE Freebie Backup, from many years ago that one of the MS MVP's, Steve Cochran, wrote. (He took it off line many years ago and never put it back). I use it regularly as it backs up all my Identities and does it quickly too. I think it could be used to move the mail to a mail client in Win 8 capable of opening and viewing .dbx email files. I haven't used Thunderbird in years...can I import from OE to it....I don't remember from years ago. If I can, the OE freebie backup is very compact. I have it on an external hard drive so it would be easy to import if Thunderbird, or some other mail client, would accept importing from it. I was gong to use SeaMonkey mail client but SeaMonkey is not supported for Win 8 and the developers (when I asked) are not eager to support Win 8 and SM is not too stable on Win 8. So, I don't know what email client I will use.

I did stumble on a little free program called Mail View that will open OE mail for viewing but I would have to import it all to the Win 8 computer.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Mele20
live mail is rebranded as outlook.com. I believe he meant the windows8 metro email client, which would be the local email client that is equivalent to outlook express in XP.

Frankly if you are going to keep your email local, you should just select an open source email client that is well supported on linux and get your existing email to it so you have something that will survive any changes to windows.

Thunderbird or evolution come to mind.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I certainly would not use Live mail...and that is dead isn't it anyway?

It depends upon what you mean by, "Live mail"? Specifically, Microsoft briefly branded "MSN Hotmail" as, "Windows Live Mail". Probably concurrent with Windows Vista "Windows Mail", the immediate successor to Outlook Express. But when MS introduced the successor to "Window Mail" as, "Windows Live Mail desktop", that caused no end of confusion between the web mail service ("Windows Live Mail") and the desktop client ("Windows Live Mail desktop"). So they "punted": The web mail service, "Windows Live Mail", became, "Windows Live Hotmail", and the desktop client, "Windows Live Mail desktop", became, "Windows Live Mail".

"Live mail", as the desktop client, "Windows Live Mail", is alive and well; a component of the, "Windows Live Essentials" PC application suite.

"Live mail", as the web mail service is alive and well: Now branded as, "Outlook.com".

I have a wonderful little program called OE Freebie Backup, from many years ago that one of the MS MVP's, Steve Cochran, wrote. (He took it off line many years ago and never put it back). I use it regularly as it backs up all my Identities and does it quickly too. I think it could be used to move the mail to a mail client in Win 8 capable of opening and viewing .dbx email files.

Assumes somebody wrote such an application for Windows; which somebody has, but you won't like it.

I haven't used Thunderbird in years...can I import from OE to it....I don't remember from years ago.

No.

If I can, the OE freebie backup is very compact. I have it on an external hard drive so it would be easy to import if Thunderbird, or some other mail client, would accept importing from it. I was gong to use SeaMonkey mail client but SeaMonkey is not supported for Win 8 and the developers (when I asked) are not eager to support Win 8 and SM is not too stable on Win 8. So, I don't know what email client I will use.

I did stumble on a little free program called Mail View that will open OE mail for viewing but I would have to import it all to the Win 8 computer.

If you retain the folder structure for MS Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, a component of Windows Live Essentials, and second generation descendant of Outlook Express, should automatically find, and import, the Outlook Express message store.

There is also a workaround involving IMAP, but you would be exposing your precious email to the prying eyes of the IMAP service provider.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum