join:2000-02-24
Not There

Drex

Premium Member

Cabinet Base Not Wide Enough

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
So how does one go about fixing something like this? I'm referring to the gap between the tiles and the cabinet base. The cabinet that's been elevated is a different story. Shows you how level my floor is...and yes I was well aware that it was not level. I'm fairly certain the assclown contractor who built our home did it that way.

Background:
We were flooded for Isaac. Replaced all of the cabinets. The tile floors were installed prior to the flood.

I especially like the cabinet that's up on stilts.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

That's called not ordering the proper cabinets. Whoever did that should have made sure that the base depth was the same on both, which obviously it is not. About the only thing you could easily do is add more tile into the gaps and match the grout line pattern.

The elevated "different story" cabinet is amazing... How long of a run is there to make that big of a drop in the floor elevation??? That looks to be well over two inches?

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Drex

to Drex
A matching baseboard should do the trick.
If you get a wide enough baseboard, you can even cover the elevated cabinets.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by alkizmo:

Or some molding.

Is this an island or against a wall? If it's against a wall, can you shim at the wall and hide the gap with trim? May be tricky if you have counters with an integrated backsplash...

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium Member
Not There

Drex to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
You are right about the floor elevation. It's horrible...and that's an understatement. I honestly don't know how the original cabinets/countertops were level. The cabinet in question is a small cabinet that is next to the stove. There were no issues with the countertops on the left side of the stove being uneven with the countertop that sits on top of this cabinet. They were even with the stove too.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to Drex

Premium Member

to Drex
You mean that the cabinet is not deep enough?

Can we get a wide shot of the whole area of the affected cabinets?

Annmarie

join:2000-11-11

Annmarie to Drex

to Drex
We had something similar happen when we had our kitchen remodeled.
We decided to make a contrasting strip of rectangle tiles in blue run along that part of the floor up to the cabinets and then actually around the whole floor.

So there are the major square ones in a similar color that you have though we turned them so they are more in a diamond pattern and a strip of blue rectangles as a border.

Looks pretty nice. And one tile goes up that lower part of the cabinet all the way across.

Drex
Premium Member
Not There

Drex to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
Click for full size
Here's a wider view...more or less.
Drex

Drex to jjoshua

Premium Member

to jjoshua
said by jjoshua:

You mean that the cabinet is not deep enough?

Can we get a wide shot of the whole area of the affected cabinets?

I don't currently have pictures available that show the cabinet in question, but I can easily get one. Just not right now.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
said by cdru:

said by alkizmo:

Or some molding.

Duct Tape! (couldn't resist! )

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj to Annmarie

Premium Member

to Annmarie
said by Annmarie:

We had something similar happen when we had our kitchen remodeled.
We decided to make a contrasting strip of rectangle tiles in blue run along that part of the floor up to the cabinets and then actually around the whole floor.

So there are the major square ones in a similar color that you have though we turned them so they are more in a diamond pattern and a strip of blue rectangles as a border.

Looks pretty nice. And one tile goes up that lower part of the cabinet all the way across.

I'll like to see a pic of how this turned out.

Max11
@westlb.com

Max11

Anon

Fill the gap with the same color grout as used in the tiles.
Netkeys
join:2000-12-08
Hollywood, FL

Netkeys to Drex

to Drex
When setting cabinets with a floor that is very uneven you should set the 1st cabinet at the lowest floor point. Then as you move left and right from that point you scribe the basses of the cabinets to keep the top level. Then you don't have any gaps at the bottom. You will have a difference in the kick space gap between the floor and the cabinet shelf but would look better then this large gap.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to Drex

Premium Member

to Drex
Pull the cabinet away from the wall so it fits in the old space. You only need to fill the gap between the back of the cabinet and the wall with one piece of trim.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium Member
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

2 recommendations

VioletVenom to Drex

Premium Member

to Drex
-Remove 1/4" kick without damaging, shouldn't be too hard.

-Fir out the kick space with a 1x4, hold it back 1/4"+ from my red arrow (end of cabinet).

-Reuse old kick over 1x4, miter end and return it back to cover the end grain on installed 1x4

-Cover remaining gap between kick and tile with quarter round
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to stevek1949

to stevek1949
said by stevek1949:

said by cdru:

said by alkizmo:

Or some molding.

Duct Tape! (couldn't resist! )

Black duct tape...

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

chmod to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

That's called not ordering the proper cabinets. Whoever did that should have made sure that the base depth was the same on both, which obviously it is not. About the only thing you could easily do is add more tile into the gaps and match the grout line pattern.

The elevated "different story" cabinet is amazing... How long of a run is there to make that big of a drop in the floor elevation??? That looks to be well over two inches?

The "shims" have me confused also. Why is it bricked up like a water heater in a basement?

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium Member
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

VioletVenom

Premium Member

That is how much his slab is out of level.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

cableties to jjoshua

Premium Member

to jjoshua
said by jjoshua:

Pull the cabinet away from the wall so it fits in the old space. You only need to fill the gap between the back of the cabinet and the wall with one piece of trim.

I doubt he can do that. The granite top is in. To pull cabinets that far off will cause worse issue.

I think either:
-add kickboard (matching stain) and trim (1/4round or similar)
-take out some of the tile (grind-cut) to make a border and put inlays in (contrast tiling).

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to Drex

to Drex
At least they didn't tile the entire kitchen then set the cabinets on top of the tile. That makes it a nightmare to replace the tile in the future.
themagicone
join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

themagicone to Drex

to Drex
Couldn't resit... That is a very poor layout that I would of fixed when replacing the cabinets. With where you're putting your stove you loose that whole corner. Plus if someone is trying to cook they are in the way of sink. Anyways... the idea with the trim is good.

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

1 recommendation

chmod to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

At least they didn't tile the entire kitchen then set the cabinets on top of the tile. That makes it a nightmare to replace the tile in the future.

Toe kick saw. Been there done that.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to Drex

MVM

to Drex
Replacing tile is a nightmare in nearly any event.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
Agreed, but the tile should have been put in AFTER the cabinets.

Annmarie

Annmarie to natedj

to natedj
My floors are filthy right now so please excuse that. We are still cleaning up after Hurricane Sandy traipsing in and out of the kitchen door but I will post a pic ASAP.

Drex
Premium Member
Not There

Drex to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

My bro-in-law and I laid the tiles. Before, we had that God aweful vinyl floor in there. I think the original contractor may have put the countertop up on stilts to level out that cabinet instead of the cabinet up on stilts.
After the flood, I helped remove the cabinets, but someone else removed the countertops, so I didn't get a good look at the one in question to see if it was stilted or not.
Drex

Drex to themagicone

Premium Member

to themagicone
said by themagicone:

Couldn't resit... That is a very poor layout that I would of fixed when replacing the cabinets. With where you're putting your stove you loose that whole corner. Plus if someone is trying to cook they are in the way of sink. Anyways... the idea with the trim is good.

I totally agree, but it wasn't within our budget to start moving things around.
When I can get around to posting some more pics, I'll point out where the original builder left me with a huge dead space. I've fixed that however with these cabinets.

Annmarie

1 recommendation

Annmarie

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Sorry Drex just a couple and maybe they will help. Gratuitous placement of animals.

OMG! The amount of pug hair on that rug is shameful! Damn maid.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

It makes sense to put it before the cabinets. The useful life of decent tile is far longer than the useful life of the cabinets, plus it allows for configuration changes without having to replace the tile. Not to mention leaks are much easier to spot, before they damage the subfloor and cabinets.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by cowboyro:

said by ropeguru:

It makes sense to put it before the cabinets. The useful life of decent tile is far longer than the useful life of the cabinets, plus it allows for configuration changes without having to replace the tile. Not to mention leaks are much easier to spot, before they damage the subfloor and cabinets.

Doesn't make sense if you are NOT going to run the tile under the cabinets.