bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to nitzguy

to nitzguy

Re: TSI West: New low Telus caps, you better roll out cable Marc

said by nitzguy :

Tell me how this applies to TSI?

TSI's price for DSL is quite sh*tty in AB & BC. Previously, Marc replied that he couldn't compete with the duopolies in the West. Telus ain't playin' with dirt cheap pricing and unofficial unlimited anymore. I guess Telus' IPTV has saturated the market, so they won't bribe people with $10 POTS and $10 broadband. Now there is a beneficial landscape to expand the cheaper Shaw TPIA offering.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by bbbc:

said by nitzguy :

TSI's price for DSL is quite sh*tty in AB & BC. Previously, Marc replied that he couldn't compete with the duopolies in the West. Telus ain't playin' with dirt cheap pricing and unofficial unlimited anymore. I guess Telus' IPTV has saturated the market, so they won't bribe people with $10 POTS and $10 broadband. Now there is a beneficial landscape to expand the cheaper Shaw TPIA offering.

Except the upfront capital cost of getting transit from Calgary back to Vancouver...I'm guessing they may not have the stomach for something like that....I'm sure its not cheap to get that part done or I'm sure they probably would have done it...its unfortunate but distance probably plays a role in this. The most "far flung" TSI POIs would be in the London area and that's about 250km from presumably Toronto where they connect back...Calgary to Vancouer is almost 4x as far as the car drives...

Its possible that he can't make a change....and I'm not familiar with any other TPIA in Shaw land out West....do the tariffs allow for a lot of money to be made?
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by nitzguy:

Except the upfront capital cost of getting transit from Calgary back to Vancouver...

Shouldn't Shaw be offering an aggregated POI by now? Or have they gotten off the hook so far on that one like Eastlink has?

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by bt:

said by nitzguy:

Except the upfront capital cost of getting transit from Calgary back to Vancouver...

Shouldn't Shaw be offering an aggregated POI by now? Or have they gotten off the hook so far on that one like Eastlink has?

I haven't checked but if they did they'd probably offer it in Calgary since that's where their head office is....which would still make life difficult for TSI unfortunately .
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

said by nitzguy :

If TSI can resell the current cable packages to the rest of AB and BC it would be quite competitive (except for the startup fees). The only places that TSI would be at a significant disadvantage is in places like downtown Vancouver where multiple broadband providers resulted in significant discounting of packages.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8 to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

said by nitzguy :

I have to totally disagree with you bbbc.

TSI prices for internet in the west are pretty good.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc

said by spock :

Disagree all you want, but for a general home end-user that gets off on bundles and isn't considered a bandwidth mooch (duopoly speak), TSI West DSL is pretty expensive. Having to stomach hundreds to install a basic service blows. Mind you, I pay for my crap upfront, like mobile phones, but the rest of the public are subsidy whores. Too bad that the existing Metro Van / GVR footprint isn't bringing in the expected bucks.

Did Marc or R0CKY have to sell one or both of their souls to Cogeco to afford the cable expansion in their neck of the woods?

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to spock8

Premium Member

to spock8
said by spock8:

said by bbbc:

said by nitzguy :

+1. Compared to the East they are pretty freakin amazing.

My parents who don't need lots of usage/bandwidth/consumption but appreciate the speed when they need it (they have a 6mbps profile) they pay $29.99/month + tax for a total of $33.89/month after taxes, they get 75GB.

The equivalent on west is the same price, and for unlimited its only $5/month more...so for those who aren't considered bandwidth mooch, its the same price so I don't understand your thinking here bbbc.

I won't compare cable in this instance because they're in an area where there's no service...and they haven't complained about the speed or the price, they had me $40/month (2x$20) and I take care of the rest, and they're more than happy to pay a $40/month pricepoint for their service...they've never said to me "that's too much, we want it cheaper"...

So I don't understand, with basically mirroring pricing in that of "The East DSL", I just don't understand where this is coming from.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to nitzguy

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

I haven't checked but if they did they'd probably offer it in Calgary since that's where their head office is....which would still make life difficult for TSI unfortunately .

Until it's confirmed that is nothing but an assumption. It wouldn't make it difficult either.