Search similar:

uniqs
bterps
join:2012-12-06
Plymouth, MI

bterps

Lake Erie Weather Buoy Modem Location Help

Hello all,

I have a quite unique situation that I was hoping maybe these forums could assist with. I work for NOAA and we had a water quality buoy roughly 12 miles out from Cleveland bearing approx 340. It had a Raven 3G data modem in it.

During the hurricane there were large wave events in lake Erie and the buoy either broke free or was lifted by the waves and moved and we are unable to find it.

I have spoken many times with Verizon, but they are not really super helpful. I was able to extract the cell site numbers that is has connected to (337,154,199) but they cannot give me locations as they say its proprietary information.

I just spoke with legal yesterday and they would give me the info but I need to get a court order, even though its our property. The ice is coming in so I really want to try to find this before it gets here. Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Brad
jamesonnorth
join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

jamesonnorth

Call the police and tell them you've lost the device. If you have the phone number for the modem, the police can make Verizon give them the location. Verizon won't tell you directly in case it's a person who stole it and you go and cause a fuss with that person. Dumb, as no one is going to steal a buoy, but it's Verizon.

The police should be able to help if you explain the situation.

Good luck.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to bterps

MVM

to bterps
Aren't there special groups within Verizon, ATT, etc who work with setups like this ? It would seem to me that contacting those groups via official correspondence of NOAA would suffice. There should be existing contacts between NOAA and the cell providers who can work together. Otherwise, how do they know who you are ? Without knowing, one can understand their position in not being "super helpful".
bterps
join:2012-12-06
Plymouth, MI

bterps

Thanks for the thoughts. There is no such group within the providers that I can find, and I contacted other government agencies like the Coast Guard and they didn't have any other contacts either.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to bterps

Mod

to bterps
Without that exclusive location recovery contract you have to do it like anyone else - get that court order.

Perhaps you should mention this to your boss to get something like this setup with the carriers you use?