dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
mstaszew
join:2012-12-03

mstaszew

Re: POTS Splitter Installation Help

I was just trying to install the splitter and was curious as to how the connections were made to the NID. The wiring within the splitter was well understood, but the connection to the EBN had me second guessing myself. It's installed now though and working properly.

The only issue I had was trusting the connectors I bought that said stripping the wire was unnecessary... well... that was wrong. I tried once without stripping and no dial tone. The crimp must not have cut through the insulation. I cut off the connectors and twisted wires together to test... dial tone. Stripped wire and then used the connectors... dial tone. Modem works, etc.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by mstaszew:

The only issue I had was trusting the connectors I bought that said stripping the wire was unnecessary... well... that was wrong. I tried once without stripping and no dial tone. The crimp must not have cut through the insulation. I cut off the connectors and twisted wires together to test... dial tone. Stripped wire and then used the connectors... dial tone. Modem works, etc.

That is a fairly common occurrence. It is often caused by using IDC connectors/splices that are designed for use on stranded wire with vinyl insulation on solid wire with a newer more resilient insulation.