Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Tom's Hardware uses AMD CPU in newest System Builder article

Very interesting stuff. I've been contemplating upgrading my CPU just out of shear boredom, but I can't bring myself to part with the I5-2500k. I have had alot of fun playing around with that chip and it's OC abilities. I wouldn't touch AMD though with their current line-up vs Intel's.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
So the take away from all of that is that Intel pulls much further ahead when overclocking is in the mix due to being able to keep temps and voltage down at equivalent clocks. I'm just happy that AMD has atleast something to compete with, albeit at stock, vs. Intel's offerings. Competition is a good thing.

@Moos - I love my i5 2500k. It's been a tremendously good overclocker for me. I have mine running stable at 4.8ghz but thats with a Corsair closed-loop liquid cooler. You should just wait till Haswell since an i5 2500k is still very solid.

Nobody knows with certainly if Haswell will still be socket 1155 or 2011. So if that does happen, take into account a new mobo with that as well.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
Haswell will be a new socket, 1150 it seems for the mainstream versions. That is the way Intel rolls now for one reason (making improvements without the hindrance of backward compatibility) or another (raking in more cash selling more new chipsets).